EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   18 tips to save money at home (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126)

SVOboy 10-17-08 04:27 PM

18 tips to save money at home

The Simple Dollar is a blog that I subscribe to and really like, and today Trent posted a nice article on 18 ways to save money at home, so I thought I'd share in case it sparked anyone's brain: The Simple Dollar 18 Things a New Homeowner Should Do Immediately to Save Money

cmittle 10-18-08 10:23 AM

3. This afternoon I will go down and feel the water heater to see if a lot of heat is escaping.

5. We have already wrapped the water pipes with insulation.

6. We installed the programable thermostat and have it setup, although we may be making some modifications.

9. We are replacing the filter on a very regular basis to try to minimize my allergy problems.

12. We have swapped out CFL's in some of our light sockets. Will continue to do so as the rest burn out.

13. Energy efficiency was a big factor in our appliance purchases except for the dish washer. We don't use the dishwasher (we've run it twice in the last 6 months) and we just wanted something that matched our other appliances.

14. I've got the smart strips on my computer equipment in the office and our entertainment center.

I like looking over lists like this and getting ideas on what we can do to save money and reduce our energy needs while we are finishing the basement and purchasing new things.

groar 10-18-08 03:37 PM

Great list, bookmarked.

The best item is certainly the last one, with the link to A Monthly Home and Auto Maintenance Checklist.

Denis.

Daox 10-19-08 08:45 AM

Good list. I've done or am doing most of it already. Here are my exceptions and/or notes.

3. I haven't put a water heater blanket on yet. I probably won't go buy one. I do have some insulation laying around I should wrap around it though. The heater is already 12 years old and will be replaced by an on demand unit in the not too distant future.

4. I just picked up a remote control squirrel cage fan for the kitchen since it doesn't have a ceiling fan. I'll be laying it horizonally above the cabinets.

PaleMelanesian 10-20-08 01:47 PM

Here's one I generally work off of: Checklist for January Home Maintenance -- Midwinter
There's a page for each month. Some is house related, some is "other", but it helps me stay organized.

groar 10-20-08 02:03 PM

Hi Pale, happy to see you here :)

Great series of checklists :) bookmarked.

Denis.

SVOboy 10-20-08 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 775)
Here's one I generally work off of: Checklist for January Home Maintenance -- Midwinter
There's a page for each month. Some is house related, some is "other", but it helps me stay organized.

Sweet, thanks for the links, :thumbup:

toyobug 10-22-08 02:24 PM

i've bookmarked all the links! great info. Thanks guys!