EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Geothermal & Heat Pumps (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   DX Geothermal Pond 4 ton Heat Pump (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4477)

MEMPHIS91 11-20-15 06:28 AM

Mejunkhound, sadly I don't have that kinda space. And I am going to use copper in copper because I want to have the refrigerant on the outside of the water pipe. I'm thinking the coils help the water "stir" around in the pipe more too. Not sure how long it needs to be but the picture doesn't make it look very long. I'm thinking 1" inside of 1.5" copper tubing.

jeff5may 11-20-15 07:28 AM

I guess bbp decided not to use these hx coils in his monster solar heat pump water furnace project. If you are looking to buy a hx, that one is the bees knees for what you have planned. Just be aware that you will need a filter before it in your water supply. And I would definitely incorporate temperature and flow sensing in your control scheme. It would be worth the time and money spent the first time it saved the turbotec hx.

MEMPHIS91 11-20-15 07:45 AM

Well if he wants to sell them, OR donate to an awesome project..... ;) Seriously I might want one.

I was thinking something like this for a filter 4 Ton Evaporator Coaxial Spiral Heat Exchanger Condenser | eBay

Maybe fine one cheaper though.

superlen 11-20-15 11:54 AM

Memphis,

I have a packless 5T coaxial. I can measure for you this weekend if you like, but I'm guessing it's probably 20' if unrolled. My suggestion is go as big as you can....monster size if possible. You can always pump the water through slower if you need to, enjoying the lower pump amp draw. :)

Len

superlen 11-20-15 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mejunkhound (Post 48058)
Don't bother trying to coil it, simply use straight pipes, 180 deg bend at one end.

Own house has 5T HE, 80 ft of 3/4 Cu pipe inside 1-1/4" PVC pipe. 40 ft across basement ceiling and back. Sloped to control return oil flow of course.

I like this concept.

It seems like this would provide a very efficient HEX without the hassle of coiling. Plus, it makes your basement look awesome! :) Is this the system you posted some temps/flow rates on in another recent thread? How did you seal the ends where the 3/4" copper exited?

Len

superlen 11-20-15 06:45 PM

Memphis,

My coil is 6 turns at around 13". That works out to just over 20'. I'm a good guesser. :) It's rated for 5T, but obviously it matters how much gpm you an flow through it. A larger unit would move the same heat with less gpm & vice versa.

Len

MEMPHIS91 11-20-15 06:57 PM

Awesome info! Do you know pipe sizes? And would you mind taking a picture?

superlen 11-21-15 12:33 PM

I took some pics last weekend and I'll get them uploaded, hopefully today. (Having some phone usb issues).

In the meantime here are some approx sizes. This is an older single wall coaxial that was made before the twisted/fluted/contoured inner pipe design became common. I haven't cut it open, but I'm assuming its just smooth pipe rolled inside a larger smooth pipe.

Outside tube is around 1.25" and refrigerant flows in it, stubbed out with 5/8" line. The inside tube is 3/4" and water flows through it, again I assuming it's just smooth wall 3/4" copper. The model number sticker is still on it and at one time I had the datasheet downloaded. I will try and locate again & post link.

Len

MEMPHIS91 11-21-15 01:46 PM

Awesome! I was thinking 25 feet of 1.5" outside, 1" inside. If your is 5 ton, my 4 ton should be great!
Jeff what is the exact username for bbq? I would like to message him.

jeff5may 11-21-15 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 (Post 48095)
Awesome! I was thinking 25 feet of 1.5" outside, 1" inside. If your is 5 ton, my 4 ton should be great!
Jeff what is the exact username for bbq? I would like to message him.

EcoRenovator - View Profile: buffalobillpatrick

Beware: that man is an evil genius. The control scheme he came up with using a few uno boards and some spare parts confused me almost as much as his heat store plumbing. I wonder how it has been performing. Haven't heard anything about it since last winter.