EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Geothermal & Heat Pumps (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hybrid Water Heater (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1192)

Patrick 10-18-10 07:35 PM

Hybrid Water Heater

I decided to go ahead and get a hybrid water and install it before the tax rebate (30%) runs out at the end of this year.

I went with the Rheem from Home Depot.Rheem EcoSense 50 gal. Hybrid Electric Water Heater with Heat Pump technology - HP50ES at The Home Depot

I ordered it online and they delivered it to my house for free. It took about 5 days to get here. According to the EPA sticker it only uses $284 worth of electricity per year, which is about half the average. So payback should be about 4 years (after the tax rebate). That beats the heck out of anything I could do with a wind turbine or solar PV.

I had also looked at the GE offering from Lowes, but decided against it because it requires 7" of space behind it and I just don't have that kind of room to install it. Shop GE 50-Gallon GeoSpring™ Hybrid Water Heater at Lowes.com

The GE does have a better Coefficient Of Performance (2.35) than the Rheem (2.0). Also, the Rheem has unconventional water pipe connections that will require me to redo some of the plumbing. But the GE requires more space overhead to remove the air filter.

So now my garage will be cooler in the summer (good) and colder in the winter (bad). But I don't do much in the garage in the winter time.

strider3700 10-18-10 10:27 PM

interesting, I've never heard of a hybrid HW setup before. They aren't in the local home depot or rona at least. My electric tank is effectively silent but my heat pump is anything but. How does one of these compare noise wise?

Patrick 10-19-10 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider3700 (Post 8749)
interesting, I've never heard of a hybrid HW setup before. They aren't in the local home depot or rona at least. My electric tank is effectively silent but my heat pump is anything but. How does one of these compare noise wise?

I'm not sure on the noise. The static displays in the stores here weren't hooked up so they were silent. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but plan to in the next few days. I'll report back. My current electric element heater is silent though, so I would imagine there will be some increase in noise from the new unit.

Daox 10-19-10 08:39 AM

Very interesting. I know a few forum members have looked into these and will be interested to hear your results with it!

Patrick 10-22-10 08:25 AM

I got it hooked up. It does make some noise when the compressor is running. It's louder than my refrigerator, but quieter than my central air conditioner. It has a circulation pump that's almost silent when it is running. Since the heater is in my garage, I can't hear it at all when I'm in the house. If it were mounted in an alcove inside a home you might be able to hear it, but if the alcove had a door on it I doubt you would notice it. The unit is really quite sophisticated - it has computer controls to maximize energy efficiency and protect the compressor. I'll try to take some pictures and post them up later today.

PS - I was amazed at how small the power wires were inside the unit. I'd say they were maybe 18 gauge, 16 gauge at the most. Way smaller than the wires in the old heater.

Patrick 10-23-10 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pix of the heater.

NiHaoMike 10-23-10 07:07 PM

I find it interesting that it uses R-410a even in a high temperature application.

RobertSmalls 10-28-10 09:22 PM

What does the "energy saver" mode do?

Where is its cold sink, and does this thing blow out cold air?

Patrick 10-28-10 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 8895)
What does the "energy saver" mode do?

Where is its cold sink, and does this thing blow out cold air?

Energy Saver just uses the heat pump. Normal uses the heat pump with resistive heating element backup.

The heat source is the air in the garage. It blows out cold air and transfers the heat from the air into the water in the tank.

Patrick 10-28-10 09:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics: