EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What temperature do you keep your house at in the summer (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=555)

Higgy 06-15-09 10:29 AM

What temperature do you keep your house at in the summer

Ok, we had a winter one. What temperature do you keep your house at in the summer. And also, what kind of temperatures do you get during the summer (because that will probably affect what you set your thermostat to).

I don't want mine turning on too much so I set it to 76 in the morning and after work and 80 during the day, and either 78 or 80 at night. These are just testing temps for now. I just don't want to set it too low because I hate coming into a freezing cold house.

It finally reached 81 here yesterday and today. We've had a pretty cool summer so far, but now it looks like it's heating up. We usually have an average of about 75-85 with the odd 90+.

PaleMelanesian 06-15-09 01:18 PM

76-78 most of the time. We've already been up to 95 degrees, so it's looking like a hot Texas summer coming up. I'm gradually improving the attic insulation, which can only help.

groar 06-15-09 04:13 PM

Currently 32°C (90°F) outside by day. No cooling here, only ceiling fan in summer position. Inside stays at 26°C (79°F).

As the house is East/West, we installed shades recently in front of the kitchen window and the living-room bay (9x7feet). Gonna install a shade in front of the office bay (9x7feet) soon as the ground in front of the office bay is dark so very hot in afternoon and always hot in the evening.

These do have an impact on not heating in summer but will have to be removed in winter for these windows to be heated by the sun.

These shades may have an impact on the solar panels as the shades are light beige so they reflect the light. By preventing dark ground to heat they may also permit the panels to heat less, but this must be confirmed more thoroughly.

Denis.

truckncycle 06-15-09 04:52 PM

We are currently running the house at 78 during the day. If we didn't have house guests, we would probably bump it to 79 when we are out. A couple of hours before bed, I bump it down to 76. Around here, it usually cools off at night so I open windows when it is cool enough and run the whole house fan while we are awake. I do the same thing when I wake up. Except for some 100s we had at the beginning of May, it has been very mild so far. This has allowed us to open the windows to cool the house most nights (unless it is skunky or smoky).

TimJFowler 06-15-09 05:14 PM

We have no Air Conditioning or "Swamp Cooler".

We open windows in the evening and let the house cool off overnight (usually into the mid 60's) and close up the windows in the morning. Thanks to the new cool roof and attic insulation the house has only been warming up about 3-5º's Fahrenheit during the day on sunny and warm days (less on cloudy or cool days).

This is a huge improvement over last year with the old asphalt shingle roof and very poor insulation. Last summer the house would warm up 10 - 15º+ during the day and would take much longer to cool with open windows and fans running on high.

Tim

Daox 06-15-09 05:47 PM

I do the same as Tim. It works great so far. However, I have yet to own the house through an entire summer, so we'll see how it goes.

mincus 06-15-09 08:03 PM

Currently cooling to 78F. We were doing 80 last summer, but this year we have a 6 month old so the wife insists on keeping it somewhat cooler. The average day during the summer in St. Louis is probably between 85 and 90. In august we usually get a bunch of 90 to 95 degree days. Humidity is was really kills us.

We haven't had to use the AC much this year, been pretty cool so far. But, we're supposed to get into the 90s by the end of the week. We can usually get by with no air on an 80 to 85 degree day. I open all the windows at 5 in the morning, and put a box fan in one of the windows to draw cool air through. I keep them open a couple more hours until the sun starts hitting the house. Then I'll close them all up and close all the blinds. Doing this usually keeps our house below 80 all day (although by sunset, it does start to get pretty warm inside). My wife hates this method, but it definitely works. If I keep the house closed up at night, the AC is usually running by 8AM.

ldjessee 06-29-09 09:20 AM

I believe we have the programmable set for 78 during nights and daytime hours we would not normally be home and 76 for when we are there.

Even so, we almost always go down to the finished basement to hangout to keep cool.

ldjessee 06-29-09 09:29 AM

Sorry, am in mid to southern Indiana, so we have been in the 90's already.

truckncycle 06-29-09 11:35 AM

We bumped ours up to 79 yesterday and then only brought it down to 78 last night. It was 107.8 yesterday. Our poor AC was running constantly. It was only 69 outside this morning - not much cooling there. We will probably keep the house warm for the next couple of days until the outside temp cools some.