EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cooking outside? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3080)

warmwxrules 07-21-13 12:41 PM

Cooking outside?

Anyone else here refuse to cook inside during this extremely hot/humid weather? Last summer I just used my gas grill (that has a side burner) for cooking meals outside...now this summer i took it a step further and bought a pizza oven and cook with that outside (frozen pizzas/french fries/etc)... We also eat a lot of cold foods (fruit/sandwiches/chips)...but sometimes you want something hot...we also have been guilty of eating fast food a few times (we rarely do that).

I can only imagine how much energy is used to cool kitchens across the US in the summer. No big deal in the winter (just adds heat to the house).

Thoughts?

philb 07-21-13 06:11 PM

I cook outside as often as I can in hot weather for this very reason. My solar panels usually have the battery bank full around noon so I divert the power to a crock pot I already have set up. I stir a few times during the day, bring it in and eat at 6p.

NeilBlanchard 07-21-13 10:08 PM

My spouse wants an outdoor summer kitchen - these used to be required back when most people had wood-fired cookstoves.

Piwoslaw 07-22-13 01:48 PM

Me too, me too!
I explained to the family a thing or two about heat and now we keep baking down to a minimum during hot weather, or at least do it in the evening when the windows can be opened. Small portable devices go outside (toaster oven), and anything that needs to cool down also goes out (pot of soup, for example), often until morning when it is coolest.

AC_Hacker 07-22-13 06:06 PM

Cooking Outside...

There certainly is a lot to be said in favor of cooking outside from the standpoint of aesthetics as well as heat management.

Not to try to discourage anyone from outdoor cooking, but if you gotta cook indoors, a small induction cook-top is a real blessing especially in hot weather. The reason being that the induction cooker only heats up the bottom of the cooking utensil... only slightly on the sides due to conduction, and almost none at all on the handle.

-AC

where2 07-23-13 07:33 PM

I cooked outside on my gas grill tonight. The pork chops I found on sale over the weekend tasted great.

I've spent my life living where it is hot and humid for 10 months of the year. I grew up with a close friend whose house had no A/C in South Florida (5 kids too!). That house is still only 2 blocks from where I live. Especially in the summer months, his father used the gas grill outside the garage, rather than fire up a heating appliance in the house. They also made incredible use of ceiling fans in that house!

Piwoslaw 07-23-13 10:47 PM

One thing to remember when cooking outside is to make sure that the stove/grill is covered from the wind. Wind will reduce the cooking efficiency, requiring more energy/fuel. I know this from camping...

mejunkhound 08-01-13 07:46 PM

67F outside here this afternoon, good for painting the house but to cold for DW to eat outside. Nary a sunbeam all day, at least there was 1/2 hour os sun yesterday.

razor02097 08-02-13 06:23 AM

No I still cook inside. Most of the time I use the microwave since it is much faster but even when I use the range it is still cheaper and easier to run the a/c a wee bit harder than maintaining and fueling a grill. However when I want to grill... it is because of culinary reasons not conservation.

Exalta-STA 08-24-13 11:12 PM

Do you guys use charcoal or scrap wood?