EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Appliances & Gadgets (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Wireless Internet Radio (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3988)

AC_Hacker 11-06-14 09:17 PM

Wireless Internet Radio

1 Attachment(s)
I got my first wireless Internet radio at a thrift shop for 20 bucks.

I was amazed at how well it worked, and the enormous, world-wide variety of radio stations it made available.

I became hooked on music from countries I never heard of.

It stopped working after a couple of years (no telling how old it really was).

That very day I was on-line ordering another one. After much searching, I got THIS_ONE:

I got it because it has generic internal rechargeable batteries (Ni-MH D-cells).

So, while you're listening to it while it's plugged in, it is charging the batteries.

The battery life is not as stellar as 4 D-cells might suggest, but quite enough for toting around the house & yard.

Sound is OK from the speaker, but plug a stereo line into it's 1/8" jack, and the real sound quality is apparent.

It will play:
  • Local FM broadcasts
  • "Local" Internet broadcasts
  • 15,000 global Internet stations (or more)
  • An astounding universe of Internet Podcasts
  • MP3, Wav, Flac music from a thumb drive (maybe a USB HD)

It has a good searching feature. If there is a station that it can't find in it's very large data base, you can go on-line and create an account specific to your particular radio. There you have the ability to create custom station menus.

Before I got my first Internet radio, I already knew that you can do the same thing with a computer... but I never did.

Since I have had mine, I am frequently telling people about this wonderful radio.

People tell me, "You can do the same thing with a computer"... but they never do.

Right now, I'm listening to the new BBC music radio service (BBC RADIO 6).

Great stuff.

Last night I was listening to Finnish Nostalgia Radio... cozy.

This morning I was listening to Turkish music.

Or news (in English) from Poland, or France, or Cuba, or Russia, etc.

Astounding.

-AC

NiHaoMike 11-06-14 09:58 PM

For how much it costs, you might as well just get an old Android smartphone (or even a cheap brand new one) and install it in a box with a better speaker and some batteries.

roflwaffle 11-06-14 11:46 PM

Or an old laptop running *nix. Serial/USB IR receivers are great. IIRC, you can configure any remote to work with lircd.

AC_Hacker 11-07-14 01:38 AM

Yeah, it's exactly like I said, everyone says, "You can do the same thing with a computer"... but they don't.

-AC

SDMCF 11-07-14 04:07 AM

The only radio I ever listen to is BBC Radio 4, via the internet on a PC.

ecomodded 11-07-14 09:54 AM

Its nice to not have to turn on the laptop or computer every single time you want to listen to internet radio or streaming music.

My smart phone is a internet radio

I use my iPhone with a internet Radio App and a pair of edifier Powered speakers. My Bluetooth keyboard controls it from anywhere in the house.

It can be nice to have the computer off once in a while and when guests are over.

AC_Hacker 11-07-14 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDMCF (Post 41526)
The only radio I ever listen to is BBC Radio 4, via the internet on a PC.

It's my favorite, too.

And although it may not be of any interest to you, I have enjoyed Finnish nostalgia radio, too.

I also like Portuguese Fado music, and I have found a station that plays Fado 24/7.

Also there's a curious and little niche genre call 'bard music' that was pre-Glasnost, Russian underground music. It's now considered nostalgia, but it is an interesting music that served an interesting purpose.

But I think my number 2 favorite station is WRN (World Radio Network). My preference is for that service is the stream that is tailored for European listeners, because I already get all the USA point of view I need. They have a 60 minute segment from some country, and then, on the hour they will change to another country. I have learned some of the most unexpected things, listening to that station! Like how Obama went on a European trip (for pleasure??). What I found out from Polish radio was that he was actually acting as a salesman for "fracking' companies, so that European ground water could become as contaminated as in the USA.

I also found a very interesting music stream coming out of Paris that serves an expat Arabic audience that now live in France. It's Arabic music, to be sure, but it is tempered by a Western sensibility.

-AC

AC_Hacker 11-07-14 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 41529)
It can be nice to have the computer off once in a while and when guests are over.

I agree.

Also, I think it's similar to the idea that, yes you can eat all your meals with a Swiss Army Knife, but sometimes it's nice to just sit down to supper and eat with a fork.

-AC

roflwaffle 11-07-14 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_Hacker (Post 41525)
Yeah, it's exactly like I said, everyone says, "You can do the same thing with a computer"... but they don't.

-AC

I do. Well, did. My mom gets the terrestrial stations she wants these days, so a normal radio is fine for her, but back when we were in the boonies I set up an old PIII laptop in a manner similar to this post so she could use a remote to change stations and lower/raise the volume.

Controlling Linux with a Remote Control — Mark Lodato's blog

I also used an X10 device and whatever X10 program was around at the time, I think bottlerocket, to turn on the speakers when she turned on the laptop, so they wouldn't suck down ~20W even when she wasn't listening to the radio.

AC_Hacker 11-07-14 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 41538)
...I set up an old PIII laptop in a manner similar to this post so she could use a remote to change stations and lower/raise the volume...

That's really cool that you did that. It's great that your Linux skills ar so well honed.

Not everybody has those skills.

By the way, HERE_IS_THE_RADIO that I started with:

Mine looked just the same, but was an earlier version. I actually liked the sound better, but the one I now have has more features.

-AC