EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Efficient (cheap) way of adding humidity? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)

RobbMeeX 01-29-14 10:26 PM

Efficient (cheap) way of adding humidity?

So, my humidity is too low (26%). Any tips for upping it? I've been trying to dry clothes in the air, spray a water bottle on any fabric I can that can wick it, hold the shower water till it cools, keep pasta water for the steam, and that's just tonite.
Any thoughts on the subject?

AC_Hacker 01-30-14 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbMeeX (Post 35289)
So, my humidity is too low (26%). Any tips for upping it? I've been trying to dry clothes in the air, spray a water bottle on any fabric I can that can wick it, hold the shower water till it cools, keep pasta water for the steam, and that's just tonite.
Any thoughts on the subject?

One of our posters came up with the concept that low humidity is caused by a furnace that runs too much which in turn will dry the air excessively.

The furnace runs too much because the house is leaking heat badly.

So the fix is to your low humidity is to reduce the heat leaks. In other words, stop all sources of air infiltration, and insulate, insulate, insulate.

-AC

stevehull 01-30-14 08:19 AM

Rob,

A low indoor winter humidity is a symptom of excess air infiltration. Outside air, at 32 F has a certain amount of moisture, but this humidity decreases rapidly as the air temp is increased.

Great time to do a FLIR or other IR test by turning on all house exhaust fans.

Just read AC's comment - we agree.

Steve

randen 01-30-14 09:33 AM

Robbmeex

A few years ago I had a fountain for my garden. I couldn't leave it outside for the winter. I got the idea it would look nice beside my indoor plants during the winter months. I would fill it with distilled water about every week while it was making a fashion statement in my living room. The distilled water was nessisary as a little splashing was occurring while it ran and tap (well water) would leave marks on the tile floor. I was so surprised to go through 5 gals. a week. I didn't keep a note on what the humidity values where but I'm sure it offered a fair output.

Randen

jeff5may 01-30-14 09:36 AM

Assuming this is for a short term need, due to the unusually cold, dry weather this year, a couple of solutions come to mind.

For a small, store-bought unit, look for a cool mist, spinning disk impeller unit. These units put out lots of mist for their size, have no parts to replace, and are very energy efficient. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-645-80...095319&sr=1-17

For a homebrew unit, an old aquarium or five gallon bucket with an oversized air pump and air stones in it will do basically the same thing. Adding an aquarium heater sized to the vessel will increase output at the cost of overall efficiency.

mrd 01-30-14 10:16 AM

Cheap solution: If you find a spot where you get alot of air infiltration, throw a damp towel over it. Might help humidify the air as it leaks in :)

doug30293 01-30-14 12:54 PM

Rob;

I'm an hour south of you and having the same problem. A stock pot boiling on the stove will provide the humidity and the energy will heat the house. The only waste will be what leaks through the cracks. With or without the stock pot you will have to deal with the leaks separately.

You have to provide the enthalpy of vaporization for the water. If you simply evaporate it you will have to add heat to maintain temperature. Considering the outdoor temperature, unless you have a high seer heat pump you won't be much worse off by running the stove.

We generally boil water about five days a year. We run the dehumidifier about 20 days a year. This year is unusually dry - and cold.

RobbMeeX 01-30-14 02:28 PM

Went a bought a $15 unit. You guys are too right about the air infiltration though. Aahh, I hate to admit it, this thing LEAKS!

stevehull 01-30-14 05:27 PM

Robb,

What did you buy for $15? Handheld IR meter?

Steve

RobbMeeX 01-30-14 08:25 PM

A humidifier.