EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Geothermal & Heat Pumps (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   liquid air (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3287)

mejunkhound 10-31-13 09:06 AM

liquid air

Anyone built a air liquification setup from old AC parts?

Thought maybe a 3 stage (propane, CO2, air) AC type setup would work.
Have a few old compressors sitting around.

Then easy to get your own liquid N2 O2 and CO2 supplies for just the power costs.

NiHaoMike 10-31-13 09:09 AM

For oxygen, just look for an oxygen concentrator on Craigslist. Nitrogen is going to be tricky due to the purity requirements.

AC_Hacker 10-31-13 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mejunkhound (Post 32718)
Anyone built a air liquification setup from old AC parts?

Thought maybe a 3 stage (propane, CO2, air) AC type setup would work.
Have a few old compressors sitting around.

I think you might be on to something here... Compressors in series...

You might check out the Xtreme System Forum FORUM. I don't recall anyone trying to liquify air, but I do know that there are some two-stage compressor systems that have been built. As I recall, they used a volumetrically smaller compressor in the second stage, so the same would apply for subsequent stages, too.

Steel tubing seems appropriate instead of copper.

Some way to remove the heat of compression between stages.

Maybe do your initial testing behind a blast wall (no joke).

Sounds like a fitting project for a mad scientist.

Keep us posted... this kind of thing could apply to low temperature ASHP projects, too.

Also two stage compressors for making DIY vacuum pumps.

How would you separate the gases?

Best,

-AC

WyrTwister 10-31-13 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_Hacker (Post 32720)
I think you might be on to something here... Compressors in series...

You might check out the Xtreme System Forum FORUM. I don't recall anyone trying to liquify air, but I do know that there are some two-stage compressor systems that have been built. As I recall, they used a volumetrically smaller compressor in the second stage, so the same would apply for subsequent stages, too.

Steel tubing seems appropriate instead of copper.

Some way to remove the heat of compression between stages.

Maybe do your initial testing behind a blast wall (no joke).

Sounds like a fitting project for a mad scientist.

Keep us posted... this kind of thing could apply to low temperature ASHP projects, too.

Also two stage compressors for making DIY vacuum pumps.

How would you separate the gases?

Best,

-AC

I think I have reas that the oxygen and nitrogen are seperated , via their different boiling temps ? Can not remember which boils at the higher temp .

Carbon dioxide would have condensed at a higher temp , and seperated , before you got down to the temp of liquid air .

Do not know about the other trace gasses ?

All in all , sounds like it is more trouble than it is worth ?

But different strokes for different folks .

God bless
Wyr

AC_Hacker 11-01-13 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyrTwister (Post 32728)
All in all , sounds like it is more trouble than it is worth ?

We're talking about pushing out the frontier of DIY capability.

I think it would be a stunning achievement, to make your own liquid nitrogen, oxygen and CO2.

If it sounds like too much trouble, there is always a TV and an easy chair not far away.

-AC

WyrTwister 11-01-13 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_Hacker (Post 32730)
We're talking about pushing out the frontier of DIY capability.

I think it would be a stunning achievement, to make your own liquid nitrogen, oxygen and CO2.

If it sounds like too much trouble, there is always a TV and an easy chair not far away.

-AC

I have no shortage of DIY projects to work on . With the house , 2 cars , lawn mowers , etc. . These projects seem to hunt me down , no matter how I hide . :-(

In between , I am happy for the TV , couch and or bed to grab me . :-)

But , different strokes .........

God bless
Wyr

mejunkhound 11-01-13 09:03 AM

sounds like too much trouble

After 50+ years of 24/7 14+ hour days it is hard to slow down in 'retirement', even though still doing consulting work.

Heck, I STILL feel somewhat feel guilty if I sit in an easy chair for more than a few hours a day.

Besides, I tried to do liquid air diy back in high school (1950s) but only had pop's paint spray compressor to work with - so, maybe time to try again?

Somethings are simply 'fun', re; well drilling, - figured for time spent on that could have done day job for 5% of time and hired it drilled, but then could not claim to never having hired anything done except medical/dental.