EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Search Forums
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showing results 1 to 25 of 25
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: DEnd
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 10-09-17, 10:11 AM
Replies: 13
Views: 13,343
Posted By DEnd
If you can swing it financially I would not...

If you can swing it financially I would not hesitate to switch to dustless minisplits for your heat and cooling. No duct losses, energy use that matches or beats most ground source heat-pumps except...
Forum: Geothermal & Heat Pumps 09-27-17, 11:13 PM
Replies: 96
Views: 47,828
Posted By DEnd
The Net gain comes from the infiltrated air temps...

The Net gain comes from the infiltrated air temps vs. The discharge air temps.

Basically the Unit brings in outdoor air at say 72ºF and discharges it at 32ºF, so basically there are 40ºF worth of...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 09-25-17, 03:33 AM
Replies: 8
Views: 11,703
Posted By DEnd
Is it surface water or ground water? If it's...

Is it surface water or ground water? If it's surface water then the berms will be the cheapest alternative. If the water is enough to cause foundation damage then some metal and clay won't stop it,...
Forum: Geothermal & Heat Pumps 09-25-17, 02:58 AM
Replies: 96
Views: 47,828
Posted By DEnd
Not quite in this instance. Since the unit is...

Not quite in this instance. Since the unit is working solely indoors, it is also using heat from other sources. That outside air is first warmed before it hits the unit. It's measured COP should...
Forum: Geothermal & Heat Pumps 08-25-17, 07:09 AM
Replies: 30
Views: 16,467
Posted By DEnd
You don't even need salt for this type of system....

You don't even need salt for this type of system. Water itself will act as a desiccant as long as its temperature is below the dew point. With this type of system when you do the heat removal...
Forum: Solar Power 06-04-17, 01:03 PM
Replies: 745
Views: 476,696
Posted By DEnd
Mega is upper case to differentiate it from milli...

Mega is upper case to differentiate it from milli (thousandth or .001). Anything Mega and up is capitalized as Peta (P), Zetta (Z), and Yotta (Y), also share lower case abbreviations with Pico (p),...
Forum: The Billiards Room 05-20-17, 08:05 AM
Replies: 7
Views: 4,168
Posted By DEnd
Subsoil wood contact with concrete matters (sort...

Subsoil wood contact with concrete matters (sort of). Wood will only rot in the presence of oxygen, and the further you are in the soil the lower the oxygen content, especially when you have an...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 04-26-17, 02:42 PM
Replies: 52
Views: 33,150
Posted By DEnd
Since you are doing a custom install, maybe think...

Since you are doing a custom install, maybe think about adding a second heat exchanger after the HRV, for summer use. The reason is you can up the efficiency of the HRV by running the hot outside...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 04-23-17, 06:14 PM
Replies: 52
Views: 33,150
Posted By DEnd
Ice and water shield does not prevent ice dams. ...

Ice and water shield does not prevent ice dams. It only provides leak protection from them. This is because the product is fully adhered and provides sealing around penetrating objects. Ice dams...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-21-17, 06:04 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 8,936
Posted By DEnd
Not having A/C does change the equation somewhat,...

Not having A/C does change the equation somewhat, but not a whole lot. You can go with radiant baseboards, or even a mini-split (and get the benefit of A/C for the few days of the year you "need"...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-20-17, 08:49 PM
Posted By DEnd
That's my point exactly, if the floor is cool...

That's my point exactly, if the floor is cool enough to need to wear slippers then you aren't getting the main benefit of warm floors. The other benefits are had at less expensive price points,...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-19-17, 11:10 PM
Posted By DEnd
This is about my favorite door sill detail for...

This is about my favorite door sill detail for concrete walls: door sill dtl | 363 HOUSE (http://363house.net/2013/03/02/accessible-door-sill-detail/door-sill-dtl/) Though I would get in touch with...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 02-12-17, 09:24 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 4,799
Posted By DEnd
Code is concerned with saftey, so there is a code...

Code is concerned with saftey, so there is a code issue with running Cat 6 parallel with Romex (as low voltage and high voltage cannot be run together, this is so that idiots who are messing in with...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 01-29-17, 09:18 PM
Replies: 61
Views: 55,882
Posted By DEnd
To lower the temperature in your garage do it the...

To lower the temperature in your garage do it the same way you would in a house. Insulation, air sealing, and mechanical heat extraction, also a lighter color roof and/or shading the garage.
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 09-26-16, 09:41 PM
Replies: 3
Views: 5,567
Posted By DEnd
The trusses are less insulated than the free span...

The trusses are less insulated than the free span part of the roof. This means they both warm up and cool down faster than other parts of the roof. This is because of the "thermal bridge" created...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 09-12-16, 02:45 PM
Replies: 39
Views: 25,975
Posted By DEnd
I would like to throw out a few design ideas at...

I would like to throw out a few design ideas at you. One of my favorites is Away space. The basic idea is that you provide a lounge/work space for each member of the family. Say you have two kids,...
Forum: Solar Power 07-30-16, 02:58 PM
Replies: 58
Views: 26,761
Posted By DEnd
The issue with adsorption chillers is initial...

The issue with adsorption chillers is initial costs and serviceability. If you go with a net metering scheme then it really doesn't make sense. If you are fully off-grid an absorption chiller might...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 07-24-16, 07:07 AM
Replies: 18
Views: 9,505
Posted By DEnd
A passive house is a decision on where to spend...

A passive house is a decision on where to spend your money. I try to look at things Via a cost for performance perspective, rather than just up-front cost. I'll even pay a bit of a premium when you...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 07-22-16, 11:52 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 9,505
Posted By DEnd
In that climate I would really consider the...

In that climate I would really consider the passive house approach. Without a need for AC you can get really really close to actually being truly passive.

I have to say I agree with you on the...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 07-19-16, 12:14 AM
Replies: 98
Views: 48,971
Posted By DEnd
Yeah the well driller can frack the well. Sort...

Yeah the well driller can frack the well. Sort of the same concept as fracking in the oil industry, increase the surface area of the well to allow more fluid to flow through. Fracking in water...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 07-10-16, 08:11 PM
Posted By DEnd
3 gallons per minute isn't a killer, it's not...

3 gallons per minute isn't a killer, it's not great but that is 4320 gallons per day. 3 gallons per minute is about what I have, but my well is also 600' and that flow is rock steady year round. ...
Forum: Geothermal & Heat Pumps 07-03-16, 07:35 AM
Replies: 27
Views: 18,903
Posted By DEnd
Spiv, It sounds to me like you have a fairly...

Spiv,

It sounds to me like you have a fairly low heating load. In that case for choosing equipment I would go for a heat pump over geothermal. I would also forgo hydronic in floor heat, simply...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 07-03-16, 05:27 AM
Posted By DEnd
Rain Catchment: by the time you count tank,...

Rain Catchment: by the time you count tank, filtering, water treatment cost etc... you'll likely be over the cost of a well. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of rain catchment, but appropriately...
Forum: Geothermal & Heat Pumps 06-29-16, 02:50 AM
Replies: 48
Views: 26,170
Posted By DEnd
Ok so I am far from an expert in HVAC and...

Ok so I am far from an expert in HVAC and dehumidification so take what I say with a grain of salt (pun intended).

Your initial idea of running a GSHP with the goal of reducing the latent heat...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 06-24-16, 12:02 PM
Posted By DEnd
Building a house is a huge undertaking. However...

Building a house is a huge undertaking. However it can be extremely rewarding. Go ahead and sign up for Green Building Advisor, and get a subscription to Fine Home Building. The Journal of Light...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 25