EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ikea Reading Lights Live in the Kitchen (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4503)

AC_Hacker 07-29-15 03:37 PM

Ikea Reading Lights Live in the Kitchen

4 Attachment(s)
My girlfriend (who is an awesome cook) has a kitchen that is lighted with dreadful fluorescent tube lights, that leave a horrible shadow when she was standing at the stove cooking. She has grown accustomed to the dreadful situation, and has actually protested at the idea that her lighting could be improved.

Finally, I made the executive decision that I would put in an economic solution to the lighting shadow in area around the stove. I told her that my only problem was going to be her constant expressions of gratitude due to the improved lighting.

I picked up three Ikea clip-on goose-neck LED lamps, that were intended to be clipped to the headboard of a bed, for night time reading.

I got a piece of clear fir 1" X 4", that spanned the width of the kitchen, high on the wall, over her stove. I attached the lumber with two anchor bolts, and spaced it away from the wall about 5/8", so the lamp clips would fit behind. Using this method allowed changing the number of lamps and the spacing of the lamps, so that the light could be precisely targeted.

The lamps have a generous cord length and a transformer at the end. I switched each light "ON" and plugged the the transformers into a switched plug strip, which makes the plug strip the light switch.

So with the lights on, I spaced and aimed the lights where the light pattern would be most useful.

Results were very positive, and now my girlfriend can actually see what she is cooking! What a concept!!

I was right about, "...my only problem was going to be her constant expressions of gratitude due to the improved lighting."

But that is a problem we both enjoy!

Best,

-AC

Daox 07-30-15 07:34 AM

Haha, funny story. Glad to hear she likes it.

Quest 07-30-15 08:56 PM

Excellent! Thanks for sharing, ACHacker!

Q.

Elcam84 07-31-15 09:03 AM

I did led strip light under and over the cabinets. The cheap tape stuff then made a wood track to put it into and attach to the cabs. Used 3 rolls for the kitchen and lots of light. In fact we rarely ever use the can lights in the kitchen.

AC_Hacker 07-31-15 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elcam84 (Post 46202)
I did led strip light under and over the cabinets. The cheap tape stuff then made a wood track to put it into and attach to the cabs. Used 3 rolls for the kitchen and lots of light. In fact we rarely ever use the can lights in the kitchen.

I seriously considered under-counter light. But, for me, I like to cook, and I find the visual feedback relating to cooking food, to be very important in determining when is something cooked 'just right'. The angle of the light from under counter didn't seem optimum to me.

I like under counter light for prep areas, and utility areas.

Best,

-AC

Elcam84 07-31-15 04:24 PM

When they are at the front edge of the cabs it's the perfect spot. No shadows at all. Course make sure to get a white light color. Hard to cook or work with yellow light or the extreme of blue too. 4100 is about perfect for work spaces.

jeff5may 08-01-15 03:14 PM

LED bulbs are perfect for task lighting like this. The little " star" emitters like they are using in the new mag-kites and the aftermarket driving lights have the perfect throw angle, even without any kind of reflector. Same with much of the strip light tapes. I have used it in the last two places I have lived, (I rent) and have just left it there for the next tenant. Never had to change one out yet.

If you like the delay factor of the CFL or straight fluorescent bulbs, all you do is stick a capacitor in parallel with the light strip. The wall wart will then take an extra second to fire the lights up.

SDMCF 08-02-15 05:21 AM

You obviously do things differently over there. I don't think I have ever seen a kitchen with cabinets above a cooker.

I like the idea of these lights though. We have some wall mounted lights above our cookers and they are great. Originally they had halogen bulbs but I changed those for LEDs and wouldn't be without them. In a kitchen I usually want to illuminate the task rather than the general area.

AC_Hacker 08-02-15 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDMCF (Post 46220)
You obviously do things differently over there. I don't think I have ever seen a kitchen with cabinets above a cooker.

I like the idea of these lights though. We have some wall mounted lights above our cookers and they are great. Originally they had halogen bulbs but I changed those for LEDs and wouldn't be without them. In a kitchen I usually want to illuminate the task rather than the general area.

I agree with you about cabinets over the cooker... very bad idea and they pose a fire potential.

Task lighting is exactly what I had in mind. I only addressed the area around the cooker, I want to do the rest of the preparation area, too.

I agree with you and I think that the primary lighting should be on task areas, with lower intensity, diffused light for fill, bounced off the ceiling.

My girlfriend has begun to recognize the potential, and phase 2 should be forthcoming.

-AC

Daox 09-09-15 10:04 AM

How is phase 2 coming? :)