EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Peakster's House Efficiency (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=499)

Peakster 03-18-20 12:16 AM

February 2020 housing costs:

Natural Gas - $135.94 (423.582 m3)
Electricity - $142.48 (683 kWh)
Water - $192.83 (34,219 litres)

Other expenses:

Cell Phone - $84.53
Wifi - 61.00
Monthly Cleaning Service - $125.00 (top floor only)
Insurance - $114.21
Water Heater Rental - $9.71
Property Tax - $380.99
Mortgage P+I - $696.98

Total February '20 Housing Costs: $1,943.67

Rent collection from 5 housemates: $3,401.00

Month Profit: $1,457.33

Another month at full capacity & decent profit.

At the time of this writing, COVID-19 is a major concern globally. In the event that Canada enacts the Emergencies Act, I will put my household rent payment requirements on hold until further notice.

With my particular financial situation, I have enough monetary reserves to last approximately 10 months with zero rental income.

NiHaoMike 03-19-20 08:08 AM

It would probably be a good idea to suspend the cleaning service for now? It seems like another possible entry for COVID-19, especially if the housemates are working from home.

Peakster 03-22-20 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiHaoMike (Post 62249)
It would probably be a good idea to suspend the cleaning service for now? It seems like another possible entry for COVID-19, especially if the housemates are working from home.

To be honest, the likelihood of myself or one of the other 5 housemates already carrying the virus is probably pretty high since apparently the virus can linger in the air for hours. I'm doing my best to socially distance myself, but not all housemates are taking it seriously.

The one good thing about the cleaning staff is that their rule from day 1 is to have the entire house vacate when they clean (they don't have insurance coverage if someone gets hurt).

Peakster 04-18-20 08:02 AM

March 2020 housing costs:

Natural Gas - $123.36 (372.32 m3)
Electricity - $174.31 (870 kWh)
Water - $196.36 (35,883 litres)

Other expenses:

Cell Phone - $84.53
Wifi - 61.00
Monthly Cleaning Service - $125.00 (top floor only)
Insurance - $114.21
Water Heater Rental - $9.71
Property Tax - $380.99
Mortgage P+I - $696.98

Total March '20 Housing Costs: $1,966.45

Rent collection from 3-ish housemates (still 5 living here): $2,673.00

Month Profit: $706.55

Still full capacity. As of March 26, 2020, the province of Saskatchewan is no longer accepting applications for evictions due to missed or late rent (essentially making rent payments optional - until further notice from the province). 3 of the 5 housemates are still voluntarily paying rent though so far.

2 of them are working in make shift offices in the formal living room & formal dining room. 1 is a student where their dad sent cheques though the end of May, and the remaining 2 are out of work.

Daox 04-18-20 10:59 AM

Nice to hear you're in good shape during all this!

Peakster 04-19-20 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 62381)
Nice to hear you're in good shape during all this!

Thanks. We'll see how the future pans out. We are definitely living in unprecedented times... updates to follow!

Wanna Beco 04-28-20 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 62246)
With my particular financial situation, I have enough monetary reserves to last approximately 10 months with zero rental income.

If you cut out cable and wifi etc. could you last longer? If someone stops paying I would definitely limit there access to TP and wifi?!?!

Peakster 05-16-20 01:18 AM

April 2020 housing costs:

Natural Gas - $112.81 (310.267 m3)
Electricity - $180.09 (904 kWh)
Water - $198.24 (37,079 litres)

Other expenses:

Cell Phone - $84.53
Wifi - 61.00
Monthly Cleaning Service - $125.00 (top floor only)
Insurance - $118.12 (went up a bit)
Water Heater Rental - $9.71
Property Tax - $380.99
Mortgage P+I - $691.76 (went down a bit due to lower interest rate)
Eviction Application - $50.00

Total April '20 Housing Costs: $2,012.25

Rent collection from 3 housemates (still 5 living here): $1,923.00

Month Deficit: -89.25

And... things are taking a nose-dive! 3 out of 5 housemates are still paying rent, However, 1 of the 2 that isn't is being a real problem in the household. Not paying rent is one thing, but they've become disruptive to myself & others living here (verbally & physically aggressive behaviour, damaging the place in fits of rage, etc.).

Long story short, police were called 3 times in a month & I'm now undergoing the eviction process. It's going to be a tough one because of the pandemic, yet the Office of Residential Tenancies in Saskatchewan is still having hearings for "health & safety" reasons. For just a $50 application fee, it's worth trying at this point!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanna Beco (Post 62406)
If you cut out cable and wifi etc. could you last longer? If someone stops paying I would definitely limit there access to TP and wifi?!?!

We don't have cable, but we do have wifi. The wifi is 2 of my housemates' lifeblood though as they work from home. It's definitely not optional for them.

Wanna Beco 05-16-20 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 62525)

And... things are taking a nose-dive! 3 out of 5 housemates are still paying rent, However, 1 of the 2 that isn't is being a real problem in the household. Not paying rent is one thing, but they've become disruptive to myself & others living here (verbally & physically aggressive behaviour, damaging the place in fits of rage, etc.).

Long story short, police were called 3 times in a month & I'm now undergoing the eviction process. It's going to be a tough one because of the pandemic, yet the Office of Residential Tenancies in Saskatchewan is still having hearings for "health & safety" reasons. For just a $50 application fee, it's worth trying at this point!.

Okay, Don't rent "Pacific Heights"
Document everything. Take pics. Get witnesses. Have indoor wyze cams. document, document, and the double document.

If Judge Judy has taught us anything, if it isn't written down, it doesn't exist.
Be safe.

Peakster 06-18-20 01:31 PM

May 2020 housing costs:

Natural Gas - $69.58 (156.482 m3)
Electricity - $132.43 (624 kWh)
Water - $238.33 (45,807 litres - new record I think!)

Other expenses:

Cell Phone - $84.53
Wifi - 61.00
Monthly Cleaning Service - $125.00 (top floor only)
Insurance - $118.12
Water Heater Rental - $9.71
Property Tax - $380.99 (going up next month)
Mortgage P+I - $691.76

Total May '20 Housing Costs: $1,911.45

Rent collection from 4 housemates (including 1 that paid their arrears): $3,373.00

Month Profit: 1,461.55

Long story short... the eviction was granted: https://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skort/d...skort1030.html
Still at 80% capacity & housemates are now back to paying rent on time. I won't be getting the vacant room filled until the province allows normal evictions again. The risk of someone moving in & refusing to pay rent without ramification is too risky.

Also did a new video about the house expenses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgpVtNDmUEo


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger