EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Renovations & New Construction (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Building a large shop with SIPS (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3970)

stevehull 10-28-14 06:26 AM

Building a large shop with SIPS

Fixing tractors, repairing/sharpening 20 foot wide mowers in the barn with animals looking on, the livestock guardian dogs stealing tools has inherent difficulties, much less the manure on the floor.

The plan, for about five years has been to build a shop of perhaps 35 x 40 feet. Nothing fancy, just a pole barn with metal skin. Pavers on the floor for water drainage, 20 amps of electricity for a few lights. I carved out an area with a bulldozer a couple years ago and allowed for subsoil to compact through a few heat/cold cycles.

But then I got thinking. I really need this big enough for a roof top 10 kW PV system. And I really need a large overhang on side going out ~ 25 feet to store 1200 lb rolls of hay and it would be great if I could drive the big Deere tractor in there (cab is almost 10 feet to top) to work on.

OK, now it is 40 x 60 feet. Overhang needs to have a 1x12 pitch so I need to start that side shed roof about 12 feet up so I can get tractor in there to place and get hay. So must have 12 foot tall sidewalls.

If I am going to work in there in summer, a metal building will be hot as hell. What does it cost to spray in 3 inches of foam on walls and under roof. Yikkes!! That goes for almost $3 per sq foot.

And windstorms are common here so it needs to be strong so I really need to beef up metal walls.

Back on the bulldozer to enlarge space and to allow long axis of barn east west to allow southern roof to point south.

Long story short. I am in the process of building with SIPS. Structurally insulated panel system. Turns out, the cost of the SIPS was lower than a traditional metal framed and spray insulated building.

Pictures coming.

Steve

pinballlooking 10-28-14 08:58 AM

I look forward to see more on this. This was cheaper than a metal building?
It I funny how projects grow.

theoldwizard1 10-28-14 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehull (Post 41279)
Long story short. I am in the process of building with SIPS. Structurally insulated panel system. Turns out, the cost of the SIPS was lower than a traditional metal framed and spray insulated building.

Pictures coming.

Steve

I am "in for the ride" ! I personally discovered SIP a few years ago and am convinced, if I ever build a structure that will be heated and/or cooled I will use SIPs !

Lots of questions.
  • Did the SIP supplier provide plans ?
  • What thickness are the walls and roof ?
  • There are several different methods of "spline-ing" the panels together. What does your supplier use for both walls and roof sections ?
  • The roof panels have to be over 20' long. I assume they are one piece, correct ?
  • From a rookie perspective, the ridge joint and the joint at the top of the wall look a bit tricky. Pictures or diagrams, please !

theoldwizard1 10-28-14 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 41280)
I look forward to see more on this. This was cheaper than a metal building?

The OP states it is cheaper when you add in the cost of spray foam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehull (Post 41279)
If I am going to work in there in summer, a metal building will be hot as hell. What does it cost to spray in 3 inches of foam on walls and under roof. Yikkes!! That goes for almost $3 per sq foot.

With SIP construction 4-6" walls are common. Same with 8-12" roof panels. Much better than 3" of spray foam and almost as air tight !

Usually with SIP construction, the big savings is on heating and cooling.

pinballlooking 10-28-14 11:00 AM

Our weather is milder you don’t see metal buildings insulated with spray foam around here. They are now insulating with the foil bubbles.

theoldwizard1 10-28-14 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 41286)
Our weather is milder you don’t see metal buildings insulated with spray foam around here. They are now insulating with the foil bubbles.

Most pole barns/metal buildings are not really "weather tight". They are primarily to keep things dry. Foil bubble insulation would be terribly inadequate if you were building a building that you wanted to heat/cool in SC !!

The OPs 40x60 building (2400 sq ft) could probably be heated and cooled by a 3 ton mini-split heat pump with 3 - 4 air handlers. By "traditional" standards that would be undersized, but with sufficient wall and ceiling insulation and decent windows and doors, I think it would work.

pinballlooking 10-28-14 11:47 AM

He never said he was going to heat or cool it. I never said that is what we use for heating and cooling.
It just keeps it from getting hot or really cool. The guy next door just put one in with a ridge vent it and it stays pretty nice in there it just has foil bubble insulation. Yes in SC

theoldwizard1 10-28-14 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 41289)
The guy next door just put one in with a ridge vent it and it stays pretty nice in there it just has foil bubble insulation. Yes in SC

Surprising ! :thumbup:

stevehull 10-28-14 07:37 PM

Some details .. . .

Walls are 4 inch SIPS, 12 feet long. Spline is a 2x4 glued and stapled to the next SIP. Roof is on trusses (4/12 pitch). Trusses every 4 feet. Roof panels 6 inch SIPS.

Metal "ag" panel roof (24 G) with white metal trim.

Both sides of the SIP are 1/2 inch oriented strand board (OSB). Roof overhang on all sides of 1 foot.

Small area inside for conditioned space office (12 x 28 feet). Insulated metal overhead doors (14 feet wide x 10 feet high).

Outside is 1/4 ply (0.25 inch) 4x8 plywood sheets rough cut to look like cedar. Battens (3 inch) then go up vertically every 1 foot to cover plywood edges and to match other barn on property. Stain is a light gray color (sorta looks like old cedar).

All built on 18 inch concrete (3500 psi) stem wall (6 inch thick) with J both holding down plate every four feet. Stem wall on 18 inch diameter piers about 3-6 feet deep) until rock was hit.

I am putting in at least 10 hours of work a day . . . exhausting.

Steve

ecomodded 10-28-14 08:22 PM

hly crap that building is never going to fall down / blow over.

What a lot of work your describing incredible really. Helluva job