EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lawn and Garden (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Composting! (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87)

Daox 10-02-08 06:14 AM

Composting!

Share with us your composting setups and any tips or tricks you have!

I'll be putting mine together next year I think in spring and ideas are welcome. I was thinking a hot composter probably in a barrel style would be better to get usable compost faster.

truckncycle 10-02-08 02:40 PM

I have a plastic compost bin that I bought. It's full but not doing much. I almost never turn it and I need to add moisture too it. I looked into a compost tumbler but they were too expensive. Our city now gives away compost bins for free. They take old plastic garbage cans cut off the bottoms and add holes.

TimJFowler 12-04-08 05:33 PM

My set-up is a 4-pallet bin with a hinged mesh top. The front slides out and then I fork out the compost to turn it or use it. I would go with something cheap, simple and at least 1 cubic yard of volume. Here is my setup - Composting in the High Desert | EcoDaddyo.com.

The secret to fast composting is to turn it often and keep a good balance of greens and browns (nitrogen and carbon-heavy stuff). There's not much to it than that unless you're a microbiologist or greatly interested in soil critters.

Tim

Daox 12-04-08 07:41 PM

That looks like a nice setup Tim. How long does it take to churn out good compost?

TimJFowler 12-05-08 11:01 AM

I pull out 2-3 wheelbarrow loads of compost about twice a year. I'm pretty lazy about turning my compost and that usually happens about 4 times a year. So, I could have more compost if I put a little more effort into it.

Unfortunately, we had wasps build a nest in the compost this summer and I haven't turned it in a while! I'm waiting for the wasps to go dormant this winter and then I will forcibly evict them. After I get rid of the wasps I'll have to write up the whole saga.

Tim

Higgy 12-05-08 11:38 AM

Nice! I like it.

SVOboy 12-05-08 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJFowler (Post 1403)
I pull out 2-3 wheelbarrow loads of compost about twice a year. I'm pretty lazy about turning my compost and that usually happens about 4 times a year. So, I could have more compost if I put a little more effort into it.

Unfortunately, we had wasps build a nest in the compost this summer and I haven't turned it in a while! I'm waiting for the wasps to go dormant this winter and then I will forcibly evict them. After I get rid of the wasps I'll have to write up the whole saga.

Tim

Can't trust those wasps!

TimJFowler 03-13-09 03:19 PM

We have foreclosed on the wasps (insects, not white anglo-saxon protestants)! It was a pain in the rear for months, but the wasp nest is gone.

Here's the saga - Foreclosing on the Wasps | EcoDaddyo.com

"Social" insects? My @$$!

Tim

Ryland 03-15-09 09:43 AM

I would like to do a 4 pallet system as well, our current pile is a piece of wire fence made in to a ring to keep the pile more pile like and it's over flowing already after only 5 months, I would like something that will keep it hotter and be easier to work with but a cube, or maybe even two cubes seem like a good plan for now.

Sandcruiser 05-04-09 10:27 AM

I made a bin using two walls of cinder blocks (scavenged from a junk pile), one sheet of corrugated steel (leftover) and a pallet in the middle as a divider. I haven't put a front on it yet. Size is about 3ft tall by about 5 feet wide by whatever a pallet is deep (about 3 feet?). I stacked the cinder block so that they are staggered, which allows some air to get in. I should perforate the steel, but haven't yet.
As it gets full I'll find a solution for the front, but so far it isn't giving me much trouble and allows me to turn the pile more easily. I just leave a fork out there and when I add kitchen scraps every day or two, I turn the pile a little bit. It breaks things down FAST...