EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Appliances & Gadgets (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Computers and Smartphones (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3989)

swamisalami 11-07-14 11:12 PM

Computers and Smartphones

Hey guys,
I've recently had a great deal of success with my desktop computer's settings and my smartphone. As far as the computer goes, anytime I step away from it, i'll simply turn off the monitor with the push of a button. Secondly, I changed my desktop background and color scheme to black. There are even settings in which one can make the internet browser's background black! (if anyone has any tips on how to make a browser black with white text, please let me know. I'm unable to use the black browser setting, because of my poor eyesight). This is something I hadn't thought of until recently. Third, I hooked it up to a surge protector that I can turn off when not in use. I've come a long way from leaving my computer on sleep mode instead of turning it completely off!

Finally, I made similar changes to my smartphone. I also recently learned that turning one's phone off at night and keeping it plugged in is very good for both the battery life and electric consumption. I've also started pushing the sleep button as soon as I'm done with it instead of waiting for the screen to go black on its own. I usually don't have to charge my phone at odd times anymore. Also, when I plug it in at night I usually have around 25-30% battery life left.

I'll have to wait until I get back to Alaska to use my kill-a-watt to really expand upon my savings in these particular ways, but I have no doubt these methods are advantageous.

ecomodded 11-08-14 09:47 AM

Windows has a High contrast setting that works well when using a laptop outside or in the car. But it is designed for people with vision impairment.

Using the high contrast setting should give a black browser page if I remember correctly..

Are you using the high contrast setting ? if not look under accessibility in the control panel , I think there is also a place to turn the feature on and off on the bottom of the log on screen , in windows.

ecomodded 11-08-14 09:51 AM

Also in firefox

Go to tools , Content , click on Colors which is next to default font's and set the background color to Black and Text to white.

ecomodded 11-08-14 09:58 AM

I use 22 as my font size for easy reading at 8 to 10 ft. on my main lcd TV

NiHaoMike 11-08-14 10:59 AM

The black background myth is busted on LCDs. You'll do better with black text on white background and the backlight turned way down.

On OLED, there is a big savings from a black background.

Leafgreen 04-16-15 02:52 PM

Really quick and dirty way: Simply hit CTRL-A in the browser window. This will highlight the text, turning it from black to white. :p