EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   EcoRenovator Blog Discussion (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   10 Reasons to Buy an Electric Mower this Season (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=512)

SVOboy 04-19-09 11:00 AM

10 Reasons to Buy an Electric Mower this Season

There is nothing like the roar of a gas mower on a Saturday morning to remind you that you’re living in an American suburb. But these days, those same mowers have come under fire for the comparatively high emissions they produce. Unlike most automobiles, they tend to be 2-stroke engines with little to no emissions [...]Post from: EcoRenovator.org

10 Reasons to Buy an Electric Mower this Season

More...

Daox 04-19-09 01:59 PM

Nice write up Ben. I look forward to my first hand experience!

jwxr7 04-21-09 09:46 AM

Last fall I traded my older gas push mower to my brother for an electric cord style mower. I need to get a good long extension cord so I can try it out soon.

Ryland 04-21-09 11:40 AM

My parents have an electric mower with a lead acid battery, I really like it, the battery tends to last 45 minutes to an hour, and tends to be replaced every 4-5 years at a cost of about $30 and with lead acid batteries being very easy to recycle there is very little waste there.
I really like it because it's quite, you can hear someone talking to you at normal volume, turning it on is just the flick of a switch, same with turning it off to clear junk out of the way.
I do tend to sharpen it more, mostly to keep it quite, but I'm also the kind of person who keeps everything sharp enough to shave with.

I have some ideas about making a 36v electric lawn mower using 36v lithium DeWalt batteries from my electric bike, a 1/3 hp electric motor and the only thing I'm missing is a light weight mower deck and a few adapter's.

Higgy 04-21-09 11:53 AM

If you do this, please let me know what you did cause I SO want to do this. And I want to set it up so that it gets charged up by a solar panel as well.

knowbodies 04-22-09 09:14 AM

I've always used an electric lawnmower. We had one when I was a kid, my wife's parents gave us one when we moved into our first house and I bought a new one about 10 years ago. In 30 years I've mowed the cord maybe twice. I just upgraded to a reel mower.

Higgy 04-22-09 09:59 AM

Oooo...a Lee Valley one. Have you used it yet or did you just buy it this year?

knowbodies 04-23-09 08:35 AM

I just bought it a week ago. No chance to use it though, the grass is still dormant.

Higgy 04-23-09 08:49 AM

Ya I kinda figured since your weather is the same as ours.

Which one did you buy? I think if I bought one it would be the one that goes 3" high (which is the last one on that page) just because I like the longer grass.

gascort 04-30-09 08:38 PM

Nice post indeed, Ben. I have a reel mower; I really like it, and if I ever find my yard is too big or I'm not strong enough when I'm older, I will have to try the electric.
My brother is going to buy a house this month; he's trying my reel mower out this weekend - I'll clue him in on electrics as well.