EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   new house, lots to do. (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4486)

Mikesolar 07-20-15 08:19 PM

new house, lots to do.

Well, we just sold our 2000' house with a 20' x 20' back yard and moved to a 900' house with a 30' by 200' back yard.

The old 75 year old owners conserved absolutely nothing. I added up the light bulbs and they totaled 2450w of incandescent. We made a trip to the HD and came home with 320w of LEDS as replacements. So far, they are 8.5w Philips replacements for 75 watt spot lights (I think I could have gone down to 6w or less ea and still get great light). We also got a bunch of CREE lights to replace single bulbs. So far so good. I suspect I could probably do with 220w.

Next, there is a single window shaker and I got a deal on Friedrich 1 ton, 20 seer ductless, from my wholesaler. I found out that for a few years, GREE made these units for Friedrich rather than Fujitsu. I couldn't resist the $200 clearance price.

There is still an up the chimney 50% efficiency rental gas water heater which I will rip out. I will put in an electric one with PV power and off peak electric backup. That should work out all right.

More to come.

Quest 07-20-15 09:00 PM

please keep us posted.

Quest

AC_Hacker 07-21-15 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesolar (Post 46020)
Well, we just sold our 2000' house with a 20' x 20' back yard and moved to a 900' house with a 30' by 200' back yard.

Next, there is a single window shaker and I got a deal on Friedrich 1 ton, 20 seer ductless, from my wholesaler. I found out that for a few years, GREE made these units for Friedrich rather than Fujitsu. I couldn't resist the $200 clearance price.

Great idea, moving to a smaller house.

Helps to balance out the idiots who keep building bigger and bigger.

We have a tsunami of McMansions sweeping over my lovely city.

You are doing the right thing.

BTW, the minisplit sounds like a mega-deal!

-AC

Daox 07-21-15 09:08 AM

Sounds like a nice move. Keep us updated and if you can, post some pics (we love those). :) Thanks for sharing!

pinballlooking 07-21-15 11:02 AM

Congrats. What a deal on the MS wow.
I second on you posting some pictures.

randen 07-21-15 04:25 PM

What????

Your not going to replace that water-heater with a DIY heat-pump water heater.????

Randen

Mikesolar 07-22-15 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randen (Post 46047)
What????

Your not going to replace that water-heater with a DIY heat-pump water heater.????

Randen

Yes, Randen, Worry not, there will be a HPWH attached to it. Just forgot to mention it.

Daox 08-11-15 11:23 AM

Bumping for updates. :)

Mikesolar 08-11-15 04:44 PM

OK, hows this......two, 20 year old side by side fridge/freezers. Energuide label still on says 120kwh PER MONTH......replaced with bottom drawer fridges with 550kwh ANNUAL consumption. To top it off, one door on the main fridge was warped so it never closed. The old owners kept this going for years. I couldn't stand it for more than 2 weeks, haha. The damn compressor never stopped.

Me thinks I have a quick payback with this one.

I wondered how the house was heating up so much by 10AM so with the lights, heater of a fridge and the next big thing.....the attic. 800 ft2 attic, 2x4 ceiling joists, 2" of kraft faced batts + maybe 3" of vermiculite (possible asbestos used in it, i'm sending for an analysis) so not much insulation. Time for 16" of blown in cellulose.

Daox 08-12-15 10:57 AM

Hilarious, and nice replacement. 120 kWh per month, wow!

Attic insulation sounds like a no brainer. Don't forget to air seal before you do it (I'm sure you know, more info for others).