EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Do you use rechargable batteries? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=199)

Daox 11-13-08 09:08 AM

Do you use rechargable batteries?

I'll admit right of, I do not. Most my battery needs are met with donations from my mother. She literally brings me a freezer bag full of AA batteries that are mildly used when I need some. I think she gets them from the hospital where she works. They work great in the few things I use batteries in which amount to game controllers, remotes, and my toothbrush. For other sources of batteries I usually just buy disposable alkaline ones. For instance, last night I needed to replace the 9v battery on my IR thermometer.

Anyway, I ask this because I've been thinking of at least replacing the non AA batteries I use with NiMH batteries. I just found out that Harbor Freight carries these things now, and of course, being from there, they aren't incredibly expensive either IMO.

So, what do you guys do?

Tony Raine 11-13-08 10:02 AM

i use Kodak rechargeable AA in my canon digital camera (used to own a kodak, but it got stolen. 2 batteries were with the camera, i still have 2 left.)

my solar outdoor lights have 'em, does that count?

but i'm guilty of using regular batteries in everything else, which is pretty much just remotes and clocks.

the HF stuff looks good. i wonder if i could charge their AA's in my kodak charger?

SVOboy 11-13-08 11:58 AM

The only rechargeables I have a purpose specific for electronics like camers and phones and junk. I really should get some batteries for the normal stuff, but I don't think I really use batteries much...

cmittle 11-13-08 12:37 PM

I have non-rechargeables in things like my alarm clock, but in most other things like cameras and Wii remotes, I use the rechargeable AA's that I got at Wal-Mart. IIRC they weren't any more expensive than the HF ones you posted. I just looked at their website and they show some lithium AA's too. From what I know about lithium's they are a little more sensative and would require a better charger, maybe I will have to migrate to them.

Doofus McFancypants 11-13-08 01:29 PM

Yes,

we have a set of AA rechareageables - use for the Camera - and some of the kids toys.
we have rechargable bats in the WII remotes as well.

I would like to get AAA rechargables as well - and ( in my dream world) i would set up a Solar charger for them...

Steve

GenKreton 11-13-08 07:00 PM

I've thought about getting rechargeable triple A's since I use about 8 a year but I never stumble on a good deal that includes the charger...

Higgy 11-13-08 08:31 PM

We use rechargeable AA and AAA Sanyo's in most of our stuff...from remotes to electronic toys for the kids. I think we use some regular AA's in certain things, but not many.

MetroMPG 11-13-08 09:09 PM

Rechargeables in my crappy old digital camera - about the only thing I have that uses them. I have 2 sets, so I always have a charged set waiting, which is really great.

Ironically, the other place I use batteries most (and they're not rechargeable) is in my digital multimeters... mostly used for checking batteries.

Blister 11-14-08 09:57 AM

We use them in everything. The flashlights, the digital thermostat, remotes...etc...

We have some that are 3 and 4 years old and we paid $40 about three years ago for the charger. They're all still kicking. We have definitely got our money's worth.

NiHaoMike 11-14-08 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmittle (Post 1128)
I have non-rechargeables in things like my alarm clock, but in most other things like cameras and Wii remotes, I use the rechargeable AA's that I got at Wal-Mart. IIRC they weren't any more expensive than the HF ones you posted. I just looked at their website and they show some lithium AA's too. From what I know about lithium's they are a little more sensative and would require a better charger, maybe I will have to migrate to them.

Lithium batteries are actually easier to charge than nickel-based batteries. All that is needed is to charge at constant current and stop when the voltage reaches 4.2v per cell. Lithium is a very flammable metal, however, so lithium batteries have internal overcharge and short circuit protection. They keep their charge for a very long time, but newer nickel batteries are also good in that respect.
What I don't like about lithium batteries is the lack of standards.

There are no lithium batteries in AA size (at least not 1.5v) because the voltage of a lithium battery is more than twice that of a regular battery. However, there is a special size of lithium battery that is the size of two AAs side by side. It is intended for digital cameras and actually works quite well.

cmittle 11-14-08 02:40 PM

It looks like these are individual. Of course I haven't held them in my hand so I can't be 100% sure of that.

NiHaoMike 11-14-08 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmittle (Post 1148)
It looks like these are individual. Of course I haven't held them in my hand so I can't be 100% sure of that.

Those are intended for standby and low use applications such as emergency flashlights, power backup for thermostats, clocks, etc. They are not rechargeable but do indeed last a very long time in the right application.

PaleMelanesian 11-17-08 02:06 PM

Just using a few. Sanyo eneloop "hybrid" nimh in AA format, for the camera. Loving them. They hold their charge in storage, and have high capacity in use, as well. Based on the performance of these, I'm looking at buying more AA and some AAA as well.

(bought from amazon)

Daox 11-17-08 02:53 PM

Where did you purchase yours PaleMelanseian?

groar 11-17-08 04:15 PM

I use rechargeable batteries where the consumption will empty it in less than a week.

Where the consumption empties the batteries in more than 6 months I use only regular batteries.

Strange, I can't find in my memory any object that empties his batteries in more than a week and less than 6 months.

I have to confess than I never thought about that more than that. I metered the consumption to recharge the rechargeable batteries and it was less than 0.01€, ie less than 0.1kWh for 4xAA 2700mAh.

Denis.

PaleMelanesian 11-18-08 01:25 PM

Amazon.com. They sell everything.

