EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lawn and Garden (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   3 questions for how to move gray water for plants? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1628)

tomboy mom 07-08-11 12:36 PM

3 questions for how to move gray water for plants?

disclaimer: concrete slab house.

1)is there an easier way to use left over bath water than filling up and carrying gallon jugs of water? we have a bath only about 15 -25 feet from several plants in our front yard. is there a way to use a hose or something similar to accomplish this that won't leave evidence outside when not in use? we have an hoa so anything in the front has to be very discreet. my kids and i have been carrying them out with 1 gallon jugs. it works but makes a mess.

2) also, any good ideas for setting up a more permanent system without the discreet restrictions for kitchen sink that is next to an exterior wall to the backyard?

3) washing machine is upstairs and is high efficiency. is it even worth trying to set up a system for collecting that gray water?

RichInIL 07-10-11 09:26 PM

Is the bath at a higher elevation than the plants?

If so, all you need a length of tubing/hose that stretches all the way to the plants to siphon the water out of the tub. If you aren't tolerant of dripping tubing in your house you might also want a siphon pump.

strider3700 07-10-11 11:43 PM

my 3 year old front load HE washing machine uses about 52 liters per load. If that is enough to be worth collecting is up to you.

tomboy mom 07-10-11 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider3700 (Post 14488)
my 3 year old front load HE washing machine uses about 52 liters per load. If that is enough to be worth collecting is up to you.

oh wow! that is a lot. i still think it is a lower priority than the ones that are less work. i should have clarified that. anything i do i will be figuring out for the first time. the idea of doing anything from the upstairs front to the downstairs back is very intimidating.

tomboy mom 07-10-11 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichInIL (Post 14486)
Is the bath at a higher elevation than the plants?

If so, all you need a length of tubing/hose that stretches all the way to the plants to siphon the water out of the tub. If you aren't tolerant of dripping tubing in your house you might also want a siphon pump.

i'm pretty tolerant actually. we have tile.

the tub may be 6 inches above the plants...so if a hose is sufficient and it is easier with the source at a higher elevation then i may be able to use the gray water from upstairs after all.

ella1985 07-11-11 02:13 AM

Pretty nice information shraed here! I was searching for ti when came across to your post.

vmike 07-11-11 09:52 AM

An inexpensive submersible water garden pump for the tub might be a viable possibility. If you have room in your laundry a collection tank between the wash machine and the drain will make collection easier. Slightly elevated with a hose connection at the bottom will make draining easier or just use the same submersible pump and hose.

Higgy 07-11-11 01:14 PM

Wouldn't you need to remove the residual soap from the water before you use it? Soap will kill plants won't it?

tomboy mom 07-12-11 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgy (Post 14509)
Wouldn't you need to remove the residual soap from the water before you use it? Soap will kill plants won't it?

i don't know about the washer, but for the tub it has not been an issue. howevah- i live in the dessert and have like a foot of shredded aspen mulch on everything which i am thinking may catch a lot of residue.

tomboy mom 07-12-11 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ella1985 (Post 14492)
Pretty nice information shraed here! I was searching for ti when came across to your post.

glad it helped :thumbup:. did you make any plans yet?

we actually got rain here two days ago so i haven't had to water much again yet.