EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Solar Power (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Off-the-grid with grid-tie inverter? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936)

buteman 10-28-19 07:10 AM

What about using a high power H Bridge wired to a transformer rather than a motor. If the bridge was driven to switch at say 60 Hz could that then be set up to produce a lower voltage output, rectified and fed to a charge controller?
It wouldn't need to do anything other than connect the output from the panels to the H bridge system instead of the inverter.

NiHaoMike 10-30-19 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buteman (Post 61577)
Thanks for the quick reply Xringer.
Not really studied it. It was installed before we bought the house. It's around 4 Kilo watt and appears to have 16 panels arranged as 2 banks of 8 with 192 volt per chain.

That voltage is right in the range to run a switching power supply from. Just add a connector to allow easy connection if needed.

Most likely the easiest/cheapest way to build a power tap device would be to hack some ATX power supplies. Mod them to output 14.4V for charging lead acid batteries (or 16.4V for 4S lithium, or even 12.3V for 3S lithium), have a current limit to prevent exceeding the rating of the PSU, and add an input voltage control loop to prevent them from trying to pull the input voltage below the MPP rating of the panels.

buteman 11-03-19 03:59 PM

Ah yes. never thought of that! I have a few computer psu's knocking about

nokiasixteth 04-25-20 09:32 PM

Did you ever get it up and going @xringer. Seems to make it legal you would need a interlocking breaker so when power goes off you can keep from backfeeding the grid during power outage . Next problem would be how to keep from over charging and damaging your batteries . Solar edge can be curtailed with the context sw and xw pro i have read . Also a guy has emphase that does the same.

Xringer 04-25-20 10:24 PM

Not really. One of my four 200w PV panels was killed by a falling limb and I used the remaining 600 watts to heat water, until my tank started leaking beyond repair.
Now, I'm using that 600 watts for space heat (2000 BTUh) in the basement.
Grid tie stuff is off the table these days..

nokiasixteth 04-25-20 11:18 PM

I just bought the context sw and the nissan leaf lithium batteries to hook up when grid is down for pure offgrid backup in a short term outage. I Dont quite have the money to finish it completely to do the curtailment but do want to see if the frequency curtailment is valid for solar for the grid tied solar edge seen your post was hoping someone knew for sure.

Xringer 04-26-20 10:07 AM

I wanted something to work if the grid failed to power sump pumps and a few devices.
Lead acid storage still works, but not sure how many watt hours is available.
To back-up that short term power, I have a gas generator that can provide limited power for a few days.
I only have abt one KW of solar PV, (that's behind too much shade) so I'm never going to use that to augment my grid power.

I'm 74 years old with a bad underlying heart condition, and don't expect to be
around much longer. So my hobby stuff is currently on the back burner.

nokiasixteth 08-07-20 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xringer (Post 62400)
I wanted something to work if the grid failed to power sump pumps and a few devices.
Lead acid storage still works, but not sure how many watt hours is available.
To back-up that short term power, I have a gas generator that can provide limited power for a few days.
I only have abt one KW of solar PV, (that's behind too much shade) so I'm never going to use that to augment my grid power.

I'm 74 years old with a bad underlying heart condition, and don't expect to be
around much longer. So my hobby stuff is currently on the back burner.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/v...s:gx_solaredge

This i found . Obviously after i had already bought a different inverter :)

Xringer 08-08-20 07:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I get time.
It's the season for maintenance on my heating systems & my back-up power.
I'm babysitting 5 days a week and my weekend leisure time is very limited.