I did the calculations, comparing purchase price, energy density, and power to recharge. After 10-15 uses, rechargables come out ahead.

truckncycle 11-18-08 02:15 PM

I use rechargeable batteries in our outdoor thermometer and indoor receiving station. They go through batteries monthly otherwise. I bought a 15 minute charger which makes it much less of a hassle. I also occasionally use them in my camera.

larryrose11 12-03-08 07:24 PM

We use them just about everywhere except 9V, which are in the smoke detectors, and the multi-meter. I recycle them out of the smoke detectors and into the multi-meters (2 of them).

I have had verry good luck with the energizer AA (2450 mAh) and AAA (800 mAh)
a good charger makes a big differeng in battery life. I use a LaCross BC900. The refresh part is cool. It will discharge a cell to .95V, and carge it back up, keeping track of the energy in, and then repeats untill the energy in is within 5% of the last time. I have had it bring back old cells.
LA CROSSE BC-900 Battery Charger w/ LCD DisplayDeluxe Travel..

groar 12-04-08 03:55 AM

Thanks for the tip larryrose11, and welcome on-board.

Do you think that the rechargeable batteries will have more cycles thanks to such a charger ?

Denis.

bbjsw10 12-04-08 11:15 PM

Everything in my home has rechargable's. I broke down at tax return time last year and bought about $250 worth of them. I have an 7 yr. old son and all toys take batteries anymore. All-battery.com is a good place to get them.

groar 12-05-08 01:46 AM

Welcome on-board bbjsw10 :) and thanks for the link.

Have fun,

Denis.

PaleMelanesian 01-02-09 11:01 AM

I just received my order from all-battery. Thanks for that tip. I got 24 AA and 12 AAA, and some AA-to-C and AA-to-D adapters. It all cost $50 shipped. That should be enough to cover most/all of my household needs.

The AA's are $1.24 - $1.30 each, depending on volume. Cheaper than just about anywhere else, including Harbor Freight mentioned earlier.

Doofus McFancypants 06-09-09 02:00 PM

Do the AA-to-C adapters really work?

In the end all you would have to do is recharge the Batteries more as there is less power in the AA than C.

On a SIDE NOTE - could I use a C battery in an application that needed "AA"?
I have some partially used C batts from one of Girls Toys. wanted to "Suck it dry" in the MP3 Player... Are there risks with connecting a C into a AA ( or even a AAA) device?

steve

Daox 06-09-09 06:36 PM

No risks. The C just has more capacity. The voltage is the same so you're safe.

Ryland 06-10-09 02:30 PM

I use disposable batteries in my LED flashlights because they tend to last two or more years in there, compared to rechargeable batteries that have a faster self discharge rate then that so I buy a box of 12 D cells at a time having that box last 3-4 years, I do the same with the "AA" batteries for my bike light, again a box of 16 batteries last 3-4 years, multi meter battery is a 9V that tends to last 5 years, cordless drill is Lithium rechargeable, electric bicycle is Lithium as well, electric car is lead acid deep cycle, forklift at work is lead acid deep cycle, lap top is Lithium, same with cell phone.

I have a box of NiCad rechargeable batteries that I no longer use because of their self discharge being almost as fast as disposable batteries going dead with use in my LED lights.

SunScape 06-10-09 08:34 PM

I have never been happy with one single item I have ever purchaced from RadioShak. My chargers are dead sortly after I get them. Maybe its the batterioes or both. I'm looking into the solar charger. Can work for cellphones too- I think.

roflwaffle 06-12-09 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 3259)
I use disposable batteries in my LED flashlights because they tend to last two or more years in there, compared to rechargeable batteries that have a faster self discharge rate then that so I buy a box of 12 D cells at a time having that box last 3-4 years, I do the same with the "AA" batteries for my bike light, again a box of 16 batteries last 3-4 years, multi meter battery is a 9V that tends to last 5 years, cordless drill is Lithium rechargeable, electric bicycle is Lithium as well, electric car is lead acid deep cycle, forklift at work is lead acid deep cycle, lap top is Lithium, same with cell phone.

You should check out the new low discharge AA NiMH batteries if ya wanna get rid of the disposables permanently. Supposed to be at ~75% after a year and somewhere around 50% after three years, although at $1-3/battery they are certainly pricey.

NiHaoMike 07-10-09 03:24 PM

Walmart has a 4 pack of LiFePO4 AA batteries for $10. (They're Westinghouse 400mAh, 3.2v.) Since they're 3.2v, they're only usable in devices that take two or more batteries. (Make jumpers out of scrap metal or copper tubing.) They should work excellent for remote controls and similar stuff.

I'm actually going to get an adapter that converts two of those AAs into a 9v for my multimeter. (The DSP in that meter eats batteries almost as fast as Jean Ma eats potato chips... Those Lithiums should give me twice the runtime of a 9v, plus there's much less charge loss when not in use. And two of those AAs are cheaper than a NiMH 9v.)

larryrose11 07-19-09 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 1382)

Do you think that the rechargeable batteries will have more cycles thanks to such a charger ?

in a perfiec world, they will have less, because all batterys have a current throughput life, and in that way, it decreases their life. practally, if a NiMH battery hasnt been cycled in a while, it does exhibit some memory effect, but it is quickly erased by cycling, so it extends their practical life before you recycle them.