EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ecomodded Fridge saves $$ (added foam insulation) (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2424)

ecomodded 10-05-12 12:46 AM

I was thinking a better set up would be too keep the fridge doors the same height but add the compressor and condenser on top after all our ceilings are 8 ft high.

classradiance 10-05-12 05:55 AM

good enough to monitor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 24699)
Do you have a kill a watt to measure how much power the fridge is using?

Just an idea . ..

Google Image Result for http://images-en.busytrade.com/211942800/Energy-Saving-Plug-in-Power-Monitor.jpg

I think I need to look at this now !! :)

MN Renovator 10-05-12 06:37 AM

"mnrenovator are you sure your's blows air out the front?"

Yes, when I cleaned the coils a couple of months ago I took a good look. The coils are the full width of the refrigerator compartment. There is a fan that pulls the air through the coils and the exhausts it under the freezer side and out it flows out the front. Basically the freezer side is like a duct. This also helps with passing the warm air over the defrost water to evaporate it out quicker. The back of the fridge has no vents its a solid chunk of brown masonite or similar material in that area so the air doesn't have a way of readily going to out the back.

Daox 10-05-12 08:08 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to pull my fridge out too now! I don't know if the coils are on the bottom or back... I too couldn't put insulation around the sides of my fridge, but I could probably put some on the back/bottom.

ecomodded 10-05-12 12:03 PM

I have the math on improvement made it turns out to be a 38% improvement.

Daox 10-05-12 12:16 PM

How are you measuring the fridge on cycle time?

ecomodded 10-05-12 12:31 PM

I timed the run time and off duration with the wall clock for a week, compiling a 10 page collection of run times in the process.
It is a high resolution measurement.

Also in the morning when its 15c inside the fridge will stay off for 3 hours and run for 30 min.

ecomodded 10-05-12 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 24730)
Looks like I'm going to have to pull my fridge out too now! I don't know if the coils are on the bottom or back... I too couldn't put insulation around the sides of my fridge, but I could probably put some on the back/bottom.

The bottom and back are the real problem areas.
I tested the fridge with just the bottom of the fridge from the kick panel to the compressor/condenser insulated for a few days and noted a shorter run duration consistently of 2 - 3 minutes and a 10 -15 minutes longer off time.

Daox 10-08-12 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 24736)
I timed the run time and off duration with the wall clock for a week, compiling a 10 page collection of run times in the process.
It is a high resolution measurement.

Also in the morning when its 15c inside the fridge will stay off for 3 hours and run for 30 min.

Wow, thats dedication! :)

Quote:

The bottom and back are the real problem areas.
I tested the fridge with just the bottom of the fridge from the kick panel to the compressor/condenser insulated for a few days and noted a shorter run duration consistently of 2 - 3 minutes and a 10 -15 minutes longer off time.
Now I'll really really have to do it. Every time I look at my TED data logs I can see the fridge turning on and off all day long...

ecomodded 10-08-12 03:23 PM

Haha it was dedication!, I actually tested each layer of insulation and its effect, the on time shortened and the off time lengthened predictably with each layer, i may yet add more layers down the road, but first i want to conduct more tests:).

Your TED will be liking the fridge insulation, I also wanted to mention that if you could, insulate the refrigerators top as the freezer section could use the extra insulation.