EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Billiards Room (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How is the current economic climate affecting your ecorenovation plans? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112)

SVOboy 10-13-08 08:28 PM

How is the current economic climate affecting your ecorenovation plans?

Just wondering. Being a student, this doesn't affect me in the most immediate of ways, but if I were a homeowner I'd probably be buckling up my wallet right now.

dcb 10-13-08 08:44 PM

Improving your homes efficiency can be a safe investment :)

Daox 10-14-08 05:56 AM

I'd agree with dcb. My current improvements are really things that are not absolutely needed and aren't super expensve, but they'll really cut down on costs especially with winter comming up.

insaneintenti0n 10-14-08 06:26 AM

the economy thing hasn't really affected us at all. where my wife an i live, it's mostly government jobs and there's always gonna be money to pay government employees and government contracts.

though yes, gas and food prices went up, but we haven't really changed out spending habbits. If i need a tube of caulk or whatever, i go get it. granted... i'm not running out an getting a solar roof anyway time soon. and money that i have in stocks that could be used for a project like that is, well, low... so, maybe it is affecting long term goals some.

also, we set a monthly budget for energy costs (well, we have a monthly budget for EVERYTHING). but energy is $300-$350 depending on the time of the year. if we're under budget, i usually take the extra money and put it towards things that will hopefully lower my bills even more.

Tony Raine 10-14-08 03:48 PM

I live in Arkansas, the rest of the U.S. is just starting to become as poor as we are :D

toyobug 10-15-08 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Raine (Post 698)
I live in Arkansas, the rest of the U.S. is just starting to become as poor as we are :D

LMAO!!!
I'm having to work here in Iraq, because there aren't any descent paying jobs back home in Mississippi. Missing out on family life is how it's affecting me and my family. It's only temporary... we'll come out of this economic crisis just fine. Hopefully more americans will see the light and start conserving more, and start demanding EV's!!!!!!!
and better tax incentives to use alternative energy in their homes.

Blister 10-20-08 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 688)
Just wondering. Being a student, this doesn't affect me in the most immediate of ways, but if I were a homeowner I'd probably be buckling up my wallet right now.

It's hurting us and almost stopped us from our projects that we've already begun. Unless I have extra work to supplement my income, we basically survive off of less than 10k annually. The extra work I can do is effected by the economy (backhoe owner/operator) and work has slowed to a trickle. We're not giving up though, we still have hope.