EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Renovations & New Construction (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   buying an 1983 fix it up house (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2977)

Weather Spotter 04-15-13 04:36 PM

buying an 1983 fix it up house

Time to start a new thread...

I am buying a signal owner 1953, 950 SF single story hip roof house as soon as the paperwork gets done (several weeks).

Issues with the home:
A. 7 of 11 windows are original signal pane. the other 4 are 5-15 yr old vinyl
B. ceiling only has R19 fiberglass batts :(
C. two year old 80% NG Forced air furnace.
D. Need to get a new washer/ dryer.- should I go gas or electric?
E. Craw space with marginal room to get into.
F. Leaky roof around non flashed chimney (high on the fix it list)
G. old electrical wires but new outlets (non grounded) and new service.
H. Lack of lighting in home- I was thinking of using the attic space to put in Can lights (short ceilings), I was thinking about going with LED's. Any ideas on good ones?
I. Block walls with limited insulation on the outside under aluminum siding.
J. Lack of roof venting

Some things I want to fix or upgrade before moving in. Electric, lighting, paint. Things I might have cash for right away: Windows (need good ideas for windows), insulation for attic, new floors.

What are your ideas for cheep (but paying for the right way) of fixing some of these issues?

Weather Spotter 04-15-13 04:37 PM

other ideas pending cost and payback:
solar water heater?
Solar heat?

others?

MN Renovator 04-15-13 05:40 PM

I would personally fix A and B, especially B instead of replacing C. Insulation and air sealing will take your money much farther than replacing the furnace for 10% more efficiency.

Weather Spotter 04-15-13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Renovator (Post 29471)
I would personally fix A and B, especially B instead of replacing C. Insulation and air sealing will take your money much farther than replacing the furnace for 10% more efficiency.

true. I was more mentioning it then planning on changing it. I may at some point want to add AC or an outdoor wood burner. but I agree that fixing the losses first is best.

TimJFowler 04-17-13 02:56 PM

Please post some pictures and a floor plan and we'll get busy spending your money and giving you work to do.

;)

Congrats on the new (to you) house!

Tim

Weather Spotter 04-17-13 02:57 PM

I can get some pics and a sketch of the floor plan up shortly, I have not closed so my access is limited.

S-F 04-18-13 09:48 AM

I say first fix the roof. The air seal and insulate. I personally would pull the fiberglass and just fill the place with cellulose.

Weather Spotter 04-18-13 05:44 PM

any good education on cellulose insulation? and how thick I would want to put it?

Weather Spotter 04-18-13 06:12 PM

here are some pics:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...ics/file-3.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...cs/file-32.jpg

JRMichler 04-18-13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 29468)
Issues with the home:
A. 7 of 11 windows are original signal pane. the other 4 are 5-15 yr old vinyl
B. ceiling only has R19 fiberglass batts :(
C. two year old 80% NG Forced air furnace.
D. Need to get a new washer/ dryer.- should I go gas or electric?
E. Craw space with marginal room to get into.
F. Leaky roof around non flashed chimney (high on the fix it list)
G. old electrical wires but new outlets (non grounded) and new service.
H. Lack of lighting in home- I was thinking of using the attic space to put in Can lights (short ceilings), I was thinking about going with LED's. Any ideas on good ones?
I. Block walls with limited insulation on the outside under aluminum siding.
J. Lack of roof venting

My suggestions:
1) Make the roof leakproof. Do this first.
2) New grounded wiring. Try to eliminate as much attic wire as possible. One switched light in each room high on the wall above the switch. Use floor lamps for additional lighting. Or do as I did and put track lighting in the kitchen and living room (with CFL bulbs).
3) Pull up attic batts, air seal every crack and hole you can find. Put batts back, then blow in another two feet of insulation on top. I would not trust even an insulation rated can light under that much insulation. If the ceiling is properly air sealed, you should not need roof ventilation. Look up in the attic immediately after a big cold spell. If no visible frost, you should be good. Don't forget to insulate and air seal the attic access hatch.
4) Washer and dryer. The spin speed of the washer controls the moisture content of the clothes, so put some money into a good washer. It's far cheaper to spin water out than to dry it out.
5) If you dig around the outside of the house and put 2 inches of foam insulation against the crawlspace walls, your crawlspace and floor will be warmer.
6) Then, someday, rip off the siding, add 4 inches of foam and modern energy efficient windows in one big expensive project. Until then, put 3M window film on the single pane windows.
7) For crawl space work, look for a small skinny high school kid who wants to make a few bucks.