EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-13, 11:10 PM   #1
where2
DIY Geek

Default Gutted Halogen = Retrofit LED fixture Franken-lamp is born.

We've all seen them: Those white or black floor standing halogen lamps that were all the rage 10+ years ago. You know the ones... They typically used a 300W bulb, and doubled as a mini-space heater.

Well, after several months of looking at mine running almost every night when my wife sat on the couch to read, I began to wonder what I could do to produce light more efficiently and at lower expense. Your local bright orange big box hardware store has recently started selling a Cree 60W equivalent (800 lumen) LED bulb that draws just 9W when running. They look almost exactly like a normal incandesent bulb, except in price. They come in both Warm White, and Daylight varieties. I pondered that for a few days and came up with a DIY renovation to the old halogen lamp. I bought two edison lamp bases, two 60W equivalent "warm white" LED bulbs, and proceeded to spend an evening making a frankenstein lamp of sorts. I took out the halogen bulb base, wired up the two edison sockets to the dimmer rheostat, and bent the steel edison socket holders to utilize two existing screw holes which I was able to enlarge slightly with a drill bit.

The end result: the two bulbs nestle nicely in the bowl of the lamp shade. The dimmer rheostat seems to work well to dim the two LED bulbs (yes, they are rated as dimmable LED bulbs). Best of all, I can run the franken-lamp on anywhere from 0.5W to 19W using the dimmer. So, the franken-lamp can run at 1600 lumens (full bright) for 15.8 hours, for what it used to cost to run the halogen bulb full bright for an hour!

I briefly considered simply adding to the scrap metal heap, and replacing my old lamp with a new lamp manufactured with edison bases, but the cost of a new floor standing lamp was simply outrageous (>$40), even in the usual "affordable" stores.

For those who care, I did try plugging franken-lamp into a modified sine wave inverter, and it seems to light just fine.

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
JayRowe (12-06-14)
Old 05-11-13, 02:03 PM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Sweet! If it puts out enough light, that would be a 93% reduction in power! And you may never have to change light bulbs in that fixture again!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 06:04 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Franken-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
...I can run the franken-lamp on anywhere from 0.5W to 19W using the dimmer. So, the franken-lamp can run at 1600 lumens (full bright) for 15.8 hours, for what it used to cost to run the halogen bulb full bright for an hour!
That is Franken-tastic!

-AC
Old 05-11-13, 08:37 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a great retrofit. Can we get some pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 06:15 AM   #5
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

This is one I would like to do. The wife likes it so i don't want to bugger it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	3183  
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 05:34 PM   #6
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
This is one I would like to do. The wife likes it so i don't want to bugger it up.
Mike,
You should easily be able to do that light with LEDs, assuming it has a step-down transformer and uses 12V bulbs. My dad has done a few lamps in his motorhome recently that were using bi-pin halogens.

I'll see what I can do for photos of the head end of the finished product, but right now the wife is sleeping on the couch.
Old 05-12-13, 05:59 PM   #7
where2
DIY Geek

Sadly, I have to get above 5 posts before you can see my creation...
Old 05-12-13, 06:00 PM   #8
where2
DIY Geek

Now that I am above 5 posts, you can see the Franken Lamp.

For those wondering about the survivability of the "zip cord" in close proximity to the bulbs, I can actually touch the bulbs after they have been on for 10 minutes at full brightness (they don't get wicked hot like an incandescent bulb). There is a concern about the wiring end of the bulb socket where you could potentially shock yourself, but I'll address that with some heat shrink tubing one of these days.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frankenlamp.jpg
Views:	3539
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	3192  

Last edited by Daox; 05-13-13 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Fixed image link
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-13-13)
Old 05-30-13, 01:23 PM   #9
Daox
Administrator

Looks good to me!

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 07:42 AM   #10
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Love the creation Dr Frank..e..n.., oh, never mind, but I wouldn't wait too long to cover the exposed wiring. I've met me, and if I didn't force myself to get right on it, it might never happen.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote