EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Billiards Room (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Energy-Pinching Americans Pose Threat to Power Grid... (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4322)

redneck 02-04-15 09:22 AM

Energy-Pinching Americans Pose Threat to Power Grid...

Energy-Pinching Americans Pose Threat to Power Grid

Threat to the power grid...??? :rolleyes:

More like a threat to their profit margin...

>

Daox 02-04-15 12:20 PM

Uh oh, I'm a threat now! :)

ecomodded 02-04-15 02:33 PM

Once again big business thinks the sky is falling when they get a *little* competition , the rape victims are standing up for themselves and the rapists is complaining they need you to stay bent over. What morons / Imbeciles

pinballlooking 02-04-15 04:25 PM

Electric a sector that has guaranteed profit I feel so sad for them.
Instead of raising rates may they could cut back some.

jeff5may 02-09-15 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 43584)

Raising rates will just encourage more consumers to conserve energy like they should. It will encourage me to conserve even more.

natethebrown 02-09-15 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff5may (Post 43646)
Raising rates will just encourage more consumers to conserve energy like they should. It will encourage me to conserve even more.

The only downside is many lower income families will suffer more. They often do not have the means to pay higher utility bills nor incorporate many of the energy savings methods that are very effective...I suppose there will eventually (if not already) another Gov subsidy for utility bills as well.

where2 02-09-15 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 43580)
Uh oh, I'm a threat now! :)

How's my electric utility going to be able to afford to refuel and service the helicopter that brings their CEO to work flying over my house every morning without the extra $900 a year I used to send them? :rolleyes:

jeff5may 02-10-15 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natethebrown (Post 43666)
The only downside is many lower income families will suffer more. They often do not have the means to pay higher utility bills nor incorporate many of the energy savings methods that are very effective...I suppose there will eventually (if not already) another Gov subsidy for utility bills as well.

The CEO of the TVA said it best: the original and main purpose of power utilities is to improve the quality of life, not to turn a hefty profit. I feel no pity for greedy corporate executives or the woes they inherit. If they cannot (or are unwilling to) compete with modern methods of self-generation, they will be replaced by natural selection.

Xringer 02-14-15 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 43584)

You hit the nail on the head..
If they cut back, less people would be calling the solar installers..
Less people would be going off the grid..

But, they are too shortsighted to understand they are going to drive down power use even more.
(Increase gas to $7 a gallon and increase bicycle use by %40).. :o

22.24 cents per KWH... Sure seems high. It has me looking at the
backyard and wondering about adding some real solar back there..

Make a real solar farm like this one..

http://house.mdodd.com/images/update...pv_bracing.jpg

The problem is, how high should it be off the ground? Snow is getting deeper by the year..
Turns out, 3 feet is no longer high enough.. :(

where2 02-14-15 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xringer (Post 43748)
The problem is, how high should it be off the ground? Snow is getting deeper by the year...Turns out, 3 feet is no longer high enough.. :(

Honestly, how many days of the year is the snow really deeper than 3' in your yard? If it stayed stacked up for more than 2 months, I might get concerned about diminishing returns. If it's really only stacked 3' for less than a month, I wouldn't worry about it. There's 10+ more months where the sun shines.

22.24 cents per kWh is high, but so is the cost of moving to where electricity is cheaper. My challenge is staying ahead of the ever increasing cost curve on all my expenses in life. When the highest monthly electric bill for my all electric house is $68, I've got money to devote to other things...