EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Solar Power (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   World’s Largest Solar Plant Lights Up 140,000 California Homes with Clean Energy (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3892)

pinballlooking 04-21-15 05:25 PM

Who would have thought this would be happing?

Birds Bursting Into Flames over State of the Art Solar Plant

“Workers at a state-of-the-art solar plant in the Mojave Desert have a name for birds that fly through the plant's concentrated sun rays — "streamers," for the smoke plume that comes from birds that ignite in midair.”

Birds Bursting Into Flames over State of the Art Solar Plant

Daox 04-22-15 09:23 AM

Doh. It seems all sources of power have their drawbacks.

Nikhilmehra 05-24-16 05:18 AM

The beginning of this year saw the IFC , a member of the World Bank Group, announcing a collaboration with the Madhya Pradesh government to establish a 750 MW ultra-mega solar power project. Once it is set up, it will be the world’s largest solar plant. The plant is said to start generating solar energy by March 2017. According to the state’s energy minister Rajendra Shukla, the project is a joint venture of Solar Energy Corporation of India and MP Urja Vikas Nigam, wherein both parties have 50% stake.

Welspun Renewable takes credit for developing some of the world’s largest and highly efficient grid-connected wind and solar projects in India.

oil pan 4 05-25-16 12:07 AM

Is it PV or bird incinerator?

nibs 05-26-16 11:36 PM

Of all the power sources, my preference is for solar (PV), it of course has no moving parts, and minimal impact on the environment. PV works synergistically with hydro dams, when the sun shines, hold back the water.
PV also is viable in small scale operations, and is infinitely scalable. A small town can install a PV array and unload the grid during peak A/C use. Nipton Ca has done that and it is working well.
Cost per installed watt is known and is approaching $1 /watt for the panels,
Panels and assoc wiring and hardware can be installed beneath exisitng power lines, and on big flat roofs.
Wind turbines have a special place in my heart as I used to build small units, but so many errors have been made in siteing them, near homes, places with little wind, shoddily built small units etc that they carry a little baggage these days.
PV just makes so much sense to me.

oil pan 4 07-13-16 09:51 PM

More trouble.
World's Largest Solar Plant Catches Fire
I guess they just assumed there would never be a glitch or mistake.

pinballlooking 07-13-16 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 50970)
More trouble.
World's Largest Solar Plant Catches Fire
I guess they just assumed there would never be a glitch or mistake.

You would think they would catch something like that with inspections.