EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Appliances & Gadgets (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Warmed/heated toilet seat (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4651)

oil pan 4 12-08-15 07:41 PM

Warmed/heated toilet seat

1 Attachment(s)
:rolleyes:

Well it works.
Only draws about 14 watts.
That is a lot less than an electric space heater.
The advertisement said that it warms the seat 20 to 25 degrees F warmer then the surrounding environment.
Its sitting at about +20'F.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1449625046

NiHaoMike 12-09-15 12:44 AM

How long does it take to warm up? I think this is one place where more power, thermostatically controlled, would actually be a lot more efficient.

AC_Hacker 12-09-15 02:03 AM

As I understand it, Japanese don't heat their bathrooms. Instead they heat their toilet seats, much less energy.

They have done quite a bit of development on these things, with washing and drying features too. Toto seems to have the most sophisticated and expensive ones, and there a re quite a few Korean made units that have similar features for less money.

Some even have 'learning' functions, so that they learn your habits, and heat up when you are likely to need it.

Search: 'bidet seat' and/or washlet for more info.

-AC

oil pan 4 12-09-15 07:23 AM

It took between 10 and 20 minutes to warm up.
Low power heat input an heat out put eventually balance out.
Its naturally thermostatic.

Yes I lived in northern japan for 3 years.
The concept of residential central heating is alien to them.
Kerosene space heaters are very popular.

Japan is the leader in toilet seat tech. But I didn't want to spend $400 to $600 on a seat.

AC_Hacker 12-10-15 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 48351)
Japan is the leader in toilet seat tech. But I didn't want to spend $400 to $600 on a seat.

Check out the Korean models for half of what you just quoted. Not quite as 'sleek', but is a toilet seat the right place for sleekness?

I saw some even cheaper as 'referbs' but again, is a toilet seat where you want a referb?

-AC

Geo NR Gee 12-10-15 02:48 AM

After spending 6 weeks in South Korea recently, I can attest to the comfort factor. I remember the first night at a hotel after a 12 hour flight and waking from a deep sleep. I found myself walking across a cold tile floor and then sitting on a pre-warmed toilet seat. I would have to say that it was something of a luxury, however it was nice and something I could get used to.

I got a bit of a surprise after pushing some buttons written in Korean while I was trying to flush it!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

AC_Hacker 12-10-15 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee (Post 48369)
I got a bit of a surprise after pushing some buttons written in Korean while I was trying to flush it!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Yeah, no ordinary toilet seat.

When I built my MiniLoo, I was aware of the bidet seats, and after reading some reviews, and watching YouTube reviews, I decided to allow for one in the MiniLoo, so I made sure that my little wall-hung Toto was designed to accomodate a TOTO SW2044.

I even built in a GFI and a water tap.

Haven't got the magic Toto yet, but I am ready.

-AC

NiHaoMike 12-12-15 12:39 AM

Keeping it warm 24/7 just because it needs to be used for a few minutes per day doesn't sound very optimal. As opposed to a quickly heating design that only takes a few seconds to warm up and therefore only needs to turn on when actually in use.

oil pan 4 12-12-15 08:31 PM

I guess I could spend a few hundred more on one that warms up faster.

where2 12-13-15 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee (Post 48369)
I got a bit of a surprise after pushing some buttons written in Korean while I was trying to flush it!

The buttons adjacent to the flush at the Marriot I stayed at in Tokyo were similarly written in a foreign language. It was most definitely a Toto flush with plenty of bells and functions based on what happened when I pressed them.

When my wife and I were dating, her townhouse had a bidet. Her cats used to love to sleep in the bowl of the bidet.