EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-17-17, 07:30 AM   #11
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Still ain't seen any pics. Sounds like it is working fine for your (perhaps imaginary) purpose, but I'm not sure if the thing exists. After all, this is the internet.

BTW, my (hippie) buddy has a split unit that size cooling his whole house. Maybe 1500 sq ft ranch. He put in a super Uber filtrete 3M allergic reaction stopper filter this spring. He just called me Saturday saying he didn't think his central air was working like it should be. Long story short, I took the ultra filter out and put in a 25 cent fiberglass filter in it's place. Like magic, the house cooled right down in a couple of hours! Except...

The attached sunroom is the last register on the line. To make the floor plan "more open", he removed the bifold divider doors last fall. Guess what: I believe that was the factor that tipped the scale after he swapped filters. The added heat gain and convection current pumped the heat in faster than the choked central unit could remove it.

I tried to loan him one of my monsters to cool the zone and dump the heat into his outdoor hot tub, but he wouldn't have it. Not pretty enough for the room...

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 01:48 PM   #12
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi oil pan 4,

You mention a 15 amp disconnect, but I believe those 2 ton require a 20 or 25 amp breaker do they not? Maybe my mind is slipping after 5 mini split installs.......
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 01:31 PM   #13
oil pan 4
Land owner

You are correct, a normal on/off compressor A/C needs a larger breaker. So far I have not been able to catch this unit using more than 6 amps.
I think it does this for 2 reasons, because it's an inverter so there is no inrush, it's high efficiency so it moves more BTU's with less power and it's over sized.
It's actually using almost the same wattage draw as the portable semi open loop A/C that wasn't cooling the house off.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 04:03 PM   #14
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Install

The inside install.

The outside install is pretty cool.
The circuit uses 10/3 with ground, a 20 amp breaker from the main to the disconnect. Then before the disconnect the I have a 5-15 and 6-15 duplex combination receptacle wired in, then have the disconnect as a 15 breaker.
That way I can have 240v power if I need it to run a grinder or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	7838  
Old 08-05-17, 11:05 PM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

According to my wife last summer the power bill was up to $220 last year in July and August.
This year the highest power bill has been $130.
The big changes other than the split units are I added more insulation above the attic and replaced the big single pane with window a higher end lowes special order argon filled one.
In the bedroom it's got attic insulation up above now and modern double pane non argon filled windows in the bed room. I also upgraded the window light block from 1 inch urethane foam to 2 inch R-6.5 foil backed styrofoam insulation in both windows. My wife works nights so the darker, cooler and quieter the bedroom stays during the long summer daya the happier she is.
Earlier this July it was 104 or 105°F out side, the 2 ton split was set to 68°F because for some reason I was worried it might not keep the house cool. Well it did, my wife was in sweat pants and shirt and said she was cold.
I was working out side in the sun and coming in every 15 to 20 minutes to cool down a bit, I thought it felt pretty good.

This year I need to bring the house more up to code. I have to put up a fire wall between the garage and living room. I'm going to put more of that 2 inch thick R-6.5 between the garage and living room and put 3/4 inch sheet rock over that. Fire code says to use 5/8 sheet rock.