EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clearance LEDs near you (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3876)

oil pan 4 09-18-14 10:54 AM

Clearance LEDs near you

Lows has a bunch of LEDs on clearance.
Some of the larger out door "90w replacement" flood LEDs are as much as $10 off the original price.
They have everything from low voltage track light LEDs, to LEDs that you could put in a table lamp, out side porch light or indoor light fixture all the way to 10w LED floods.

I want to replace all my current out door halogens with LEDs and expand what I have. Problem is the flood LED is the most expensive part.
This will lessen the pain.

I guess whats on clearance will depend on whats left in your store, if you live in a more hippy type area where every one is already buying LEDs the selection might not be so great.
Wher I live power is cheap, so they haven't been big sellers.
Power here might be cheap, but ultimatly I am cheaper so I replace 100w floods with 10w LEDs and replace 300-500 watt halogens with $10 dual flood lamp fixtures armed with twin 10w LEDs.
Swaping a 300 to 500 watt fixture for a 20watt fixture, yeah I can see that paying for its self at some point.
I work out side on projects well into the night.

pinballlooking 09-18-14 11:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up I still need a couple LED flood lights.

gtojohn 09-19-14 07:50 AM

Great, I'll be checking my lowes. I already replaced 6 of my outdoor cfl lights a few months ago. Kept a bright cfl on a switch by the bbq pit. I figure my timered outdoor lights run longer each day than any other lights in my house, so pay back should be sooner.

AC_Hacker 09-19-14 09:52 AM

Although not exactly about clearance LEDs...

I just picked up a quantity of eight 60 watt equivalent bulbs at Ikea for $4.65 each.

-AC

oil pan 4 09-19-14 11:48 AM

Really cold temperatures kill CFLs, so might be time to switch your out side CFLs for LEDs.

oil pan 4 09-28-14 11:29 PM

Lowes is still getting shipments of these clearance LEDs in.
I went there to buy some yesterday and it looked like there were a lot more on the shelf.
Maybe they will get marked down again.

Servicetech 09-29-14 09:03 PM

Home depot had some PAR38 1300Lumen LED's for $10.

sidhqmmty 10-14-14 05:22 AM

That's great work. I'll check it.

Boz86 06-21-15 07:09 AM

Lowes has "regular" medium base 9.5w (60w equiv) on sale for $2.48 now.

Not quite the deal I got on CFLs at $.33 each a decade ago on some sort of special sale, but then again I'm almost finished with my CFL stash.

Servicetech 06-21-15 08:02 AM

Home Depot had some Phillips 800 lumen 2 pack for $5.

jeff5may 06-21-15 06:44 PM

I saw some 60 watt equivalent medium base globes at Wal-Mart today on clearance. Daylight for bathroom fixtures: original price $13.76 marked down to $3.00 each. There were a lot of them; wifey said no. I'll check back in a couple days, and if they get marked down again, they're mine. Life on the package said 22 years.

AC_Hacker 06-29-15 07:32 PM

Dollar Tree - 60 watt equiv $1/each (non-dim)

1 Attachment(s)
Dollar Tree - 60 watt equiv $1/each (non-dim).

I think I probably have fully replaced all the lights in my house with LEDs.

But hey, some of the individual bulbs cost over $16... so why not splurge?

So, I bought an entire flat of them.

-AC

gtojohn 07-01-15 02:10 AM

Nice, I need to check dollar tree. The new normal price at lowes is $2.50 for 40watt equivelant and $3.50 for 60 watts. I think I have one medium Edison based fixture thats still cfl. Getting the ceiling fans converted has been trickier. I have 2x intermediate based fans and 3x candelabra based. The candelabra led I purchased from overseas don't put out enough light. My wife lady noticed and complained. Right now the critical fan light is mixed half led half cfl. I new this would be and issue years ago when I bought fans. It seems because they were phasing out the medium incandescent the fan manufacturer's loop hole was change the base to avoid supplying cfl or led for cost savings.

Sully01 06-23-17 02:49 PM

Nice. I have been looking for some floods lol

medicdude 11-17-17 03:48 PM

I also had 60watt equivalent LEDs available at my local Goodwill store for 1 dollar, works great for my nightstand light. Apt complex maintains the rest of the lights in the unit sadly, still crappy CFLs.

60Watt is perfect for a nightstand or desk light, a little lackluster for a room light, you will need multiple for regular sized rooms.

