EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   VIZIO D43-D2 D-Series 43" 1080p 120Hz (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5019)

Xringer 01-19-17 05:48 PM

VIZIO D43-D2 D-Series 43" 1080p 120Hz

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D43...-HDTV/48194200

After reading a lot of good reviews, I found this for a good price at Walmart.
Anyways, the Energy guide label at the Walmart site is for a larger TV: 55" or 59" @75.4kWh..

This 43" set only uses 51.8 kWh per year..
Based on 12 cents per KWH and 5 hours per day, cost is $6 per year.
Based on our usage and rate, I'm going to guess 12 to 15 bucks a year..

This is going to be a lot better than the old 42" Plasma TV that used over 400w on average..
The Den Mini-split used about 400w on average over the last 18 hours (7.2 kWh). (OD Temperature chart below).

Yeah, I don't need to be running a TV that uses as much power as a M/S.!. :o
We will save a few bucks on power, but going from ED to HD is really nice.
I can read the fine print on this new TV.. 1080i is okay!

In case you've never heard of EDTV..
http://questtel.com/wiki/video-resolutions-sd-ed-hd

pinballlooking 01-20-17 08:31 AM

I felt the same way back in 2013.

I switch from my sweet 60" plasma to 70” Vizio LED TV 2013. (We moved the plasma to the lake)
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...tv-led-tv.html
We have been very happy with the Vizio it has performed really well. It has saved power while looking good.

In the summer the LED TV does not generate near as much heat.

Xringer 01-20-17 09:25 AM

"In the summer the LED TV does not generate near as much heat."
That was another important consideration. Not having that Plasma TV fighting the M/S,
will save us a few bucks during the summer time.

I really like the old Plasma, don't know what to do with it.. It's too big to hoard.. ;)

pinballlooking 01-20-17 09:32 AM

I moved one of my 45” Plasma TV’s to my bedroom for a while but it was way too much heat for a small room. I got a smaller LED TV for the bedroom.

Xringer 01-20-17 10:26 AM

I have a buddy that's having a problem heating his bedroom, maybe...?.. :p

I'll have to find out what I can sell this thing for..

jjackstone 01-20-17 10:35 AM

Hmmm.. 400 Watts. Sounds suspiciously like a good small bedroom heater compared to a 1500W heater. Turn off the sound, turn the screen away from your bed and let it run. ;) Probably even has a on/off timers to let it run for a certain amount of time and then turn back on before waking.
JJ

Xringer 01-21-17 09:02 AM

We have a digital clock up on the Den wall, about 2 feet above the top of the TV location.
After watching the super hot boiling Plasma TV for a while,
my wife always looks up at the temperature display.. "OMG, it's so HOT in here!"..
No matter how many times I've explained about the heat rising up from the hot Plasma, she persist..
I would get the heat sensor pistol and show her the other end of the sofa was 67F and ask her to change her seating position.

I think this new low wattage TV is really going to help with this problem..
Especially this summer, since the afternoon sun is on that west wall.. :eek:
Not the best wall insulation, but at least the M/S cooling will have a shot
at keeping that temperature display closer to the actual room temp.

If the new TV doesn't solve this false overheating problem, I fear the digital
clock will suffer a catastrophic drop to the floor and be replaced by a new
clock that only displays the time of day.. :p

jeff5may 01-21-17 10:36 PM

Visio has improved their energy efficiency since I bought mine. It's a 32 inch e-series, and it uses 50 to 60 watts when it runs, mainly depending on sound volume.

I just couldn't pass up a deal this year on black Friday. I got an Element 43 inch 4k smart tv for $200 on a doorbuster at Target. The energyguide sticker on it says 19 bucks a year. I haven't put it on the kill-a-watt yet, so I don't know exactly what it draws.

Xringer 01-21-17 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't checked my new TV yet. I had the kill-a-watt on the old Plasma a few weeks ago.
It bouncing up and down a lot but on average it was about 400 watts..(I think)..

Maybe the brightness was up a little high, because the TV is rated for 345 Watts.

jjackstone 01-22-17 08:41 AM

Just did the power calculations from your original information. Works out to around 30 Watts. 51800/365= 142wh/day. 142/5 =28.4 watts. That's impressive for a screen that size. I'll be interested in seeing the actual numbers.
JJ

Xringer 01-22-17 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe with the brightness turned down really low.. But not the way I've been watching it.
It looks like 200 ma in sleep mode and about 60 watts in normal viewing mode.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1485108749

I'm getting rid of my $1,354.87 (02/10/2007) EDTV today.. For $100
plus I have to help move the old 27" NEC tv (100+ pounds)..
The EDTV is only 70 pounds. My neighbor across the street is the buyer.

400W vs 60W = Using 80-85 percent less power? I like it..

warmwxrules 01-28-17 11:24 AM

My 50" Panasonic (1080p120hz) from a few years back uses around 75 to 80watts. My 24 inch computer monitor uses 19 watts.

Xringer 01-28-17 01:16 PM

We are loving this 60W TV, but when I checked the FIOS STB, it's using 20W all the time!
The STB in the bedroom is on a switch, so it's not a vampire..
So, it looks like I need a remote switch for the den STB or use a timer..
I don't want to use a timer, since the over-ride will be problematic for my wife..

But, if I could use a timer with voice over-ride from an Amazon Echo Dot..?..
That would be the Bee's Knees.. :)

celblazer 01-29-17 10:18 AM

Sounds like you need to get into home automation. A Smartthings hub and an smart outlet and your set. It would work by both a timer and Alexa voice for override, I love saying "computer"(yup they added it as a wake word) turn on TV and having my screen come down, projector turn on and sound system fire up. You can also pause and change channels with Alexa and a Harmony remote. :) And the harmony remote will tie into ST and turn on/off the outlet automatically for you.

pinballlooking 01-29-17 10:51 AM

I have had some home automation for a long time. But there are some new products that you get in cheaper than when I jumped in.

Here a couple products that you can look at. It is cool for just a couple dollars you can get energy usage monitoring. I would say that feature is a bargain.

These seem to get better reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._i=13575750011

https://www.amazon.com/WeMo-Switch-S.../dp/B00BB2MMNE

Xringer 01-29-17 02:59 PM

You guys must have ESP.. I've been thinking about this Home Automation stuff all day.!.
I understand there are a lot of security concerns and that a consortium of companies is working on an 'open' protocol and strong encryption.. The encryption is going to be the most difficult. For the RF controlled devices, I assume they with go with frequency-hopping or other anti-jam RF system..

In my estimation, it's going to take some time before the final product hits the market. Maybe have some encryption that will force hackers to buy a Cray SuperComputer, before they can break in.. ;)

Anyways, I need to update my security system too.. So I'm going to wait about a year to see if I can jump in at the right point in time..

In the mean time, I still use X10 and would like to put them under the
control of my Echo Dot "Computer".. Which I think might be possible on 433 Mhz.
Using a low cost RF & IR blaster..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIXZDKO

Maybe learn to use IFTT to control the (IR) Sanyo in the den?
Get myself ready for the real deal when the time comes.. If it does....

pinballlooking 01-29-17 03:21 PM

I don’t think one outlet is committing too much. You could still get one outlet wait and see where everything is going to work out.

I don’t think hackers want to take over your outlet.
My gateway has been exposed to the internet for a years and no hacker has taken it over so far.
One outlet would be a fun way to try it out. We like the amazon echo home automation integration so much I added a dot in my bedroom. We have Alexa turn lights on and off many times each day it is the most useful thing about her. My wife likes music and to-do list.

I have something like this in my bedroom. It works fine but I would rather have a dot controlled outlet.
It is another option.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Str...&wl13=&veh=sem

Xringer 01-29-17 04:16 PM

It does look quick and easy.. But, I have a spare X10 AM466 for the STB, sitting here, ready to use..
Plus, I have three more AM466 modules connected to stuff I would like to control,
maybe using a little logical home automation skills..

I think the $30 Broadlink thing might be fun to experiment with..
Broadlink RM Pro Smart Home Intelligent Wi-Fi IR+RF Universal Remote Control EU | eBay

pinballlooking 01-29-17 04:23 PM

Yes it always better to use stuff you laying around than buying new stuff.
Let us know how it works out.

celblazer 01-29-17 07:20 PM

I know on the Smartthings community someone integrated X10 into it. Not sure how deeply but might be an option to keep your old stuff and have it work with Alexa and ST.

Xringer 01-29-17 10:02 PM

I love buying new stuff, but I'm getting advice to hold off for a while,
to wait for the new stuff that's coming within the next year or so.
There will be better hardware and software.. (I hope)..
Look at what has happened to Z-wave and Samsung’s SmartThings. They are hackable.

However, since encryption is so hard to get right, (made hard to break) it might be longer than expected, and I'll be in a rest home.. :rolleyes:

So yeah, I would like to stick with the X10 stuff for now, and save my money for some gear that is harder to hack.
Where I live in MA, there are millions of people using wifi and there is also a high population of hackers..

Around here, there are city halls and police departments paying hackers to turn off Ransomeware..

celblazer 01-30-17 10:41 AM

Everything is hackable. Only way to insure nothing you own is not hackable it to not buy anything with a radio in it or that connects to the net.

I try to keep things locked down as much as possible but I know no matter what someone can and will get in any system if they want to. Easy to break a window instead of the door that is more secure. Every system usually has a weak point.

I installed car alarms back in the day. Even with an alarm windows would get broken and convert tops cut for entry. On convertibles we suggested not installing the auto lock. Leave it unlocked and alarm set. Most thieves will check the door handle to see if it's unlocked. If it's locked a slice to the top and they pop the door. Either way the alarm does off and may loose you stuff but one way saves you the cost/aggravation of replacing the convertible top.

I can't worry about every way the world is out to get me, too old for that. I love never turning on/off my kitchen and bedroom lights. Love the front door unlocked as I arrive especially when my hands are full and knowing when the wife and kid are arriving at the house. House lights up at dusk and turns off when we go to bed. I get a notification if it's raining and I left any windows open. Vacation mode makes the house look occupied. Even the silly announcements for the washer, mail and doorbell. LOL And that doesn't even touch upon most of the system or the voice part.

Long post but my point is I know everything can be hacked these days but I want to enjoy my life so I will. Only way not to be hacked is to live totally off the grid/no electronics at all.

Xringer 01-30-17 10:59 AM

I lost my data+ in the OPM hack.. (When the White House lost the Cyber war in 2015).
So, I know that everything is hackable. I just want my stuff to be less hackable.. :)

I think maybe that Broadlink unit might be able to detect when the Sanyo
mini-split is starting to fail (because it's 7deg outdoors) and turn off the Sanyo,
then turn on some (power hogging) space heating.. :)
That would be really nice and allow me to sleep easier..

Xringer 01-30-17 01:11 PM

I was looking at cheap Wifi controlled sockets on Ebay,
Smart WiFi Remote Control Timer Switch Power Socket Outlet US Plug for Cellphone

then I looked up a video to explain how they worked..
https://youtu.be/BI3fZ1lk-aE

When they showed the app, I realized it was the same Broadlink app
that I downloaded last night, to get some idea how the Broadlink RM2 Pro "Hub thing" worked..
2016 Broadlink RM Pro WiFi Wireless Remote Control Home Automation Kit Black US
Strange, the same app for both devices..

Edit: I saw the Broadlink shipping for $30 from NJ, so I placed an order..
I think this thing might be able to operate our 315 MHz GDO..

dhaslam 02-17-17 09:53 AM

In Europe TVs did not have an energy rating until 2010. Any most large TVs before that make good room heaters. I noticed my TV bought in 2008 was able to raise the room temperature by one degree and the surface temperature was almost 40C. Electricity saving paid for a replacement in two years. It shows how important these labels are for domestic appliances but generally one step from the top ratings gives the optimum value. There is no merit in paying more for an appliance than the energy savings over its life, specially if the electricity source is renewable.

Xringer 02-17-17 02:21 PM

The Sanyo mini split in the TV Den is doing a little extra work now, but I'm sure
it is a lot more efficient than that old Plasma TV..

I really like using the YouTube app on this new TV.. I'm a big YT fan and really like
sitting on a comfortable sofa while I watch.. (Instead of this office chair in the PC room)..