EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Solar Power (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   World’s Largest Solar Plant Lights Up 140,000 California Homes with Clean Energy (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3892)

Daox 09-30-14 11:48 AM

World’s Largest Solar Plant Lights Up 140,000 California Homes with Clean Energy

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1412095468

Very cool setup in California.

World?s Largest Solar Plant Lights Up 140,000 California Homes with Clean Energy | Industry Tap

more info with a few videos: Solar Project in California Desert Ivanpah World

Quote:

Located in California’s Mojave Desert, Ivanpah is the largest solar thermal plant in the world, sprawling across roughly 5 square miles (13 sq. kilometers) near the California-Nevada border.

The $2.2 billion complex of three power generating units, owned by NRG Energy Inc., Google Inc. and BrightSource Energy, will generate 392 megawatts solar power … enough to power 140,000 homes annually.

rbelectronics 11-05-14 03:07 AM

it's cool....great idea to use natural resources

I have never seen such a large number of solar panels installed on a desert together. The energy generated is very beneficial. I would like to see more such projects around the world, which will generate a large amount of power and will benefit billions of families around the world. As this project uses the solar energy which is a renewable source, many more renewable sources present around the world must be used to live a better life. These renewable sources are efficient as compared to the non-renewable sources, so there will be lesser pollution and energy wastage around the world.

wuck 11-21-14 10:28 AM

But, there have been a few startup issues, with plant operators predicting another 4 years to hit predicted peak output.

"Factors such as clouds, jet contrails and weather have had a greater impact on the plant than the owners anticipated," the agency said in a statement.

Article Here

Pat

oil pan 4 12-25-14 12:54 AM

2.2 billion dollars for generating less than 400MW for only part of the day.
I have nothing more to say about it, the dollars versus watts say it all.

jeff5may 12-25-14 04:01 PM

For many well-intentioned but not technically or financially inclined individuals, the dollars per watt value is pretty much irrelevant compared to the progress achieved. Many end users would gladly pay double for their power if they knew it was derived from renewable resources. I myself see this as a testament to what the big power companies can realistically achieve when they budget some of their billions in that direction.

Besides the obvious power generation, just imagine how many jobs have been created to maintain such an installation.

Servicetech 12-25-14 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff5may (Post 42607)
For many well-intentioned but not technically or financially inclined individuals, the dollars per watt value is pretty much irrelevant compared to the progress achieved. Many end users would gladly pay double for their power if they knew it was derived from renewable resources. I myself see this as a testament to what the big power companies can realistically achieve when they budget some of their billions in that direction.

Besides the obvious power generation, just imagine how many jobs have been created to maintain such an installation.

The problem is the government extorts the money out of taxpayers pockets to cover the cost. Solar is great, but taxpayers shouldn't get the bill.

jeff5may 12-25-14 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servicetech (Post 42609)
The problem is the government extorts the money out of taxpayers pockets to cover the cost. Solar is great, but taxpayers shouldn't get the bill.

There is an obvious solution to that situation: ecorenovate your own property. Simply install your choice of self-generation equipment. Lessen your reliance on the grid and start saving money.

The only downside to that option: you may end up paying more property tax, due to the increased value of your property.

oil pan 4 12-25-14 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servicetech (Post 42609)

You are correct.
If one were to grid tie their house how much would you expect it to cost?

I calculate almost $16,000 per home.
That would buy and install around 4kw of simple grid tied PV, that is enough to most if not all the power to a lot of homes.

Now if they were able to power each home for several thousand dollars then I would say bravo, good job and money well spent.
But no, with their huge bird incinerating project the are unable to do it any cheaper than the average person. I find it unacceptable to spend other peoples money that inefficiently.

philb 12-29-14 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 42611)
I calculate almost $16,000 per home.
That would buy and install around 4kw of simple grid tied PV, that is enough to most if not all the power to a lot of homes.

But no, with their huge bird incinerating project the are unable to do it any cheaper than the average person. I find it unacceptable to spend other peoples money that inefficiently.

That's what politicians do oil pan 4. Spend your money. Since it's located in the Mojave, mirror washers crews have a full time jobs plus benefits. :thumbup:

oil pan 4 12-29-14 09:32 PM

The mirror washers jobs will eventually be replaced by a robot.