View Single Post
Old 02-20-18, 11:17 PM   #61
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I once had a 1991 Laser RS. The 2L engine was from Mitsubishi Motors.
Some jerk in Japan forgot to put sealant on two screws in the motor wall between the live engine and the timing belt area.

As I drove, oil leaked out of my brand new engine and got all over the timing belt.
The stealership gave me the runaround for months, changed things that weren't leaking,
one of those things was the main crankshaft bearing+seal. They installed the new seal wrong. It was canted, just a bit
It didn't leak, but the two little screws kept on wetting the timing belt and pulleys.

When some idiot used an air-tool to put the small screws in the valve cover,
and stripped some of the holes.. I got very upset. When they put the left front wheel back on,
they over-torqued the lugs and warped the rotor so bad that my brakes were shot..

I took my old VHS camera and made a video of me using an 8 foot breaker-bar,
trying to get those nuts loosened.. Also showed the stripped screws in the valve cover+ a good rant..
I gave a copy of the video to the dealership and said, "that's the copy of the tape I'm sending to the CEO of the Chrysler Corporation".
They called me within the hour with good news. The expert from Mitsubishi would be in town tomorrow..
He found the problem, and screws were sealed, belt changed and the car was fine!
For about 40,000 miles, until that main seal popped out..
A local shop repaired it for $450 and I took it back the next day.. The timing was off.
One tooth off on the belt.. It's no wonder I like Toyota cars now..