View Single Post
Old 04-14-14, 02:24 AM   #62
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

The mini-split noise is the real deal and something I wish I would've known about. I run a Fuji 9RLS2, but I've seen comments on other models noting similar after I looked into it a bit more.

The inside unit is made of a giant metal 'radiator' encased in flimsy plastic; it was quite surprisingly just how cheap feeling it was. The light weight made it easy to mount - and likely produce and ship - and it doesn't look cheap once mounted. It's connected to two copper tubes.
-The radiator will 'ping' when it expands and contracts, mostly only during extreme temp swings. Sounds like the noise a submarine ping makes in movies. It may be less annoying to some, or simply they get use to it. I don't hear it too often and it was most often during very cold winter conditions.
-The plastic will also expand and contract and shift. Because it's made of many plastic pieces they 'tick' and sometimes 'crack' during this movement. This I find most annoying as it has a cheapness factor. Those with metal baseboard heating, or nearly all window A/C units or those hotel like all in one models never hear this because they are made of metal.
-The refrigerant will 'whoosh' quite noticeably too. You might remember this noise from an older fridge. The flowing noise is more noticeable when the unit ramps up or goes into defrost. I notice my unit tends to ramp up and down most during summer cooling, runs steady during winter heating, except during defrost which is a more extreme ramp up of cooling mode, and the fan is near silent then too. As it's just a plastic shell, it doesn't hide the whoosh noise at all.

All HVAC systems make noise, so it's more getting used to the differences, or learning of them. Some central HVAC's sound like freight trains rolling through. My cousins house literally shakes like a truck hit is when theirs kicks on.
-If you mount the indoor unit in a central location that you don't reside in, like sleeping or sitting often, you may rarely notice these things.

The outside unit I have in my Fuji 9RLS2 is almost invisible. I'd imagine if you mounted it on your house, or right under a window you spend time near, you'd probably here it just like you would about anything else, especially if you have expectations of 'quiet' before hand. The outdoor unit is especially quiet if your use to a central A/C outdoor unit that can be louder than a truck.

I'm going to dabble with the plastic pieces a bit, but I'm guessing it may be an effort in frustration. I once bought a new car that had a noisey shelf, and tried everything to silence it. Sometimes it is hard to tell exactly what the problem is.

[One other gotcha or disappointing selling technique is the filter in this higher end models. The advertising sounds like you are getting a real filtering system, or at least something akin to a filter panel in a central HVAC.
The reality is a thin strip of filter, that only covers 5% of the intake surface, the rest is a large pore mesh, and those little strips are EXPENSIVE, not reusable and not locally available. Basically worthless.]
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote