EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lawn and Garden (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Better tomatoes via a fertilizer of human urine (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=652)

greif 04-30-14 06:19 PM

All this talk of pee..... makes me have to pee :)

stevehull 04-30-14 07:29 PM

ahhhhhhhhhh

Steve

AC_Hacker 05-01-14 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgeo (Post 33518)
...They would go to the side of the house and pee, the side of the house where they had cucumbers growing... When I would see them picking the cucumbers it made my stomach turn.

If that made your stomach turn, it's probably best that you do not inquire into how your food is actually grown, harvested and handled... and especially where your meat comes from. Or inquire into the laws that limit how much animal feces IS ALLOWED in the meat you eat, and how poorly enforced even those sloppy standards are.

If you allowed yourself to become aware of these things, you might become something I'm sure you do not want to become... an activist.

-AC

P.S.: Then there's THIS.

jeff5may 05-01-14 05:06 PM

The big ag companies will just start pumping out septic systems to get their raw materials. Then there will be millions of tons of "organic" fertilizer used daily to grow soybeans, corn, and wheat. If that doesn't work, they can always use soylent green to feed us. EEK!

NeilTheCop 05-19-14 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff5may (Post 38082)
The big ag companies will just start pumping out septic systems to get their raw materials. Then there will be millions of tons of "organic" fertilizer used daily to grow soybeans, corn, and wheat.

Nothing new there;)
https://suite.io/vic-sanborn/3des2zr

basjoos 06-03-14 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff5may (Post 38082)
The big ag companies will just start pumping out septic systems to get their raw materials. Then there will be millions of tons of "organic" fertilizer used daily to grow soybeans, corn, and wheat. If that doesn't work, they can always use soylent green to feed us. EEK!

In regions with a lot of chicken CAFO's they feed the chicken manure/litter/sweepings from the chicken houses to cattle in nearby feedlots. From what I've heard, when they process these cattle in the slaughter houses there is a strong odor of chicken manure present. If any of this makes your stomach turn, then raise your own food. At least that way, you know exactly and can control what goes into your food.

Besides the unsavory feed inputs, the high amounts of antibiotic use in CAFO's has generated numerous strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria which can get on and in you when you handle the raw meat and then can cause problems the next time you have to take antibiotics for an infection or surgery.

iamgeo 08-04-14 10:18 PM

Should We Return The Nutrients In Our Pee Back To The Farm? : The Salt : NPR
The average human generates 8 pounds of nitrogen and almost 1 pound of phosphorous in a year's worth of urine. And those nutrients come in a form that plants can use.

stevehull 10-02-14 02:39 PM

But - and there is always a but . . . .

Both bioavailable nitrogen and phosphorus, but WAY lots of salt (NaCL). After a while the salt builds up and there goes the plant. Just ask anyone who has a dog. Those dead yellow spots in the lawn are the result of too much salt all in one place.

Sadly, an urban myth (peeing on veggies). Now, if you want to discuss "night soil" on veggies, then that is a different discussion altogether. But that one is something that very few of us would consider.

Steve

doug30293 10-06-14 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehull (Post 40870)
Both bioavailable nitrogen and phosphorus, but WAY lots of salt (NaCL). After a while the salt builds up and there goes the plant. Just ask anyone who has a dog. Those dead yellow spots in the lawn are the result of too much salt all in one place.

Too much nitrogen does the same thing, and I think it's the nitrogen that makes the yellow spots. My grandfather killed dandelions in the lawn by putting a teaspoon of ammonium nitrate on them. It killed the dandelion and a three inch spot of grass. Two weeks later the grass closed in and the dandelion never returned.

Granny was pissed because the old fart eliminated her source of dandelion greens.