EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lawn and Garden (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Better tomatoes via a fertilizer of human urine (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=652)

Daox 09-14-09 12:24 PM

Better tomatoes via a fertilizer of human urine

Yep, pee. Apparently this increased crop production by over 4x! It also works on other plants as well. The study

So, I guess ya need to start filling those self watering planters in your bathroom Hig! :D

Better Tomatoes Via a Fertilizer of...Human Urine? | Popular Science

Higgy 09-15-09 02:12 PM

EEEWWW!

Plus...there's a tube...that means in the summer I don't even have to go back inside to pee.

basjoos 09-15-09 03:54 PM

My plants get a combination of ovine and human urine...and the odd squirt of canine, filine, lapine, rodent, and batrachian urine. Of course, birds mix their urine with their feces as it comes out, so my plants get fertilized with a bit of bird urea along with the uric acid crystals expelled by the insects and spiders inhabiting the garden.

Ryland 09-16-09 10:34 PM

and here I peed on stuff to keep the rabbits away.

101Volts 07-30-13 05:13 PM

I did hear from somewhere that mixing Urine with water - At a ratio of about one to four - Would help fertilize plants. And hey, It reduces use of the five-gallon flush toilet (Which is where a lot of our time is going by using it, No joke)

doug30293 11-24-13 07:06 AM

We've been putting a 1:4 mix on the flowers for 22 years. I was initially worried about buildup of mineral salts in the soil but this hasn't proven to be a problem. The biggest problem is the bucket of whiz stinking up the bathroom before morning.

iamgeo 11-24-13 08:55 AM

I lived across from some drunks many moons ago. As drunks do, they would not always go inside to pee. They would go to the side of the house and pee, the side of the house where they had cucumbers growing.
When I would see them picking the cucumbers it made my stomach turn.

jeff88 11-25-13 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgeo (Post 33518)

But how big were the cucumbers?! :p

doug30293 11-25-13 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgeo (Post 33518)

Although urine provides all the nutrients for bacterial development, the urine itself is essentially sterile. The revulsion toward the behavior of some drunkards makes one wish they were sterile.

Urine makes an excellent starter for a compost pile as it will encourage decomposition of just about any vegetative material. I've seen a pressure treated deck destroyed because of poorly aimed "used" beer.

DEnd 04-29-14 07:49 PM

The Rich Earth Institute is currently undergoing field trials of using urine to fertilize. They pasteurize it first to eliminate micro organisms. Urine contains most of the Potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus we eliminate from our bodies. The main downside is it also contains most of our unwanted chemical residues (ie drugs and their metabolized components). Part of what REI is looking into is what is the plant take up rate of these things, and is it a health risk.