EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Geothermal & Heat Pumps (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   DIY Earth Tubes? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2279)

mrd 07-07-12 06:56 AM

It should be noted, the described system and calculations are based on a heat exchanger that is separate from the conditioned space. The drawing on that site is in plan view. Each tube in the heat exchanger is surrounded by 6 feet of earth for the heat to exchange with. DirtFlinger's design doesn't appear to conform.

DirtFlinger 07-20-12 12:10 AM

Okay, I get it. It's not the surface area of the tubes you're talking about it's the area of ground maybe not being large enough to cool the tubes and the air in the tubes.

I think somebody mentioned it would be buried under about a foot of dirt, with between 1 1/2 - 2' of dirt between each 4" tube.

I really doubt at that depth that that area wouldn't be enough to cool a snaking tube. After all, if it had any airflow that wasn't passive, it would be sleight. I could probably just use a computer fan instead of the inline fan.

Honestly, I expected more from this forum. You guys are starting to seem a bit boring.. at least compared to the only other forum I use... for diy working on old jeeps.

Anyone know what's up with the stuffy tude?

Daox 07-20-12 11:37 AM

Allow me to provide a short timeline of events. You came here with some interesting ideas and started a few discussions. Then, you insulted everyone on the forum by saying what we're doing is useless (even though it seems you yourself are here to do the same thing), and we're "all stupid f'ing cows". Now, you're wondering why you aren't finding this forum all that helpful.

natethebrown 08-01-12 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtFlinger (Post 22638)
I'm usually handy enough to not need someone to do it for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtFlinger (Post 22668)
Thanks, that was part of my original question(s). Does anyone know the formula or where I can find an online calculator for that?

Nice logical progression. Apparently, OffGridKindaGuy still had to find the equation for you, even though it was in the link he posted.

pinhead 08-02-12 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtFlinger (Post 23180)
I really doubt at that depth that that area wouldn't be enough to cool a snaking tube. After all, if it had any airflow that wasn't passive, it would be sleight.

Enough what? Thermal connection to magic energy connectors?

You will get no cooling from this arrangement*. You are merely increasing your total thermal mass, and changing the proportion of above grade conduction and below grade 'losses'. I started my system like this on Saturday. You don't need burried tubes, you just need to move air from the basement to the top floor.

Hour 1 - 1 ton.
Hour 12 - 0.5 ton
Day 6 - Same temperature as living space with 1' larger depth variable in ground surface area.