EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Tools (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sunrise Tracking Alarm Clock... (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4948)

AC_Hacker 11-10-16 12:01 PM

Sunrise Tracking Alarm Clock...

This shouldn't be too difficult, but I want a clock that can wake me up 30 minutes before dawn, so that I can drink a cup of java, and head out to shoot morning photographs, when the light is beautiful.

Is there any app or device that can track the progression of sunrise and alert me 30 or so minutes early?

I found some Islamic specialty clocks that do it, but I'm not looking for the built-in prayers.

Any ideas??

-AC

Geo NR Gee 11-10-16 01:03 PM

Google Play has one called Sunrise alarm.

Features:
Sunrise Alarm" calculates the exact sunrise time based on your location and wakes you up at sunrise.

Other Features :
- Alarm Tone option
- Increasing Volume Alarm
- Alarm Offset (x minutes before or after sunrise)
- Snooze Duration
- Force Snooze
- Exclude Days of the week

bmxeroh 11-10-16 02:31 PM

Probably cheaper to go with the app Geo mentioned, but our automation controllers do have an astronomical clock built in so I can trigger events based around sunrise/sunset. Mind you these are dealer only, but my house (test system, which drives the GF crazy that nothing ever stays the same) system is set up to trigger some lighting changes 20 minutes before sunset. I also have my bedroom light setup to slowly transition to full brightness over the course of 30 minutes when it's time to get up. Plus I'd bet the Amazon Echo's could do it, they seem to be able to handle pretty much any random thing I can think of so far.

AC_Hacker 11-10-16 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee (Post 52342)
Google Play has one called Sunrise alarm.

Features:
Sunrise Alarm" calculates the exact sunrise time based on your location and wakes you up at sunrise...

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a heap.

Best,

-AC

AC_Hacker 11-10-16 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxeroh (Post 52344)
Probably cheaper to go with the app Geo mentioned, but our automation controllers do have an astronomical clock built in so I can trigger events based around sunrise/sunset. Mind you these are dealer only, but my house (test system, which drives the GF crazy that nothing ever stays the same) system is set up to trigger some lighting changes 20 minutes before sunset. I also have my bedroom light setup to slowly transition to full brightness over the course of 30 minutes when it's time to get up. Plus I'd bet the Amazon Echo's could do it, they seem to be able to handle pretty much any random thing I can think of so far.

Great stuff! Very thorough.

I think the App will do the job... for free.

Best,

-AC

AC_Hacker 11-15-16 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, the app is working just as it should.

There are extra features for buck$, but I can't imagine how I would make use of them.

Anyway, it gets me up at just the right time to take advantage of morning light, just as I had hoped.

Thanks,

-AC

pinballlooking 11-15-16 01:12 PM

Thanks for the update, nice picture.

wilsonsmith 11-29-16 07:40 AM

Research shows that the healthiest way to wake up is along with the sun rising and the world gradually becoming lighter. And there’s the premise of a wake-up light alarm.

The gradual increase in light intensity tells your body the sun is coming up. As a result the pineal gland reduces the hormone melatonin that makes you sleepy and secretes the hormones cortisol and serotonin into your bloodstream.

These play an essential role in waking you up.

stevehull 11-29-16 08:54 AM

My early morning cortisol is increased by the G damn cats that jump on me wanting to be fed.

I have not seen a gradual increasing light alarm" clock. Any suggestions?

Steve

bmxeroh 11-29-16 12:47 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-HF352.../dp/B0093162RM

Looks like it would do the trick. I do this at home with my automation system and overhead lights, but again would be a little pricey for use just as an alarm clock.