EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Renovations & New Construction (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mini split air conditioners (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6790)

Mukiwa 12-03-18 12:35 AM

Mini split air conditioners
 
Does any one have any recomendatioms for a mini split system that I would be installing myself. I know some brands require a licensed tech to instal the unit and I donít want to have any waeenty issues down the road as I will be installing it myself. (I may hire a hvac guy to test the system and charge for me)

pinballlooking 12-03-18 12:04 PM

I have had good luck with the upper line of Gree products. I have three TERRA 9K units I am very happy with but you have a colder climate.
Maybe look at
https://www.greecomfort.com/our-products/sapphire/

stevehull 12-08-18 03:23 AM

Depends where in BC you are in terms of total heat load.

stevehull 12-08-18 08:32 AM

I followed pinball's lead and also installed a Gree unit. No problems whatsoever and straightforward DIY install.

Did get a licensed HVAC friend check it out and supply his information so I have full warrantee.

Mukiwa 12-08-18 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehull (Post 60214)
Depends where in BC you are in terms of total heat load.

Central BC (-25C winters) but we wonít be heating the house with them. Maybe as backup but we have a hydronic slab and two wood stoves.

pinballlooking 12-08-18 08:44 PM

The mini splits really shine in cooling mode.
They cool really well at a very low cost.

Mukiwa 12-08-18 09:54 PM

When we were getting quotes to get mini splits instaled they wanted like $15k for 3 heads so we tossed that idea. Then I watched a video and realized how easy it is so they are back on the table.

Mukiwa 12-08-18 10:15 PM

Obviously instaling the units right off the bat while we are building is the smartest way to go but we just don’t have the extra cash in the budget. Plus we would like to see how the house handles the heat first before we invest in AC. Iff I ran conduit to the locations I want to instal the units down the road what size would they have to be? I’m hoping they would fit inside 2” pvc but do the copper lines have to be insulated from each other? It would be a fairly straight shot from the unit to the instal location so I’m not worried about being able to pull it in.

Mikesolar 12-26-18 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mukiwa (Post 60222)
When we were getting quotes to get mini splits instaled they wanted like $15k for 3 heads so we tossed that idea. Then I watched a video and realized how easy it is so they are back on the table.

$15k? Wow, I don't charge enough.I don't believe you will not find a multi head unit that does not require a vac pump and nitrogen, gauges etc to install. There are some single head ones but you cannot cut the tubing if they are too long as they are under a vacuum. I'm not fond of them anyway because you cannot guarantee how good of a vacuum is in it or if there is enough refrigerant in the system. I have had to add more to some that were purchased by a homeowner and I was asked to install.

WyrTwister 01-16-19 11:57 AM

Get the highest SEER unit you can afford . I recommend 3 separate units , instead of a 3 head unit .

We have installed 2 units in our house , DIY . I had the vacuum pump and mosy of the tooling .

Wyr
God bless

vwhead77 01-20-19 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mukiwa (Post 60223)
Obviously instaling the units right off the bat while we are building is the smartest way to go but we just don’t have the extra cash in the budget. Plus we would like to see how the house handles the heat first before we invest in AC. Iff I ran conduit to the locations I want to instal the units down the road what size would they have to be? I’m hoping they would fit inside 2” pvc but do the copper lines have to be insulated from each other? It would be a fairly straight shot from the unit to the instal location so I’m not worried about being able to pull it in.

I would not recommend putting the lines inside a 2" pvc chase. I worked with a guy that had me do that (much to my consternation) on a 4 head system. It doesn't look as neat as you would think and I pray that nothing happens to the lines over the years because they would have to be yanked out completely. They make 'hide-a-line' specifically for those units. Chances are, you may need to have to access those lines at some point. I've put in several more splits on my own and, honestly, if you do a really neat job, the insulated lines (yes, both lines are insulated) don't look all that bad.

WyrTwister 06-07-19 07:57 AM

Both MS's we have installed are heat pumps . For that reason , both the lines are insulated , as vwhead77 said .

If you are going to pre-run anything , do not forget about electrical .

If you pre-install PVC for the lines , 2" may or may not work . If you do try it , be sure to use long radius electrical PVC conduit 90's . If you use 2" 90's like tou would on plumbing , it is not going to work for the lines .

This ;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-2-in...itting/3129167

Not this ;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-2-in-...-Elbow/3307898

I am cheap . I used white metal rain gutter downspout & fittings to hide the lines . Plus , it is readily available .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-2-...nspout/1005187

Wyr
God bless


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger