EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Individual Outlet Switches (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=172)

SVOboy 11-06-08 03:16 PM

Individual Outlet Switches

Thought these suckers looked pretty interesting: Harriet Carter Household Helpers Computer & Electronics Outlet Switch

I'd rather use a power strip, but for some uses they makes sense to me. Anyone tried them?

cmittle 11-06-08 03:54 PM

I prefer power strips as well, and where possible Smart Strips.

Tony Raine 11-07-08 08:53 AM

that is a pretty cool idea, but not for that price. i can get a 3 outlet power strip for a dollar at a local dollar store.

insaneintenti0n 11-07-08 11:13 AM

I just use GFCIs as on/off switches in my kitchen
Electrical > Ground Fault Protection > GFCI Receptacles > RECEPTACLE,GFCI,15 A,Commercial,Gray : Grainger Industrial Supply

knowbodies 11-07-08 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmittle (Post 1016)
I prefer power strips as well, and where possible Smart Strips.

I just bought and tried out an APC smart strip but it didn't work out for me.The lousy power supply in my computer uses too much power when the computer is off or in hibernate (10W). According to my Kill-a-watt, I actually use more power than when my computer is off but connected to a regular power bar. I'm taking it back to Staples and I will watch for the Energystar label next time.

cmittle 11-07-08 02:21 PM

I didn't realize it initially but for the first week mine did not deactivate the other things plugged in when my computer was turned off either. Eventually I did realize this and adjusted the sensitivity knob so that the other devices did turn off when I shutdown my computer. Did yours have a sensitivity knob?

knowbodies 11-07-08 03:09 PM

Nope, no sensitivity knob. It's going back to the store.

GenKreton 11-09-08 01:36 PM

This seems like a cool idea but I already arrange my power strips so I just flip the switch. However, I fell in love with the power squids and those can definitely be worth the money. I, as many people do, have a lot of strange sized adapters and the manufacturers haven't figured out how to make them so it's cord, AC-DC converter, then cord except in very few cases, so the power squids design is amazing.

knowbodies 11-09-08 08:07 PM

I was speaking to a co-worker the other day who is in the planning stages of an off grid home. One of the features he is planning is a switched green circuit with the master switch by the front door. The outlets for the green circuit will be distributed throughout his home. That way he can easily turn off all his phantom loads with a simple flick of a switch when he leaves and turn them back on when he gets home just as easily.

Tony Raine 11-10-08 12:05 AM

I went to home depot today and saw these single outlet switches for less than that online price. just thought i'd throw that out there if anyone is considering getting some....