Everyone should look into upgrading to LED lights, they are just mountains better in lifetime and energy use than CFLs and especially incandescents. If you want specific colors you'll have to drop a few extra dollars, but it is still well worth it in the long run.

jeff5may 11-19-17 11:01 PM

I went to the local Amish mafia bent & dent salvage store on Friday and found a HUGE selection of last year's models of LED lights for cheap. They had a whole shelf full of GE LED bright stik bulbs: 2 bulb packs of 75W equivalent / 14W actual for $3.00 and 3 bulb packs of 60W equivalent / 10W actual for $3.50! Needless to say, I bought a bunch of bulbs. I let momma pick out what color to buy, and surprisingly she chose daylight 5000K.

The bright stik 75 bulbs quickly found their way into the fixtures that were occupied by 14W Ecosmart 5000K CFL bulbs: can fixtures in the kitchen, hallway and staircase ceiling fixtures, and the garage. The bright stik bulbs are every bit of 150 Lumens brighter than the same actual wattage and color temperature Ecosmart bulbs. Actually, the 10W bright stik bulbs are much closer to the output of the 14W Ecosmart bulbs. I just wonder how bright the 100W equivalent bulbs are (none that powerful on the shelf).

Edit: they had them on the next visit! Cha ching!
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach..._140717771-jpg

I believe I paid $5.00 each for the Ecosmart bulbs just a few years back and I don't regret it. These bright stik bulbs aren't the same caliber as the dollar store LED bulbs. Much better quality and efficiency. I MAY END UP BUYING MATCHING BULBS AT FULL PRICE to fill in some gaps. This is uncommon for me to make a strong choice about a certain product, but these lights sure look like they're worth every penny. I would much rather do that than fight with my wife over the last few bulbs. She's trying them out in the bathroom this weekend, and I might not get any of them back...
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...604289_hdr-jpg
ten watt bright sticks vs 14 watt ecosmart daylight color

oil pan 4 01-05-18 04:47 PM

Lowes is cleaning house for the new year they have several styles of LED light bulbs on clearance.

MN Renovator 01-05-18 06:53 PM

Stay away from the Utilitech bulbs with the 5000 hour rating. They are priced low but they don't even last a year. I bought about a dozen of them and keep going back to the store to get them replace within their 2 year warranty. These things don't even last as long as incandescent bulbs do. I think I've replaced 8 of the 12 that I bought already and I have 3 more that are currently burned out. I'm not even going to bother with replacing these remaining ones under the warranty, especially when two of them burned out within a month of being out of the box. I was excited because they were 5.5 watt LEDs that replace 40 watt bulbs. I can't easily find 6 watt LEDs, it seems like they all use a little more energy than that.

My Sylvania LEDs are all doing great though, no issues at all and none have burned out. Just stay away from Utilitech and probably any other junk brands.

jeff5may 02-04-18 01:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I went back to the Amish salvage store this weekend and they had a wider selection of the GE lamps in the shelf. We bought some reveal candelabra bulbs to put in the ceiling fan and more bright sticks. The candelabra bulbs were 2 dollars each and the bright sticks were 1.50 apiece. SWMBO decided she likes daylight bulbs so that's what we got.

jeff5may 02-04-18 01:26 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I had some spare time today, so I dissected two of the bright sticks to see what they're made of. Feast your eyes on this.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach..._131244689-jpg

Ten watt (60 watt eq) have 6 SMD chips in them on a flat aluminum plate.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach..._130734104-jpg

15 watt(100 watt eq) have like 2 dozen SMD chips in them! Plate is only a little bit larger.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach..._132558697-jpg

Lo and behold, no unsightly massive heat sink to be found... unless you want to count the little plastic shell. It's lined in the inside with some aluminum foil that contacts the circumference of the plate, so it Methinksould make awesome little fog lights.

oil pan 4 02-28-18 10:18 AM

The 250w led replacement led flood lights I like are on clearance at lows for $25 each now.
They started at $44 each in 2013.
These are reasonably efficient, 55 lumen per volt amp.

pinballlooking 02-28-18 10:45 AM

Do you have a link I could use some of these.

oil pan 4 03-01-18 05:56 PM

The much more expensive dimmable 100w replacement LEDs are on clearance now too.
Item 796594
These do about 95 lumens per volt amp, nearly double the efficiency of the cheaper ones, also more than double the price even on clearance.

oil pan 4 03-01-18 05:56 PM

The 250w replacement LED floods are item 777415

The Pool Man 01-02-19 03:15 PM

I recommend the Cree bulbs at Home Depot. New they're like $4 each with no sale.