EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GeoBulb? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76)

toyobug 09-28-08 11:00 AM

GeoBulb?

anyone ever heard of these=>
C. Crane GeoBulb II Long Lasting LED Light Bulb, Soft White - 2SW - Smarthome

can anyone do a quick ROI for these babies?

Daox 09-29-08 08:17 AM

According to my super simple ROI calculator, it shows that if you use this bulb for 5 hrs a day 365 days a year, and pay 12 cents per kWh, your ROI will be 16.6 years.

This ONLY calculates electricity savings though. Bulb replacement cost (since LEDs have crazy long life) is not included in this. At the point of ROI, the bulbs would have 29850 hours on them and the LED bulb would be at the end of its life. I'm sure you'd go through a lot of incandescents in that time.

toyobug 09-29-08 09:37 AM

do you think it's worth paing over $100 for one of these?
I'm sure I wouldn't spend over $100 in either incandescent or CFL's in 16.6 years.

Daox 09-29-08 10:21 AM

If your main concern is money I'm sure its not worth it. CFLs will be your best bang for the buck. You'll go through 3-4 CFLs in 30,000 hours, and they only cost $2 each.

If your main concern is energy usage then LED is the best way to go. You are using 8W vs 13-14W that a CFL would use.

IMO I'd stick with the CFL. The money saved could be used some other place for much better returns as far as energy savings and money savings.

toyobug 09-29-08 01:19 PM

CFL's it is then. Thanks for the input.

SVOboy 09-29-08 04:33 PM

I'd still be interested to see how it performs. I like dimmability for certain fixtures...I'd prolly just take the bulbs with me when I sold the house, :p

toyobug 09-30-08 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 434)
I'd still be interested to see how it performs. I like dimmability for certain fixtures...I'd prolly just take the bulbs with me when I sold the house

Are you talking about taking CFL's with you when you sell?

Did I read correctly that dimmable CFL's cost more?

Daox 09-30-08 06:09 AM

Yes, dimmable CFLs cost more (roughly 2x) and are harder to find if you are looking for a certain style of bulb.

bennelson 11-19-08 08:30 PM

I purchased a different LED bulb from C.Crane a while back. It cost roughly $60 (ouch!).

My plan was to use it over my sink, because that light is always on.

The bulb has been great. It is a little less bright than the bulb it was replacing, but only takes 5 watts.

I later tried some Wal-Mart LED bulbs of a similar design. The first one died in a matter of weeks, but had a full replacement warranty on it. The replacement, just today started failing as well.

The C.Crane bulbs are expensive, but I think they are some of the best quality bulbs out there.

toyobug 11-22-08 10:31 AM

$60 is a big ouch! and that was for ONE bulb??? dang!