EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Chevy Volt (good earth day post.) (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3665)

pinballlooking 03-14-17 01:56 PM

Yes I agree he does have a good post on the Volt forum.
2016 Volt 120v EVSE is L1/L2 Conversion Capable

His images
http://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

Just incase someone else wants to try it.

pinballlooking 03-23-17 10:02 AM

I have had my Volt for a while now. I just had to make a quick trip to Fort Myers FL.
On the drive back I had a fully charged car and I stopped in Jacksonville FL at my nephew’s place and charged my car close to full charge. It was old wiring so I only charged with 8 amps. I did not feel comfortable with 12 amps.
I drove 675 miles one way 40 MPG I was driving 75-76 most of the way. When the car calculates MPG it also counts the EV miles.
If you drive very long trips all the time a Toyota Prius would do better than a Volt.
But that is not how we use our car so the Volt works well for us.

We have 67,458 solar Powered EV miles so far.

pinballlooking 03-23-17 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxeroh (Post 53914)
All black, including interior. Comfort package which includes the heated seats and steering wheel. Now I just need to take a gander at this charger to determine if it's one of the clipper creek models that can do L2 charging as well. I know the 2016 chargers were, but I'm going to need to crack it open before I start making stupid dangerous adapters and whatnot. http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1489436838

How do you like your new Volt?

pinballlooking 05-01-17 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We now have 69,007 solar powered miles on or 2013 Volt.
My new tires are getting broken in we got 39 EV miles this morning.
The car is still running great.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1493674410

WyrTwister 05-01-17 07:58 PM

How many miles per charge were you getting on the old tires ?

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 05-01-17 08:02 PM

OEM tires 43-45 when heat was not needed.

The problem I have with the OEM tires is if you bump or hit a curb you can bust a side wall. If you are careful you can avoid this issue. My wife drives the car 98% of the time. She caught a curb and had a flat tire close to time they needed replaced anyway. So I changed to a better tire for safety the volt does not have a spare tire. We get about a 10% hit on EV mileage for replacing the tires. Michelin made the tires for the Gen2 volt I bet those tires are better. They changed the tire size from the Gen1 volt.

pinballlooking 05-03-17 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I go out to Volt stats every so often.
Look at sparkie 379,957 miles that is a bunch of miles.
It is good to see volts with over 100K EV miles on their batteries.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1493867492

jeff5may 05-04-17 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rubber band low profile tires either. Vehicle number 3 had them on it when I bought it:
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1493897838

For comparison, the newer TahoeBlazer behind my truck has stock size wheels and tires on it. Me likey bigger wheels. Not so much shorty tires. They tend to die young.

I'm now down to only the right front being low profile, due to various road hazards and people trying to wreck into me. The truck drives much more like a tractor with the 245/45/20 tires on it, and becomes a "non off-road" vehicle. Evasive maneuvers are a whole lot more difficult when you break a bead digging into a swerve! When the first one blew out on me, I went to the local Firestone shop and asked the counter guy what size they sold the most of. So now it has 3 used 275/55/20 tires on it. The rubber band will be coming off soon, as it has picked up a screw. It now needs air every five days or whenever I get gas, whichever comes first.

The whole gas saving argument is more of a sales pitch. Truth be told, older broken in tires get better fuel economy than brand new tires (like 15-20% less friction better), just because they have that little curve on the edges. It's not your alignment in most cases, it's friction distribution. Blah blah science physics blah blah the edges wear out first. By the time most people think their tires are worn out, they are getting 3 or 4 extra miles per tank of gas.

WyrTwister 05-04-17 07:52 AM

I have always read . heard the " rubber band " tires ride much rougher .

When I put new OEM low rolling resistance tires tires on the Leaf , the miles per charge dropped a little . Never got them " broken in " before the car was rear ended . :-(

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 05-17-17 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our 2013 Chevy Volt just hit 70K EV miles all solar powered. My wife still getting 39 EV miles taking the boys to school this morning and 38 in the afternoon 100% EV miles.
70K EV miles and still getting good range.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1495053804

pinballlooking 05-17-17 04:22 PM

AC_Hacker How is your Leaf doing? How many miles have you put on it?
You have had it for a while how do you like it?

WyrTwister 05-17-17 04:33 PM

Me ?

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 05-17-17 04:36 PM

You don't have your anymore do you.
This was AC_Hacker car.

WyrTwister 05-17-17 05:00 PM

No , Wife got rear ended last fall , setting at a traffic lite . :-(

We liked the Leaf .

Still thinking about a used Volt , if I could find one for the right price , in good condition .

Mean while she is still driving the 2015 Chevy Sonic . I drove it this last weekend , with A/C it was showing a little over 25 MPG ( on the guess-o-meter ) , running city errands . Have not had it on the road in at least 6 months .

