EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Geothermal & Heat Pumps (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hybrid Water Heater (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1192)

strider3700 12-03-10 12:57 AM

136 light bulbs in the house? How is that possible? A quick count in my head puts me at 30 for a 2400 sqft house...

Hv23t 12-03-10 10:23 AM

That's funny that's the same thing I was thinking when I was making a list of the bulbs I needed. There is 21 bulbs in my bedroom/bathroom alone. House is fairly large, lots of patio around the house with lights too.

Patrick 12-04-10 02:08 PM

I've got 71 at my place.

knowbodies 12-04-10 08:26 PM

39 not counting Christmas lights. My total includes exactly 1 incandescent that requires a laddder and a screwdriver to change. It's been on for about an hour in the past year.

North_Pole_Guy 12-24-10 01:21 PM

Have you guys ever seen the AirTap? It is an add on unit, I bought one this fall and was waiting unit spring to put it on and give it a try, I like the idea of venting the cold air from it into a cold storage area, that is a great idea...

Patrick 12-24-10 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Pole_Guy (Post 10555)
Have you guys ever seen the AirTap? It is an add on unit, I bought one this fall and was waiting unit spring to put it on and give it a try, I like the idea of venting the cold air from it into a cold storage area, that is a great idea...

Yes, I have heard of those and thought about getting one but didn't because Consumer Reports said you have to change the anode rod every year and I didn't like the fact that AirTap says to turn off the regular heating elements so you have no backup.

If you live in the U.S. you might want to look into hooking your unit up in the next week - I think it qualifies for the 30% income tax credit, but only if it's put in service in 2010.

North_Pole_Guy 12-24-10 02:56 PM

I seen that their web site also sells a refillable anode rod..
they must recommend that you change it every year so that in a worst case situation you don't corrode the copper tubing you run down into the heater.
I would think that you would be able to just turn down your thermostat on your water heater to just below the working temp of this unit so that it can act as a back up..

As for the tax credit not to excited about it, not sure if it would amount to much.
unit was fairly reasonable want to say like $600 without shipping.

Patrick 12-24-10 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Pole_Guy (Post 10559)
As for the tax credit not to excited about it, not sure if it would amount to much.
unit was fairly reasonable want to say like $600 without shipping.

Well $180 is not too shabby in my book. :confused:

RobertSmalls 12-24-10 04:29 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but there's 11 bulbs in my house (2 in appliances) and 4 in the garage. That's 3 incandescents, 2 linear fluorescents, and 10 CFLs, for roughly $25 in lighting. It's all staying here when I move out.

Patrick 12-24-10 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 10563)
I know I'm late to the party, but there's 11 bulbs in my house (2 in appliances) and 4 in the garage. That's 3 incandescents, 2 linear fluorescents, and 10 CFLs, for roughly $25 in lighting. It's all staying here when I move out.

You didn't save the old incandescents so you can switch them back?