EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-14, 09:45 PM   #11
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 07:59 PM   #12
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I just found out about these:
http://www.menards.com/main/p-2407785-c-7482.htm

The Sylvania/Osram is a 19 watt T8 LED bulb, but the best part is that it's a TRUE replacement! You do NOT have to modify the fluorescent fixture in any way! (It does have to be electronic ballast though, which all mine are…)

Very bright. The pair of bulbs that I got are 4100 Kelvin, but it's a much nicer color than anytime I've looked at a 4100K fluorescent tube. (Maybe there's less of a green spike to it?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Servicetech (12-11-14)
Old 12-11-14, 05:51 AM   #13
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

1800 lumen is weak for T8. 1800/19Watts = 95 lumen per watt
For $4.50 (1/4 the price) toy get 2600 lumen @ 32W = 81 lumen per watt.
You need to run 3 of the LED bulbs @ a cost of $75 to get the same lumen as 2 T8 bulbs.
3x19 = 58W vs 64W for the Conventional T8. With a meager 8W savings it's going to take a LONG time to get your $66 ($75 - $9) back. LED still isn't there when compared to T8 and other high lumen applications. T5 is even more efficienct than T8.
Shop GE 2-Pack 32-Watt Cool White Fluorescent Tube Light Bulbs (Common: 48-in; Actual: 4-ft) at Lowes.com

That all beign said LED is AWESOME in other applications, especially focused light. CFL is awful if you need a directional/focus light.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 07:20 AM   #14
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
1800 lumen is weak for T8. 1800/19Watts = 95 lumen per watt
For $4.50 (1/4 the price) toy get 2600 lumen @ 32W = 81 lumen per watt.
You need to run 3 of the LED bulbs @ a cost of $75 to get the same lumen as 2 T8 bulbs.
3x19 = 58W vs 64W for the Conventional T8. With a meager 8W savings it's going to take a LONG time to get your $66 ($75 - $9) back. LED still isn't there when compared to T8 and other high lumen applications. T5 is even more efficienct than T8.
Shop GE 2-Pack 32-Watt Cool White Fluorescent Tube Light Bulbs (Common: 48-in; Actual: 4-ft) at Lowes.com

That all beign said LED is AWESOME in other applications, especially focused light. CFL is awful if you need a directional/focus light.
Servicetech,
My 4 foot 24w LED strips are much brighter than the CFL tubes they replaced.
I don't have the specs so I can't tell you the output but there is no way I'd go back to CFL's. The temperature looks around daylight but not over 5k.

I like the fact that I bypassed the ballasts. I think once manufacturers start coming out with a complete package they will be ballast free. My fixtures had transformer ballasts, I'll be happy to never see them again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shop-Light-H...-/161453441407

Rob

Last edited by Robaroni; 12-11-14 at 07:24 AM..
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 09:52 AM   #15
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
1800 lumen is weak for T8. 1800/19Watts = 95
I don't know. Subjectively, they FELT really bright!

Maybe I can set up two matched fixtures side-by-side, one with some T8 fluorescents, and one with the LED tubes, and then take photos with a camera on iris lockdown.

Also, in my case, I'm using very inexpensive, but electronically ballasted fixtures. Taking them apart is a real pain, but they are still very efficient, even running T12 bulbs. These are not fixtures that I would want to try rewiring, there's just really no space inside to work on them.

I like the concept of an LED tube that doesn't require rewiring because I think it will really help the masses adopt LED tubes. Not everybody is as handy with wiring and comfortable with working on electricity as the folks on this forum.

Last edited by bennelson; 12-12-14 at 09:57 AM..
Old 12-12-14, 03:35 PM   #16
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

ServiceTech, thanks for the challenge.

I tested out fluorescent T8's vs these LED tubes that I got, in a number of different real-world tests. The LED Tubes were BRIGHTER EVERY TIME, and beat the fluorescent in EVERY CATEGORY except price.

See the full Lighting Smack-Down on my blog. Lighting Smack-Down: 4′ Fluorescent Tubes vs LED

The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (12-13-14)
Old 12-12-14, 03:58 PM   #17
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
ServiceTech, thanks for the challenge.

I tested out fluorescent T8's vs these LED tubes that I got, in a number of different real-world tests. The LED Tubes were BRIGHTER EVERY TIME, and beat the fluorescent in EVERY CATEGORY except price.

See the full Lighting Smack-Down on my blog. Lighting Smack-Down: 4′ Fluorescent Tubes vs LED
Bennelson,
Thanks for the review!
I really love the LED's and as I suspected they are brighter. I only put one in each FL holder as that was enough for me. So I went from two bulbs to one LED and it still is better than the FL's.
I just bought an LED work light from eBay. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I'm tired of the super hot fragile fixtures that keep going out when I need them the most.

Designers Edge L1306 108 LED Portable Bright LED Workshop Lighting Green | eBay
Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-14, 11:05 PM   #18
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Rob,

I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw a post by you, that you had bought quite a few very inexpensive LED bulbs from ebay, and they were working really well for you.

I think you even included a link to the seller.

Did I get that right?

'Cause I've looked for it again, and can't find it.

-AC
Old 12-14-14, 07:21 AM   #19
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Don't get me wrong, I love LED. It's just the cost doesn't justify the energy savings. In an unheated garage where it's likely very little time is spent, how many decades before LED pays for itself? T8's are already very efficient, and work well at normal room tempatures. How many T8's have you replaced in a residential setting? They last a LONG time.

The REAL DEAL is when LED FIXTURES become more popular. They are already starting to show up at the big box stores, it's just a matter of time before they replace Edison/Flourescent all together. If they would make them in somthing between 3500-5000k I might actually buy them.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 08:42 AM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I noticed on eBay Yesterday LED T8 replacement tubes , 10w for $20 a tube.

I am going to be replacing the few mid 90's outdated fixtures in the basement with a simple light socket for use with T27 LED bulbs.

To Bad the CFL have such a poor start up light output as once up to temperature they are bright with very good bang for your buck.

ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote