EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Wind Power (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What to power with a simple wind setup (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57)

Daox 09-23-08 09:04 AM

What to power with a simple wind setup

I think wind is a majorly underused source of power. Of course I've looked into small scale residential DIY kind of stuff. A simple wind setup would be a small windmill, charge controller, small battery bank, and a power inverter if you want to use 110V. The problem I always seem to have is what can you actually power with a simple wind setup? I'm thinking things like lights (CFLs of course) and fans. These things don't take lot of power but you find yourself using a lot. Anyone have any other ideas?

groar 09-23-08 09:35 AM

Your 1.4W LEDs
Your radio alarm, your radio
Your battery (AAA&AA) charger, your mp3 player, your cell phone
Your small fridge (the 6 beers model ;)
Your Internet router, your wireless router
Your laptop, but only a few hours a day
Your TV decoder and TV set, sorry.

But like with simple solar systems, simple wind systems will not deliver a lot and will never pay for themselves, except if you DIY some parts and get second hands for other parts.

See my calculation for a single 24/7 20W laptop on a "simple" solar system.

I heard that where there is the most wind, a wind system generates a third of its maximum. Where I live it's a tenth :( so only for the wind mill it will pay for itself in 20 years. Add the charge controller, the batteries and the inverter...

What is the most expensive is the batteries. I would like to have a system that connects directly to the internal electric network to feed a part of the little 24/7 electric systems.

Denis.

toyobug 09-24-08 06:21 AM

I have found alot of answers on this site:

Wind FAQs

Daox 09-25-08 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 284)
What is the most expensive is the batteries. I would like to have a system that connects directly to the internal electric network to feed a part of the little 24/7 electric systems.

I've talked with a few guys about how to get used free/cheap deep cycle batteries. I've had recommendations to stop by semi repair shops and boat shops to see what they have as far as used batteries. This is by no means perfect, but it is definitly cheaper than new batteries!

I think if you can get a small bank of batteries, build a windmill yourself and get a descent charge controller and power inverter you should be able to make a small, but fairly inexpensive and cost effective system.

I too would LOVE to have a grid tie inverter so I could sell back power to the utility. However, I've heard that the cheapest ones are very close to $1000 (US). That would by far be the largest chunk of the entire systems price.

toyobug 09-25-08 10:10 AM

with the grid tie you have to keep in mind the cost of using a Licensed electrician.

dremd 09-28-08 08:43 AM

Man I wish grid tie was affordable.

If you cam come up with some sort of transfer switch (charge based) that would be awesome. You could even run a fride or similar sized load.

toyobug 09-30-08 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dremd (Post 412)
Man I wish grid tie was affordable.

DITTO!!!

Quote:

If you cam come up with some sort of transfer switch (charge based) that would be awesome. You could even run a fride or similar sized load.
I'm sure most have seen or heard of the generators that are tied into your home. Don't these use some sort of switching mechanism to allow them to come on when a power outage is detected?
I'm still learning about grid-tie systems myself but couldn't something like that be used, or at least technology along those lines?
Anyone???

SVOboy 09-30-08 08:39 AM

Food for thought: V10 (vawt,savonius,vertical axis,windturbine,ametek)

toyobug 09-30-08 01:05 PM

i'm curious to know how well it works. Looks simple enough to build. Any one thinking of building one?

Daox 09-30-08 01:30 PM

I'm very excited to start a wind project. I just have so much to do before doing that. Maybe next summer.