EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Double hung exterior doors in same RO ?? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3768)

Drake 07-06-14 06:59 PM

Double hung exterior doors in same RO ??

Anyone seen or heard of an in-swing and out-swing exterior door hung in the same rough opening for increased insulation. I have 9" thick wall depth to work with. Energy efficient(HI-R) doors are hard to find and extremely costly for the ones I have found. Only problem I can foresee is possible frosting between doors if in door seal leaks, or thru lock sets.

lt190b 07-06-14 07:12 PM

Drake. What do you have in the door opening now?

Drake 07-06-14 07:23 PM

New wall opening in new addition between garage and new living space so I'm thinking two foam filled plain service doors. Fiberglass if possible as they would handle some frost if it occurs better than wood or steel.

lt190b 07-06-14 07:38 PM

Drake, you could take a RH and LH exterior door unit, remove brick mould, fasten units together and hang in the opening. The thresholds would need to be cut back flush with the jamb where the units are joined. Trim might be a test of our skills, I think we can figure it out? lt190b

NeilBlanchard 07-06-14 08:18 PM

I don't know about exterior door frames, but I know that arrangement is used in hotels as the connector door between rooms.

Piwoslaw 07-08-14 01:35 AM

My grandma's house has 2 wooden doors on one doorframe. I once checked the surface temperatures during very cold weather to see how they insulate, but I can't find the data now. I do know that on summer mornings when the (east-facing) door is in full sunlight, the inside surface of the exterior door gets quite warm, but the interior door is still at room temperature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 39002)
I don't know about exterior door frames, but I know that arrangement is used in hotels as the connector door between rooms.

That may be acoustic insulation. Also,each door would have its own lock and passage would be possible if both doors are unlocked.

Drake 07-08-14 09:31 AM

Yes, a RH/LH combo would work fine(and would eliminate the extra cost of an out-swing door, which is really just modified for outside exposure(which I won't have being between attached garage and living space)). Trim work and any modifying won't be a problem. Definitely want to use two foam cored doors though.

Daox 07-08-14 09:57 AM

I distinctly remember someone posting some info on 'super insulated doors'. However, I can't seem to find that info now...

It might be buried in the passive house thread.

lt190b 07-08-14 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 39031)
Yes, a RH/LH combo would work fine(and would eliminate the extra cost of an out-swing door, which is really just modified for outside exposure(which I won't have being between attached garage and living space)). Trim work and any modifying won't be a problem. Definitely want to use two foam cored doors though.

Drake,you may need a fire rated door unit for the garage side.

Drake 07-08-14 07:21 PM

I only have State elec codes required where I am building but for safety it may not be a bad thing to do anyway. Will look into what doors would be rated.