EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Renovations & New Construction (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Building a large shop with SIPS (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3970)

Daox 12-11-14 11:27 AM

*poke* for pics! :)

pinballlooking 12-11-14 11:50 AM

I will second the picture request. This building method is very interesting.

stevehull 12-11-14 06:54 PM

OK, OK. . . I will figure out how to get the pictures on the cell phone transferred. Latest is that over head shop lights are installed, outside stained and overhead doors/windows installed.

Got an interesting mosquito borne tropical virus while in Puerto Rico several weeks back and that has slowed me down (chikugunya). Sadly, lots of muscle aches and a long time for full recovery. Not whining and still working like I always do on the farm (and now shop) but it has made me think . . . .

Steve

greif 12-12-14 04:32 PM

Any worry about moisture and the OSB on the sips? I would worry about water wicking up the edges of the OSB in a shed environment

Post pics please we are interested

theoldwizard1 12-12-14 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greif (Post 42194)
Any worry about moisture and the OSB on the sips? I would worry about water wicking up the edges of the OSB in a shed environment.

OSB, like any sheeting should never touch dirt or even concrete. The recommend installation is a "nailer" attached to to the PT sill plate. In this example the nailer appears to be a 2x4 and the sill plate a 2x6.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...4&d=1418429809

AC_Hacker 12-13-14 10:50 PM

Edge Gluing to OSB vs. Tornado Alley

1 Attachment(s)
SH,

This roof-wall attachment looks a bit flakey to me...

You are anchoring your roof to a 2 x 6-ish that has its edges glued to OSB??

Really? Glued to OSB??

I looked up Arcadia, OK map and here's what I got:

Then I Goggled "Tornado Alley Map", and here's what I got:

SH, is my imagination, or is Arcadia at the very heart of Tornado Alley?

With global weather changing, the tornadoes could get even stronger and more frequent? What are the chances?

Maybe Tornado Alley will move to Texas, where it belongs, and just leave Oklahoma alone.

Oh, it's already in Texas...

-AC

stevehull 12-14-14 06:07 AM

AC,

The connection of the wall to the roof is done with the aid of 2x6 trusses. Furthermore, I used steel strapping screwed on the truss top and then down the side of the wall (each two feet). I also used J bolts in the concrete on 4 foot centers (code 10 feet) to additionally prevent lift.

The schematic that was posed on SIP construction is only one of many that are out there. I choose to add in strapping, extra point nailing, and far more construction adhesive than was called for. Then on the exterior, I put on plywood and 2 inch vertical battens every foot to further hold the plywood on. That further strengthens the exterior.

As for tornados. Every region has weather issues and these really scared me when we first moved here some 30 years ago. The risk is NOT tornados as the likelihood of a given sq mile being hit is once every 400 years. Rather, it is ice storms and those don't excite people like a whirling tornado.

Took a lot of photos yesterday. Now I will get daughter to help me transfer them from phone to computer and then from computer to here. Had to laugh as the first photos have green leaves on the trees!

Steve

theoldwizard1 12-14-14 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehull (Post 42250)
The connection of the wall to the roof is done with the aid of 2x6 trusses.

Trusses are not typically required. Panels can be side joined using several different methods, include 2by or wood I-beam. This style of construction uses a load carry center ridge beam, typically something like a 4x12 glu-lam.

Quote:

The schematic that was posed on SIP construction is only one of many that are out there.
True !
Quote:

I choose to add in strapping, extra point nailing, and far more construction adhesive than was called for.
Good idea in an area the is subject to high winds !

What I always want to know is how do the carpenters shoot those long screws perpendicular to the roof deck in 2 planes ?

stevehull 12-14-14 10:43 AM

Old wizard,

I too was amazed that ~ 2000 9 inch crews were used to screw down the 7 inch roof SIP panels into the trusses and only three missed the trusses! And those only by 1/8 th inch. They struck a chalk line on the roof decking as they put up the panels, but they were careful to drive in the screws exactly perpendicular in both directions.

This is where I had help from a contractor that, before this job, had never used SIPS. He was amazed at the strength, quickness of putting it up and how straight and true everything was. He says he will not ever build a "stick" wall again.

Forgot who asked, but this 5/8 inch oriented strand board (OSB) on either side of the SIPS is not the stuff you get at big box stores. Rather, it is far more stable in the presence of water and actually can be left out in open conditions (rain, snow, etc) for 6 months with no degradation. It looks like a resin or something is in it.

Steve

theoldwizard1 12-14-14 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehull (Post 42303)
This is where I had help from a contractor that, before this job, had never used SIPS. He was amazed at the strength, quickness of putting it up and how straight and true everything was.

Big benefits !
You may have mentioned it, but I will ask again.

How were the wall sections connected ?

Some designs use standard 2by for the spline, some use OSB strips that just slip in a slot just behind the inner and outer OSB (no cold spot from the 2by).