View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 02:13 PM   #9
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyDoug View Post
I found a MPPT water heater control that has been on the market about five years.

Solar Hybrid Hot Water Solution - No Plumbing Mods Required - At TechLuck
Here is a follow up on the above mentioned device. First note that I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

It came well packaged but without documentation. I was about to contact the seller when an email arrived with the PDF manual. It is well written and clearly explains how to use the board. I was a little disappointed that it did not contain the technical data I was after. Since none of this data would be useful to the average buyer I can't blame the seller for omitting it.

I was able to extract enough details from the seller's website to extrapolate the rest. A PIC16F690 provides the MPPT algorithm. There is a MIC 10 blocking diode and a rather large zinc oxide varistor for spike protection. The double sided PCB is thoughtfully layed out and all components are screenprinted on the top side.

Being insensibly curious I wanted to know how this thing worked. So I started following traces and looking up component datasheets. Nothing made sense because because I really didn't know the first thing about an IGBT. It also didn't seem to have any means of monitoring current.

Re-reading the website I finally got it. This device doesn't need to monitor current to perform MPPT because the load is a simple resistance.

P=V**2/R.

The maximum power point therefore occurs at maximum voltage. There is no requirement for a buck/boost circuit. The PV voltage simply passes through the IGBT to the water tank heating element. The PIC modulates the on-time and a few electrolytics act as a buffer.

At 100% duty cycle the standard 240V, 4400W element would run at about 1100W if three PV panels in series were operating at a knee voltage of 120V and a little over 9A.

Purists might quibble over the use of the term MPPT. The end result is the same. It's just a special case made possible by the fact that the load is entirely predictable.

There is what appears to be a MOSFET next to the IGBT, both of which are heat-sinked to the aluminum mounting plate. I'm guessing it is used to drive the IGBT - a wild guess as I still don't know much about IGBT fundamentals.

Best of all, no batteries!
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrankyDoug For This Useful Post:
where2 (11-23-18)