EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Search Forums
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showing results 1 to 25 of 28
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: Exeric
Forum: Appliances & Gadgets 08-25-14, 05:28 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 8,374
Posted By Exeric
Now don't you feel better now that you've found...

Now don't you feel better now that you've found an excuse to boast about your private life and your accomplishments. Ego is a powerful motivator isn't it? It's always an interesting question if the...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 04-13-14, 12:16 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 13,334
Posted By Exeric
Thought I'd post an addendum. I previously said...

Thought I'd post an addendum. I previously said that I thought I'd put in just over 3lbs of cellulose per cubic foot. That was just based on a rough uncalibrated estimate of how soft it seemed to...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-28-14, 09:38 PM
Posted By Exeric
InsulWeb...

InsulWeb (http://www.jrproductsinc.com/shop/pc/InsulWeb-c31.htm)

You'll also need some kind of hose to attach to the hose that comes with the blower you rent. It should be smaller in diameter than...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-28-14, 02:16 PM
Posted By Exeric
I did the living room, kitchen, and second...

I did the living room, kitchen, and second bedroom. I didn't use the lip stapling method as I wanted to get as much insulation in as possible. With lip stapling the convexity of the bulging...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-28-14, 12:36 PM
Posted By Exeric
My DIY cellulose wall dense pack experience

I had been planning this update to my house for a long time so now that the dense packing is done I thought I'd relate my thoughts and experience about it. I had a terrible time finding local outfits...
Forum: Solar Power 01-13-14, 07:27 PM
Replies: 28
Views: 15,086
Posted By Exeric
All the microinverters are tied in parallel on...

All the microinverters are tied in parallel on the roof and send 2 phase power through a 3 wire cable to the main electrical power and share 1 neutral (white) wire within that cable. I wasn't trying...
Forum: Solar Heating 12-31-13, 03:06 PM
Replies: 31
Views: 27,957
Posted By Exeric
I was thinking about this. Sometimes people wake...

I was thinking about this. Sometimes people wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I think both I and MnRenovator did on the particular day this interchange came up. I don't hold any grudges here and...
Forum: Solar Heating 12-20-13, 11:29 PM
Replies: 93
Views: 69,834
Posted By Exeric
HA, HA. I've got one! It works well. You just...

HA, HA. I've got one! It works well. You just point it when you turn it on at something who's temperature your interested in. The first thing you point it at calibrates it as a reference temperature...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 12-02-13, 12:49 AM
Replies: 15
Views: 7,842
Posted By Exeric
Mnrenovator, under ideal conditions the...

Mnrenovator, under ideal conditions the references I've seen show a minimum of about 60% conversion efficiency for a flat plate air solar panel. Conditions are never ideal however, especially in...
Forum: Solar Heating 11-26-13, 11:02 PM
Replies: 36
Views: 38,453
Posted By Exeric
Angry I don't know what I was thinking when I said a...

I don't know what I was thinking when I said a few comments back that the attic and outside temps converged between 7 and 8 PM. They don't. The attic and "unconditioned space temps" converge at that...
Forum: Geothermal & Heat Pumps 11-25-13, 06:09 PM
Replies: 62
Views: 30,005
Posted By Exeric
Mastic didn't seem that messy to me. It's much...

Mastic didn't seem that messy to me. It's much thicker than paint so it doesn't drip. Overall much less messy than painting. You can't stop a duct air leak with insulation so the main thing is to...
Forum: Solar Heating 11-23-13, 07:00 PM
Posted By Exeric
It seems the world is never quite as simple as...

It seems the world is never quite as simple as one anticipates. It's almost like the more I assume something without actually having prior experience the more likely I am to be wrong. You might be...
Forum: Solar Heating 11-19-13, 05:51 PM
Replies: 93
Views: 69,834
Posted By Exeric
It sounds like you have 2 things working against...

It sounds like you have 2 things working against you xringer. The first is that your basement and water heater may be acting as heat sinks. The water heater for sure and the basement maybe. The other...
Forum: Solar Heating 11-17-13, 09:21 PM
Posted By Exeric
Here's some pictures of the insulation...

Here's some pictures of the insulation installation. The ductboards are 2' x 4' in dimension and reflective on the side opposite being seen. They are equivalent of about R-8 (2 inches of fiberglass...
Forum: Solar Heating 11-17-13, 12:31 AM
Posted By Exeric
So the obvious answer to what I just said is add...

So the obvious answer to what I just said is add more insulation at those heat stress points. That's what I did and I used duct board rather than foam board, mostly because it was my preference, even...
Forum: Solar Heating 11-11-13, 11:56 AM
Replies: 31
Views: 27,957
Posted By Exeric
It's not a "claim". It's physics and I thought...

It's not a "claim". It's physics and I thought people would find it interesting. I did not put it there to divert attention from your thread. If you feel that way then I'm sorry. I'm always sorry...
Forum: Solar Heating 09-05-13, 02:24 PM
Posted By Exeric
I was waiting for someone to ask that question!

Daox, it seems appropriate that the first smart cookie to ask it was you. I have thought long and hard about that and have decided the best fan is no fan. I built the ducting to the living space with...
Forum: Solar Heating 09-03-13, 08:49 PM
Posted By Exeric
A bit about the building philosophy behind this....

A bit about the building philosophy behind this. From everything I've been reading most people install roof heating systems using the air to either heat some kind of reservoir, usually a crawlspace,...
Forum: Solar Heating 09-03-13, 03:25 PM
Posted By Exeric
Here are some pictures, hopefully in the sequence...

Here are some pictures, hopefully in the sequence of construction, so you can get an idea of what's going on. This first picture is of the interior roof that I painted flat black. It shows the 8"...
Forum: Solar Heating 09-03-13, 02:20 PM
Posted By Exeric
Attic heat project designed from the bottom up

I have been working on the attic air heating idea and have done most, but not all, of the construction on it. This is an offshoot from the Using Attic Heat for the House thread:...
Forum: Solar Heating 09-02-13, 07:55 PM
Replies: 219
Views: 218,116
Posted By Exeric
I decided to revive a long dead thread with some...

I decided to revive a long dead thread with some interesting news. I have been working on the attic air heating idea and have done most, but not all, of the construction on it. It uses an open system...
Forum: Solar Power 03-25-13, 02:17 PM
Replies: 25
Views: 15,669
Posted By Exeric
It sounds and looks very sophisticated. Quite an...

It sounds and looks very sophisticated. Quite an accomplishment.
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 03-24-13, 03:43 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 7,189
Posted By Exeric
Hi Michael, I can feel you getting in the...

Hi Michael,
I can feel you getting in the middle of a tug of war so I"ll try not to add to that. Since one has to have a regular bathroom fan anyway you really aren't wasting money by getting one...
Forum: The Billiards Room 02-24-13, 09:41 PM
Replies: 38
Views: 17,171
Posted By Exeric
Xringer, Not exactly true. From Wikipedia: ...

Xringer,
Not exactly true. From Wikipedia:

"The recent invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan were largely funded through supplementary spending bills outside the Federal Budget, so they are not...
Forum: Renovations & New Construction 01-13-13, 07:41 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 14,172
Posted By Exeric
Opiesche, It looks like you are doing a great...

Opiesche, It looks like you are doing a great job. There is a dividing line on how you handle crawl spaces that involves either vented or unvented crawl spaces. In vented crawl spaces the poly up the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 28