EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Billiards Room (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Car Question (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956)

Higgy 03-27-10 08:41 PM

New Car Question

So, we pretty much purchased the 2010 Corolla today and we went in after to talk to the finance guy who of course wants to sell us "packages" do go with it. Do any of you buy into these? Like the undercoat protection, or the paint protection, or the rust proof thingy that you put into your car. And also, what about the Extra Care Protection? You know where they want to charge you extra for 48 months, 100,000KM or 84 months, 120,000KM and everything in between etc... Do you guys get that. Is it worth it considering we're buying Toyota which is pretty reliable?

Thoughts?

msirach 03-27-10 11:44 PM

No, No, and No. The Toyota is a trouble free car and the standard warranty is sufficient. The extra warranties/packages are a profit center for the dealer. For example on a $2000 extended warranty package, about 50% of the money goes back to the dealer and the salesman selling the extra warranty. The sealer is up to you and the area you live in. I never get them. I coat the cars with Regex as soon as we get them.

Higgy 03-28-10 08:35 AM

Thanks man...I did a quick search on the net after posting and saw the same reponses as you said. I'm not going to get that.

What's Regex? I seached it on the net but couldn't find it.

Daox 03-28-10 11:01 AM

I agree with msirach. Those packages are just extra money in their pocket.

I've never done rustproofing, but I've also never bought a brand new car either...

msirach 03-28-10 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgy (Post 6325)
Thanks man...I did a quick search on the net after posting and saw the same reponses as you said. I'm not going to get that.

What's Regex? I seached it on the net but couldn't find it.

Regex is an awesome copolymer that is similar to to the $500 sealer the dealer offers. $20 for a bottle and a couple of hours labor is well worth it. I washed my wifes Blizzard Pearl Prius last week for the first time in a couple of months and everything including bugs melted away. Nothing was stuck.

AARRGGHH. My post count is under 5 so I couldn't post a link. Go to Rejex dot com to read more about it.

Higgy 03-28-10 12:59 PM

Ah Rejex...gotcha.

Well this smells...I can't find it at any of the local stores. BLAH!

msirach 03-28-10 10:32 PM

Find a local True Value Hardware Store and have them order it.

Arkaneinc 03-29-10 08:43 PM

I agree with the others. I have never bought an extended warranty for any of my vehicle. I've bought 3 brand new vehicles in the last 2 years. Never needed an extended warranty either. Most of the time from what a buddy has told me his extended warranty didn't cover what problems he's had with his car anyways. I just cant justify spending that type of money (most people finance it as well) it just adds to your payment.

msirach 03-29-10 10:57 PM

With many extended warranties, they have a $100 co-pay. Statistics have shown that up to 100,000 miles out of warranty, many of the repairs are in the neighborhood of $100. We have a 2008 Toyota Prius with the HID head lamps that fail. My son contacted me last week that one of them is starting to go off and on. It has 33,000 miles and is still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. The cost of the bulb is $150. The extended warranty would cost $100 out of of pocket and the rest it would cover. (maybe) Would they say it is a normal wear and tear item?? If I would have paid the $2000 for the extended warranty, I would be upset. Save the money or at least don't borrow the money and put the same amount in a savings account for a "rainy day."

Higgy 03-30-10 08:34 AM

Well, we got out of the paint protection thingy, so basically...we just bought the car and got nothing else...no extra warranty crap or anything, so I think we're good. Now if only the company that sells Rejex up here in Canada would stock up on their goods I could buy the damn thing. :)

Thanks for all your help everyone, you've helped me out a lot and saved me a bunch of money.

Msirach, I was thinking the same thing when the guy was telling us about the extra warranty packages..."if I put this money into a savings account with interest, by the time I needed it I'd probably have more then enough to pay for repairs plus a little left over."