God bless
Wyr

DEnd 05-22-17 05:15 AM

pinball what's your tax going to be now? SC's EV road use tax is lower than NC's (at least I'm assuming they passed the gas tax overhaul/increase in SC, because it was sorely needed) and the last I looked NC's still saved money over the typical car. Is the Volt treated like a hybrid or an EV for that?

pinballlooking 05-22-17 12:22 PM

They have not passed the tax yet. EV will be $120 every two years and hybrid is $60 every two years. (if it passes)

I don’t think this is well thought out. They want you to buy an EV and they give you $2,000 to do it.
They then charge you more each year. What about a diesel car that gets the same gas mileage as a hybrid do they tax them also?

I do not know what they consider my Volt I buy gas and pay gas tax. They don’t exempt my boats or jet skis I pay for gas tax for those and they never go on the road.

DEnd 05-24-17 01:54 AM

While I mostly agree with you on the diesel point (though diesel cars pay more tax to begin with, but that's federal), I completely agree with the tax on EVs. As the plan sits the EVs will only pay about half the tax as what gas cars do (on average, due to no federal tax), and in a couple of years it will be almost 1/3. And in reality, almost no one is going to be swayed into (or out of) an EV due to consumption tax concerns, assuming taxes are reasonable.

pinballlooking 06-14-17 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We are now at 71,219 solar powered EV miles total miles are 93,711.
So now have 22,492 dino miles. We do not drive as much in the summer.

This sure is a lot of miles traveled with solar power without gasoline.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1497448922

pinballlooking 08-01-17 09:02 AM

I post about my volt. I usually talk about the savings I get with charging with solar power.

But this car drives so well it is a pleasure to drive. I have my Volt in the shop to look at the radio it is pausing for a couple seconds then comes back on. But this is very random.
They gave me a Chevy Malibu as a loner. I we all drove it and all agree the Volt drives so much better and can’t wait to get our car back.

Even with 95K you can’t tell at all it has that many miles on it is just enjoyable to drive.
We all agree on this and can't wait to get our car back.

Daox 08-01-17 11:45 AM

I'm more seriously looking at replacing my 2000 Honda Insight with a 2013+ Nissan Leaf. The Volt is a contender, but I like the hatch and the longer EV range. I do not need a vehicle that can go much farther nearly all of the time. When I do, I have a 2004 Prius that would get better mileage than the Volt. So, I setup a cragislist alert and favories to search cars.com and autotrader.com. Will start feeling out the market until I find a deal to nab.

randen 08-01-17 12:18 PM

Pinballlooking

Just for the giggles I done the calculations for money saved if you were driving a Prius here in Canada for the 71219 miles driven on sunshine. That would have cost $5013.00 CND dollars. That would have bought a lot of solar panels. The ROI is real.

Randen

pinballlooking 08-01-17 12:30 PM

Yes we are up to 72,395 EV solar powered miles. I still makes me smile to know that we have driven that many miles on the sun power. We have 95,168
total miles on our 2013 Chevy Volt so far.

We have saved $8,116 on electricity since we installed solar. Add the gasoline savings the natural gas savings now that we do not heat with NG. It all really adds up.

WyrTwister 08-01-17 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 55107)
I'm more seriously looking at replacing my 2000 Honda Insight with a 2013+ Nissan Leaf. The Volt is a contender, but I like the hatch and the longer EV range. I do not need a vehicle that can go much farther nearly all of the time. When I do, I have a 2004 Prius that would get better mileage than the Volt. So, I setup a cragislist alert and favories to search cars.com and autotrader.com. Will start feeling out the market until I find a deal to nab.

We had a 2012 Leaf for 4 - 5 months , and then some one rear ended it ! :-(

We liked the car , but new it was an in town only car .

If you are not educated about the Leaf , read up on battery bars and battery degrading .

I looked at a used Volt , but it did not seem as roomy inside as we wanted & did not find one for the price I was willing to pay .

Ebnede up buying a 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX with 37,000 + miles .

God bless
Wyr

Daox 08-02-17 11:43 AM

Thanks for the insights! I have done a pretty good amount of homework on the Leaf. I would like the 2013+ SV or SL model for the faster charger, removed battery hump in the back, heat pump vs resistive heating, newer more efficient motor and pack chemistry update that should lead to longer pack life.

My daily commute is 7 miles to work and almost all of my trips are under 10 miles one way. The 80 miles or so of range that the Leaf has will suite my needs quite well. When it doesn't, I'll simply swap rides with my wife and take the Prius.

WyrTwister 08-02-17 01:18 PM

If I was going to buy another Leaf , I would try for a 2015 or newer .

This is near the ned of the model year . Do not forget the possability of a lease , id you can get a good enough deal .

God bless
Wyr

pinballlooking 09-07-17 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 2013 Chevy Volt is up to 74,039 EV miles total miles is 97,603.
My extended warranty is over so hopefully it will keep being rock solid.
Two oil changes so far.

Here a screen shot from Volt Stat one over 400K total miles
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/attach...1&d=1504792435

MN Renovator 09-07-17 01:02 PM

Here is an article about the 400,000 mile Volt
This Chevy Volt Has 400,000 Miles On Odometer With No Noticeable Battery Degradation

pinballlooking 10-17-17 01:03 PM

My 2013 Chevy Volt is up to 76,034 EV miles total miles is 100,368.
76K sun powered miles sweet...

WyrTwister 10-17-17 06:21 PM

Congtats !

Well done , my friend . :-)

Wyr
God bless

pinballlooking 11-15-17 09:21 AM

Electric vehicle $7,500 tax credit is going away with new House tax bill

“Update: It’s now confirmed that a complete end of the tax credit by the end of the year is currently on the GOP’s House bill”

https://electrek.co/2017/11/02/elect...ouse-tax-bill/

I am concerned this will happen so I am very close to a deal on a 2018 Volt I should know later today. We are lifetime 75% EV miles.

My 2013 Volt has 77,148 EV miles with a total 102,286 miles two oil changes. It is sad to sell such a great car but Here are some of the changes.

New one 53 EV miles old one rated 38 EV miles
New one 43 mpg on regular gas old one 36 premium gas.
New one charges in 4 ½ hours my old one charges 4 hours
New one My link with android auto.

gasstingy 11-15-17 09:41 AM

Thankfully, it has to go through the Senate and then the Senate and House have to reconcile their two versions inito something they can send to President trump for his autograph.

Many are working to not let this credit be killed, including General Motors & Tesla {I don't think Tesla carries much weight in this regard though}. There is a little hope for this to do the normal phase-out.

pinballlooking 11-15-17 09:50 AM

I really hope the tax credit does not get phased out.

Personally I need the tax credit this year and I would not buy it new without the tax credit.

It was very hard to find the Volt we were looking for. After owning Gen1 we are very picky.

We wanted gray (satin steel) heated seats/heated steering wheel with Bose sound system cloth interior.
No other options. They are pretty loaded anyway even back camera is standard.

Dealer located one and should know if they can get it later today.
It from a dealer they trade with so it should not be a issue.

gasstingy 11-15-17 10:23 AM

Even if this gets killed, if you buy {take delivery and register it} this year, I'm near certain it would not apply to you. If it does goes through the way it was reported and you took delivery in January, you would not be eligible.

BTW, the $7500 tax credit is only good for $7500 if your tax liability, not the amount you've paid in this year, is $7500. This credit is not able to carryover if you don't use it all. There may be a couple of stratagies to increase your tax liability this year, bringing it from a future year to help max out the amount of your credit, though. By that, I mean, if you were to convert a Traditional IRA to a Roth, you would owe the tax that otherwise would have been deferred until you withdrew the money. Then, THAT money would be Roth, not subject to Federal tax when you withdrew it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't blindly trust this advice, but talk to a tax person to make sure whatever you do, you are informed about any possible negative consequences.

WyrTwister 11-15-17 11:14 AM

Best of luck with your new Volt ! :-)

How much are you saking for the old one ?

Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister 11-15-17 11:19 AM

How many miles are you now getting on a battery charge ?

Wyr
God bless

pinballlooking 11-15-17 11:25 AM

My 2013 Volt I am selling for 8K

I have someone that wants to come 1 ½ away with money on Sunday. (It is not promised to anyone)
If not I will trade it in they are giving me 7,500 for trade in. So on Monday if it is not sold it will get traded.
We are getting the same range as when it was new.
Today it was 42 degees out and I still got 38 EV miles when it is warmer we get 40-42 all the time.

pinballlooking 11-15-17 11:38 AM

Some good news EV tax credit it is still in the Senate bill.

Electric vehicle tax credit preserved in Senate’s revised tax bill, says senator
https://electrek.co/2017/11/09/elect...-says-senator/

I am not concerned that I will get the credit they will end it Jan one 2018.

But I would like to see it stay to help EV sales.

pinballlooking 11-15-17 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasstingy (Post 56288)
Even if this gets killed, if you buy {take delivery and register it} this year, I'm near certain it would not apply to you. If it does goes through the way it was reported and you took delivery in January, you would not be eligible.

BTW, the $7500 tax credit is only good for $7500 if your tax liability, not the amount you've paid in this year, is $7500. This credit is not able to carryover if you don't use it all. There may be a couple of stratagies to increase your tax liability this year, bringing it from a future year to help max out the amount of your credit, though. By that, I mean, if you were to convert a Traditional IRA to a Roth, you would owe the tax that otherwise would have been deferred until you withdrew the money. Then, THAT money would be Roth, not subject to Federal tax when you withdrew it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't blindly trust this advice, but talk to a tax person to make sure whatever you do, you are informed about any possible negative consequences.

I have no worries that I will use all the credit. I have more money than that sitting in the bank waiting to pay the IRS Taxes for this year. So I will take 7,500 of that money out and use it on the car instead of paying it to IRS.
Instant gratification. :D

It was a bummer to find out my state SC ended EV tax credit last year. That was $2,000 for a Volt.
They voted to end it early that is why I did not know that they did it.

pinballlooking 11-16-17 03:48 PM

I sold my Chevy Volt today. It is a sad and a happy day all in one.
We met at his bank ten miles from my house and he gave me a big wad of hundreds.
My new Volt is going to be here Friday or Saturday.

WyrTwister 11-16-17 04:48 PM

Congrats , my friend !

Here is wishing it serves you as well as the first one did ! :-)

Wyr
God bless