EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lawn and Garden (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   To rake, or not rake leaves? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129)

Daox 10-19-08 09:30 AM

To rake, or not rake leaves?

This weekend I found my wife raking the lawn. I asked her why she was doing this. She said she didn't know, she just always raked in the fall.

So, we looked up why you're supposed to rake. I guess the the leaves block the sun and can kill the grass. It also is a good idea to dethatch the lawn (get up the dead grass clippings) so the lawn can breathe.

Okay, this makes sense. Kind of a huge pain with a big yard though. I've never really raked leaves before and the lawn has never been that bad (never been great either admittedly). I really don't like the idea of raking leaves and having them hauled off by trucks. So, if I do end up raking, I'll definitly just throw them on in a pile and decompose them on my own land.

Do you rake and dethatch, or just let leaves decompose over winter and spring?

cmittle 10-19-08 09:59 AM

We just moved into a development so we aren't going to have too many leaves in our yard for at least the next few years. In the last place I lived I was renting as a college student so I didn't care about the lawn. The place I lived before that was with my parents and we lived on an acreage between a couple of towns in the area so we didn't have to worry about what people saw. We did rake once in awhile out there but it was usually only after a storm when there were a lot of twigs on the ground, or to make piles for us to jump in.

My verdict; it's fall that's the way the world works. I am not a lawn care enthusiast like some, so I would leave them be.

SVOboy 10-19-08 11:57 AM

Leaves will kill the grass like mad, but if you don't care, then whatever. I rather fancy grass so you have something to run around in in bare feet, but if you want to do something different with your lawn than go for it. I think the most important thing, however, is just to not leave them sitting there all winter.

Plus they make for good compost.

truckncycle 10-22-08 02:03 PM

Leaves can become a problem especially if they are wet. They then form a thick mat. I just mow over them with the lawn mower usually without bagging them. I have to mow slower in the areas with a lot of leaves and sometimes I have to spread out the mowed grass and leaves so there are no clumps but it seems to work without harming the grass.

toyobug 10-22-08 02:46 PM

if you plan to garden, then raking and composting is the way to go IMO. can't beat free plant food right?!?

Tango Charlie 11-17-08 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 765)
Leaves will kill the grass like mad, but if you don't care, then whatever. I rather fancy grass so you have something to run around in in bare feet, but if you want to do something different with your lawn than go for it. I think the most important thing, however, is just to not leave them sitting there all winter.

Plus they make for good compost.

What he said. :thumbup:
Plus, my 7th grader son just informed me last weekend that 'leaf tea' has a chemical in it that inhibits other things from growing and competing with the tree.