EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Electric Vehicle (Nissan Leaf experience/impressions) (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4854)

WyrTwister 07-11-16 10:20 AM

Electric Vehicle (Nissan Leaf experience/impressions)

Do not know if this is the correct sub-forum to post this , or not ? Moderators , feel free to move it to a more correct sub-forum .

We bought a used 2012 Nissan Leaf SV . This weekend we finished installing a 240 VAC EVSE - power station .

Wifey is still trying to figure out out . It has a lot of safety features that you have to satisfy before the Leaf will " work " .

Apparently the doors have to be shut and the seat belts buckled . Car unplugged . Foot on the brake & do not know for sure , what else .

This is a strictly in town only car .

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 07-11-16 10:42 AM

Congrats! Post a picture. How many miles on it?

WyrTwister 07-11-16 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photos

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...152605_027-jpg

Taken last week with the Level 1 EVSE

God bless
Wyr

oil pan 4 07-11-16 01:42 PM

Sub compact car resale values are taking a dump.
If they fall any lower I might get one.
When some one figures out a way to charge with a generator while driving I would seriously consider one.

pinballlooking 07-11-16 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 50919)
Sub compact car resale values are taking a dump.
If they fall any lower I might get one.
When some one figures out a way to charge with a generator while driving I would seriously consider one.

They have it is called a Chevy Volt.
When you run out of EV miles the generator kicks in and gets you home or across country.

WyrTwister 07-11-16 05:52 PM

I refer to a Volt as a Plug-in hybrid . There are a few other brands , also .

The used Volts I saw on line were too pricey . The other brands pretty much non-existent in my neck of the woods .

Chevy sells the Spark EV as a compliance vehicle in California and 2 - 3 other states . None of them , used , were closer than 800 - 1200 miles away & you would have to tow it home or ship it . :-(

I do not think our little 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic has the beans to tow a Spark EV home .

Had my Wifey plug the Level 2 EVSE in & start charging it . This last weekend I crawled through our dusty , dirty attic ( with rock wool insulation ) to run # 8 / 2 W/G Romex for a 40 amp 240 VAC circuit to the EVSE .

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 07-11-16 06:06 PM

The Volt uses 100% battery power at all speeds until it runs out of battery power (exactly like a full EV). Then the generator kicks in and it can run more like a Plug-in hybrid.

At this point the only other car that acts like the Volt is the BMW I3 EV that has the REX 2 cylinder range extender motor. But it cost twice as much.
Both of these cars do exactly what oildpan4 wants.

I think it is great there are good deals out there on any EV’s.
Very cool to have another Leaf owner on the forum

WyrTwister 07-11-16 08:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Buying the Leaf , I went into it fully knowing it would be an in town only car .

For out of town , we have the Chevy Sonic ICE car . Recently went to visit family , 400 miles , going , 400 miles returning + about 200 miles while we were there . It gets 34 - 36 on the highway with A/C running . With $ 2.00 gas , not too expensive .

I am curious to see what happens to our electric bill . Charging the Leaf . No solar or wind energy . 100% on the grid . Last month we paid $ 97.09 for 900 kw . And of course we are running A/C . We have been having some temps at 100 or above . So the bill would be increasing , any way , w/o the Leaf .

Photo is with the Leaf charging Level 1 120 VAC .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister 07-11-16 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 50914)
Congrats! Post a picture. How many miles on it?

31,000 - 32,000 Miles .

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 07-11-16 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyrTwister (Post 50927)
31,000 - 32,000 Miles .

God bless
Wyr

Nice lots of miles ahead of you.